5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious yet utterly believable
This is a really funny book about a man writing a guidebook about France. Despite the humour, every single event in this book remains completely believable, and the main 'characters' are easy to identify with. All in all, a great read.
Published 1 month ago by gdj

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I only paid 99p!
With the long ist of positive re iew Iwas looking forwardto reading this, but unfortunately I ended up sorely disappointed. I found the writing rather poor and somewhat meandering without any real sense of purpose. The humor was lacking and at times the inner view of his family' travails quite embarrassing.

A dissatisfying read of a book which seemed to be...
Published 8 months ago by Nino

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Ben Hatch, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
I would have read this in one sitting if I hadn't needed to go to sleep. Really enjoyable book, some very funny bits along the way that made me lol and I felt compelled to read aloud to my husband too. Having read two of Mr Hatch's books in two days, I am off to buy another one! Not ready to stop yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and heartwarming, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book, funny, sad and heartwarming. Made me want to pack up the car and the kids and zoom off to Europe for a few months! Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted French Farce, 30 Dec 2013
Road to Rouen

Hand on heart, I bought Road to Rouen for three reasons:
1. I'm becoming addicted to one-click purchases since downloading the Kindle for PC
2. Rouen was the first place I stayed in when I ran away to Paris with an Unsuitable Boy
3. Twitter

As a read Road to Rouen is a light-hearted romp around France. For Ben, Dinah Charlie and Phoebe it was a long adventure during which the adults strengthened their relationship and the children became a little less English, a little more French. And along the way there were adventures and mishaps, smiles and tears.

I laughed, I smiled and nodded my head in agreement, I envied them their adventures, I blushed because I once got excited over the Onion museum at Roscoff, and at the end I vowed never, ever to go to Euro Disney.

If I have any criticisms it's the skipping-over of parts of the journey - I'd have liked to have read about Carcassone and grail-hunting, and the inclusion of the weird Pamplona episode which didn't seem very credible. And I did find it a little too honest at times, which made me blush in the manner of one who's overheard something embarrassing.

And for those who say that it's full of clichés and stereotypes, well, yes, the French really are frustratingly rigid when it comes to obeying the rules, and the shops still do close at lunchtime, and never open on Mondays and Sundays. But we still fill those Brittany Ferries every year, don't we?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant...this book Made me laugh and it made me cry.. So well written and A great read.. I Absolutely recommend this book

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell for it again!, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
After the first 2 pages of reading I remembered that I had read a previous Ben Hatch book and had been thoroughly disappointed. If you enjoy travel writing that gives you an insight into the places and people that the author meets, then do not buy this book. If you like reading about how badly behaved the authors children are or for an insight into his marital relationship, then this the author for you. What is worse is that the author is usually quite disparaging about the places they do visit, but take a perverse pride in how badly their childrens behaviour compares to the locals. Will not buy another Ben Hatch novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars audio version of the book, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
I bought an audio version of this book which I thought would be great for travelling to France this summer. Unfortunately the voice over actor was terrible and completely spoilt it. His voices were awful, an extremely gay sounding husband, a slow pathetic wife and silly sounding children were painful to listen to. I struggled to finish the book because I kept hoping it might improve, plus I was away on holiday, but I must find out who read it so that I never have to endure that torture again. I wouldn't buy another one from him based on what I heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me involved, 21 Sep 2013
Deepak (Wolves, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
I went onto this after coming across the earlier book about Ben Hatch's family travels in Britain. I like Ben's writing style and this book kept me engrossed. It would be interesting if the book was jointly written with his wife Dinah as some of the things Ben got up to would make 'normal' people shriek. An enjoyable holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Road to Success, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Paperback)
This is the second of Ben Hatch's travel books that I have read and this one is just a hilarious as the first, the very funny and poignant `Are We There Yet?'. `Road to Rouen' is both laugh out loud and heart-warming and an excellent read. Ben really writes to the reader and at times, you feel like you are listening and laughing with him as he conveys his stories to you down the pub over a pint.

This is a real travel book. Life as it really is on holiday and not some ad man's version of a package utopia of unattainable perfection. It's also a book about relationships, bringing up children and how life can be so unpredictable and challenging, but never dull.

So, if you like reading about real life families and family travel and laughing and sighing with the ups and downs of being away from home on 'Holiday' then I can't recommend Ben's work more highly. In fact, even if you're not that sure about reading about real life families and family travel and laughing and sighing with the ups and downs of being away from home on 'Holiday,' I would still recommend this as a great read.

Rather like the holiday I was on when I read 'Road to Rouen', I was sad when it was over. Great stuff and I'm already looking forward to the next of the Hatch's travelogues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 14 Sep 2013
We absolutely adored this marvellous story. It made us reminisce, snigger, and laugh out loud. In particular it reminded me of my childhood travels with my own parents and sibling. Ben Hatch is a very gifted author. I suggest you purchase "Are We Nearly There Yet?", which was the first book, in what I believe may well be a trilogy. My score is 100/100 well worth purchasing.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your money, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
Now in my fifties with grown-up children, I'd forgotten how self-obsessed people become with themselves and their children and of how little interest it is to the rest of the world. That doesn't mean we weren't too. Don't expect this to be any kind of tourist or rough guide to in this just them!

Road to Rouen
Road to Rouen by Ben Hatch (Paperback - 23 May 2013)