on 17 April 2001
This is a fantatstic book and saved the day when we bought an old house and inherited a 16-year old AGA. I was petrified of it at first but once I read through this book I was able to get going straight away. The book falls roughly into 3 parts. The first tells you all about AGAs - the different sorts you can get, a little bit of history and some of the other things you can do with an AGA (other than cooking!). The next section explains about the equipment you'll need and arrangements for servicing, with the final section covering recipes and techniques. I was expecting some really dull, stodgy recipes but I got it totally wrong. The recipes range from the traditional game casseroles through to risottos and pasta dishes. There are some really good puddings too. This is a book that builds confidence beacuse once you've mastered the cooking techniques - which are very clearly explained, you'll be willing to experiment and try most things. Well done Mary Berry! An excellent book for people like me who grew up in towns and are scared of AGAs!
22 comments|254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2009
I was a new Aga user a year ago.
thanks at least in part to confidence gained by following mrs Berry's recipes in this and her basic book, I can't imagine cooking any other way.
Highly recommend this book. everything i've tried has been a resounding success.
on 14 October 2011
really liked this book, however I thought it was an updated version of her Aga Cookbook - it isn't, so I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as comprehensive on the getting started tips etc that the original book had. Otherwise well worth it
on 23 April 2010
Really good book, explaining at the beginning how to use your AGA. I inherited one when we moved and it has really helped to get to grips with cooking on an AGA. The recipes are good too.
on 17 September 2010
I was lent this book before I had an Aga type cooker ( everhot) it has some good recipes and gives you conventional cooking temperatures too. I now use this info when cooking in my Everhot cooker,the recipes for 'cooking for a crowd' are excellent especially the beef with celery and sun dried tomatoes.
on 23 October 2011
Exactly as expected, very informative to the AGA owner.Would recommend it to any food enthusiast even if they do not have an AGA.
on 17 August 2009
An excellent starter book for someone who's just acquired an Aga and doesn't know where to begin. This volume opens with reassuring diagrams of the two- and four-oven Aga, and explains what part of the range is for what purpose. Then a quick jaunt through some fundamental principles, and finally a selection of useful recipes.

Just the sort of book to stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, and instil the necessary confidence to get going and get cooking on your Aga.
on 4 February 2014
We purchased a new house with an Aga already in it. Having no idea what to do this book is excellent for the basics for novices such as myself and gives wonderful recipes throughout.
on 11 November 2012
This book wasn't what we thought it would be.

What isn't made clear is that the basics - roasting, slow cooking and so on, those things that are special to the Aga style of cooking - are not covered. Presumably this edition is meant to follow on from the original book? But that's hard to find...

There is a comprehensive section on choosing your Aga and where to install it, which perhaps isn't too relevant to a cookbook as you'll probably have gone into all this before buying this book. After that it's just a series of recipes, basically for the Aga but with instructions added for users of conventional cookers. Surely that defeats the point? What we'd hoped to see was recipes which, if not unique to the Aga, exploited the special features and which would be difficult to reproduce with an everyday cooker.

Think twice before buying this - it may not be what you're looking for.
on 26 August 2013
I bought this for a friend who was moving away to the country and was inheriting an Aga stove. As she had always cooked on electric stoves I thought who better than Mary Berry to advise. My trust was not misplaced and the book appears to give just the right amount of advice to enable an experienced cook to make the changeover from another source of fuel. It might be slightly less helpful to a new cook as there are not quite enough pictures for every receipe but generally an excellent kitchen tool.