5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Of The North
Published on 6 Mar 2012 by P. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gift
I gave this as a gift to my friend who is a midwife and she said the book is wonderful and the tales within are very close to her heart and some of her own experiences. Good for giving others an insight into the job and also the world of having children
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Of The North, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
I don't think I have ever read a book more than once,I have certainly never read a book more than twice but I know as I near the end of Maria's book for the second time that the 1st thing I'm likely to do when I finish it is to start it all over again! It is not only a highly entertaining and inspirational memoir of Maria's life so far,showing just how caring, modest and unassuming one person can be. It is also a wealth of medical knowledge and stories delivered with the most incredible detail in a warm, endearing and amusing dialect. (Be careful, I woke up thinking like a Geordie! "Away Man!" I hear you say, but it's true!)Absolutely amazing read, a perfect gift for Mother's Day by the real Angel Of The North.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Mar 2012
Catriona Thomson "Cat" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
I have never been so engrossed in a biography before, this is a 'cant put down read' From the early days of Maria's career as a student nurse, to becoming a student midwife (who thought she wouldn't cut it!) then onto community, working with prisoners, women from such diverse backgrounds and faith even working with children becoming mothers themselves. This book offers an incredible insight into the life of a modern day midwife, Maria recalls some hilarious antidotes, poignant memories and some awkward situations all while attending each situation with her trademark red lippy. You can not help but read this book in a Geordie accent!! Maria's writing is incredibly witty, well put together and flows beautifully, whether you work in the field or not, this book is for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Loved it,a must read !!!!", 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
I cannot recommend this book enough. I read this book so quickly as I could not put it down. As a mother of two young girls, having the opportunity to understand the role and extended role of a midwife was wonderful. I laughed and cried at the trials and tribulations that Maria went through as an extremely dedicated midwife, wife, friend, mother etc. A must read!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of a Midwife by Maria Anderson, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
Tales of a Midwife is a fantastic read. A laugh a minute on how a young geordie lass from Jarrow achieved her dream to be come a Midwife. An insight guide on the in's and out's of a NHS Nurse, on what she had to do and learn to pass her exams. Top notch book and well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this!, 18 April 2012
J. MacColl "baby" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
This book totally captivated me!
I bought it for taking on holiday, I had a sneak peek at the first chapter and couldnt put it down.
Fantastic view at a wonderful lady who dedicated her life to midwifery :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
Very good book. Had great difficulty putting it down until I had finished the book. Just wish that Maria had been around when I had my children in Raigmore Hospital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of a Midwife, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
I read this via my kindle and what a read it was.
From start to finish it had my total interest. Although Maria wrote a little bit about her personal life, training and her family, it was so interesting.
Her stories of births were heartwarming, sometimes funny, some sad. The way she related her first visits to the maternity wards as a trainee had me laughing, oh dear I thought, how is she going to cope. She has proved herself though to be a first rate midwife with an excellent caring nature.
This was a good book and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of a Midwife is Brilliant!!, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
I actually came across this book when I was googling homebirths for my a facebook page, an article in the news about the book came up in the search, I shared it, then a couple days later I decided I was going to give it a go despite never before deviating from fantasy novels, I'm really glad I did! I loved every bit of the book though I was in tears at bits, I really admire the work Maria has done! And all midwifes! I love Maria's fight for natural birth & breastfeeding its great that there are midwifes like her pushing for that, birth has definately become unnessacarily medicalized! feel sorry that she never got the births she wanted but I'm guessing she wouldn't change it for the world :)
I honestly couldn't put this book down, which surprised me as I've never ventured outside the fantasy realm LOL
I would recommend this to every one, it doesn't matter if your not interested in midwifery as a career, if you love babies and love watching birth programs then you'll absolutely love this book, you will cry with Maria and Laugh with her all the way through the book!
Thankyou for sharing your story with us x

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of a midwife, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
I loved this book. It covers a fascinating period of time and is told with the authority of someone who cares intensely for midwifery and her patients. She's clever, feisty and warm. It all comes over in the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: Tales of a Midwife (Paperback)
This book is SUCH a good read. I purchased from amazon on a Sunday evening and it was promptly waiting for me on the Monday evening when i arrived home from work- i started to read it on Monday evening and by the following Sunday i was on the last chapter. I literally couldnt put this book down!
Maria Anderson tells her stories in such a gripping in interesting way.
I was gutted when the book ended as i enjoyed it so much.
If you are interested in and enjoy reading about babies/birthing stories- buy this NOW! you will not regret it!
Amazon is the cheapest on line as well- £3.99 is such a bargain!
I cannot rave about this book enough!
Enjoy!!

Tales of a Midwife
Tales of a Midwife by Maria Anderson (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)