5.0 out of 5 stars Bills Shaw Kill Switch, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Kill Switch (Hardcover)
Another memoire from a serviceman. No profanities, no needlessly gruesome violence, no bragging, no self aggrandizement. So far so good. This is an intelligently written book covering what was clearly an exceedingly difficult time for the author. Notwithstanding that it is written in a very accessible manner which ensured that both me and the missus read the book very quickly. She thought it was a little sentimental, I disagree - I think it was written quickly without the unnecessary hype and tactics used to sell books, which can be exaggerated and lean too much towards fiction. An honest account, and for that I liked it.
A very useful read for anybody likely to visit Afhganistan. An accessible book which can be read in a weekend.
This is the first time I've been moved to write a critique. Due to the theme rather than the story I'm rather hopeful there is no book 2. An excellent read - thanks.
Best wishes to you and your family Bill - enjoy your freedom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A throughly good read, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Kill Switch (Hardcover)
I've just finished this book and throughly enjoyed it, a strange thing to say, given the subject matter. Bill's integrity and devotion to his family shone through.
This is a book that is easy to understand for those who don't have first hand knowledge of army life.
I wish him and his family a safe and happy future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Shaw Kill Switch, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Kill Switch (Paperback)
The cover states ' A dramatic account of an honorable military man treated in the most dishonorable way'. I couldn't have put it better myself. The strength of Bill Shaw not only within the jail system to remain true to himself but in his willingness to tell his story to the world shows just the type of man he comes across as within its pages. An honorable man, stripped of his dignity who along with his family and supporters show their patience and resolve to fight a corrupt system to ensure justice would prevail. An extraordinary insight into the workings of a corrupt system and the fight to get a free man out alive, albeit I wish you never had to go through this ordeal Bill and family - thank you for telling your story to the world, it has opened my eyes from little old New Zealand as to what exactly is going on for our service men and women in such areas of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kill Switch, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Kill Switch (Kindle Edition)
This was an excellent read for me, I couldn't put the book down. I had heard about Bill experience but didn't know all the facts, I do now! I am an ex-infantry WOII now working in Afghanistan so Bill's book has made me very aware when dealing with the authorities here. Thanks Bill and good luck to you and your very supportive family. Jez

5.0 out of 5 stars Coping With A No-Win Situation, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Kill Switch (Kindle Edition)
The author's eminently readable account of a shattering arrest experience after a lifetime's journey from humble beginnings through a successful military career is told with honesty and humour. The interweaving of fascinating episodes from earlier in his life, and comparison of them with his circumstances at the hands of an incompetent and corrupt bureaucracy, is done with skill. Readers who enjoyed Roger Cooper's "Death Plus Ten Years" will find the story of Bill Shaw's unjust confinement, although shorter, no less moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 30 Jun 2013
S. Clarkson "Book Worm" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kill Switch (Kindle Edition)
I found this book fascinating whilst learning about the life our boys endure in hostile places such as Afghanistan and following Bill's struggle for justice.
All the best to Bill and Liz, enjoy life in the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars No kill switch needed for this book., 31 May 2013
This review is from: Kill Switch (Kindle Edition)
I found it very well written and one of those books i could not put down. A great and absorbing story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Kill Switch (Kindle Edition)
As a friend of Bill and having served with him I found the book very interesting about a period of his life that I had little knowledge of. It was a good insight into life behind bars in a foreign land and the effects it can have on an individual and the individual's immediate family members, often without the knowledge of the individual as the family protects him from the realities of the outside world. It certainly added to and expanded upon the scuttle butt that passed around at the time of the incident. Interspersed with other details of his life it should be of intrest even to those who don't know of him or the incidents involved but brings to the fore the harsh realities of life and risk assosciated with working in a foregn land, with unusual customs and practices and a legal system that can be perceived as complex and unyeilding. I enjoyed it and I hope you will too.

Kill Switch
Kill Switch by Bill Shaw (Paperback - 13 Oct 2011)