5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Of The North
I don't think I have ever read a book more than once,I have certainly never read a book more than twice but I know as I near the end of Maria's book for the second time that the 1st thing I'm likely to do when I finish it is to start it all over again! It is not only a highly entertaining and inspirational memoir of Maria's life so far,showing just how caring, modest and...
Published on 6 Mar 2012 by P. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gift
I gave this as a gift to my friend who is a midwife and she said the book is wonderful and the tales within are very close to her heart and some of her own experiences. Good for giving others an insight into the job and also the world of having children
Published 8 months ago by Jade

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
This is a beautiful and heartwarming story about an incredibly inspirational woman. I loved it from the very first page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab read., 15 April 2014
I loved this. Great for prospective midwifery students and I read it quickly. If you are a prospective midwife then I especially recommend this to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
This is the best book that I've ever read. Once I finished I wanted to ready it all over again. It's such a great book! I wish one day I can have a life like Maria!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 19 Feb 2014
I really enjoyed this book. It gives you an incite to what it's like to be a midwife and what they have to deal with. Would recommend to people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant insight into the world of midwifery., 26 Jan 2014
I loved the anecdotes, the honestly and the human approach that shines through the book. A brilliant insight into the world of midwifery.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Midwife, 4 Oct 2012
elkiedee "elkiedee" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A very readable account of work as a midwife in the NHS from 1989 to the present, written in a chatty, anecdotal style with lots of little vignettes about the variety of experience faced. Anderson has worked around Britain in a variety of different environments, from inner city North London to Inverness, serving a more rural area as the nearest hospital for much of the Highlands. I particularly liked the fact that one of her jobs was at the hospital where my sons were born.

I also appreciated the author's interest in developing midwifery practice and improving services for everyone - she mentions work promoting midwife led birth and breastfeeding, and trying to introduce lonely women who've just had babies to each other, whether Kurdish refugees or millionaires in Highgate mansions. She is outspoken about her views about services, a supporter of Surestart and a critic of current government policies for the NHS and services to women and babies.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
I loved this book. It gave me a great insight on how midwifery was back in the days compared to now. The aurthor really seemed to interact with her audience too. I would recommend this to anyone
10 out of 10 for sure

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting story let down by sloppy writing, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
Maria Anderson writes about her career as a midwife, beginning in the 1970s and continuing almost to the present day. She has many excellent anecdotes and tells some interesting and moving stories - it makes you think that it isn't actually that long since the midwife got to a case on the bus, and with no mobile phone could not be called to the next one!

The big let down is the writing style - it is very amateurish and reads like the first term of a creative writing class. Long, badly constructed sentences, many cliches; all the standard faults of poor writing. In addition there are spelling and grammatical mistakes, which are inexcusable. Apparently there is a ghost writer - she should be ashamed of herself.

A lightweight read in need of a literate editor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
Gosh, I haven't read such a terrible book in a very long time.
However, I do not want to spend time talking about the style of writing but rather the content.
As a midwife myself I am shocked to hear an approach to women that is about being 'good patients' - doing what we say and 'troublesome women' - who don't just agree to everything.
Birth is an intimate, indivualised event in a family's life, every one is different and our skill around birth needs to be tempered with the ability to quietly observe, gently nudge ( if required), explain and give space.
This is a book fitting perfectly with the horrors portrayed in One Born every minute, but it is not useful for women to feel able and strong to birth their babies.

1.0 out of 5 stars tales about her, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
This book was misleading as it was more tales about her and how successful her career was than any midwifery events

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa82ea2e8)

Tales of a Midwife
Tales of a Midwife by Maria Anderson (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)
Used & New from: 0.01