4.0 out of 5 stars great book - with pitfalls
Published on 25 Aug. 2011 by Scally Cross

2.0 out of 5 stars If you live in the UK this may not be for you.
My diet was going well until l purchased this book. Too extreme too American.
Published 11 months ago by Oonagh Dennehy

4.0 out of 5 stars great book - with pitfalls, 25 Aug. 2011
OK - I knew what this was going into it (I have Dr Barnards other book 'Get Healthy, Go Vegan) - but be aware that this is a Vegan kickstart before you buy it. The book is divided into the 'why' the 'how' and the 'kickstart recipes/menus' - and the why and the how are interesting in two ways. 1. Dr Barnard explains things - like what diabetes actually is and how it relates to your cells and body behaviour - in a readable and understandable way. He doesnt blind you with science, though the science references are there if you want to check up on the individual studies. 2. He makes good use (almost overuse) of NLP. The mantra's - you will succeed/achieve amazing results etc are repeated so often it's almost irritating. That said, in the 3 weeks I have lost 6 lb on a vegan diet. The recipes work, and are tasty - make sure you like beans, rice and pasta tho

Downside NLP is overused, and pages 1 to 122 are devoted to the vegan sell
Upside - it works

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "diet" I have ever done, 28 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart (Paperback)
I have done many diets over the years and always slipped back into bad habits. Most recently I have been juicing which has been great during a 5 or 7 day juice diet but what to eat the rest of the time? This book explains why a low-fat vegan diet is best for your health, it helps you to loose weight, is good for your heart and may help to prevent cancer and alzheimers. If there is a problem with the book, it is that the recipes have an American slant and I confess I have not made many of them. What I did was to scour my existing cookery books and the internet to find low-fat vegan recipes that I thought sounded tasty. There are many out there and I have found that my husband enjoys the meals too. I have not been hungry on this diet and the weight came off easily. I do still eat meat occasionally - when eating out - and I have the odd slice of cake. But, and here's the thing, when I do go off the diet, I can't wait to get back on it! This has never happened with any other diet I have done! I feel better and lighter somehow when eating this way. This is the first review I have completed for any book on Amazon because it has totally changed my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book - life altering for me, 11 Aug. 2011
ajnnngs (BANGOR, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book and did not realise it was advocating a vegan diet. I would not have picked it up if i had realised.There was nothing on the cover to suggest it. However the health claims sucked me in and I decided to give it a go. I immediately felt better than I have felt in years. I have not stuck to it religiously but have been following generally for 2 months now and am finding out so much more about the vegan way as I go along. The book is well written and readable and recipes have been simple enough and worked well. Coming from a farming background I am shocked that I now have accepted that it is wrong to me to kill and mistreat animals for my own ease and convenience. I never cared before. Though the book is more about the health benefits of a vegan diet. I just feel a difference in my mind and body like night and day and I expect that in the fullness of time will lose the extra weight I am carrying- have lost some already. Have even started running again. Yes this book and lifestyle kind of sneaked up on me and I doubt I will ever eat meat again (though I still am loving milk chocolate! - a bit less maybe.) Its not actually hard at all to be almost vegan, as i love bread, pasta, vegetables, beans spices. Though I worry when my conscience will make me throw out all my leather shoes and handbags! Would really recommend you read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars i'm staying vegan, 12 Nov. 2013
barnard is a charmer
everything is easy to read and understand, the 21 days just flew by... i'm staying vegan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Information contained brilliant, 29 Sept. 2013
Great help when first starting to follow a vegan diet for a variety of health reasons and to lose weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart (Paperback)
Great starter book to introduce a whole foods plant based diet, some nice little recipes.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you live in the UK this may not be for you., 9 Aug. 2014
Oonagh Dennehy "mayomaiden" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart (Paperback)
My diet was going well until l purchased this book. Too extreme too American.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for dieters & people who want to improve their health, 5 Feb. 2015
A healthy & sustainable way to lose weight. Full of fascinating information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 14 Sept. 2011
Hi,
This is a book that can help you to lose weight and turn to a more active and healthier lifesytle. It should have been written twenty years ago.

The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart
The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Dr Neal Barnard (Paperback - 5 Jan. 2012)