5.0 out of 5 stars By a cook you can trust
I've tried various Mary Berry recipes over the years although never owned one of her books. After trying out a Jamie Oliver cook book (wasn't overly impressed) I decided to get a Mary Berry book.

Published on 5 April 2013 by imawhinger

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment
I was very excited about this book, until it arrived. I thought it would have lots of different ways to cook a roast of all types. She covers off each type of meat, but only does one roast per chapter, the other recipies are like anything I could find in any of my other cook books. The ONLY reason I am keeping it and not returning is because of the gravy recipies at...
Published on 28 Jan. 2012 by QuackQuack

5.0 out of 5 stars By a cook you can trust, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)

So glad I did. The recipes are very easy to follow and have easy to source ingredients (something which can't be said for some other celeb cooks) and most importantly of all the dishes actually work.

I've tried quite a few of the recipes now and they have all turned out well. I also love the desserts. Some really nice old fashioned puds the type I remember as a child and she has inspired me to cook puddings more particularly as many of them include berries and fruit although must admit quite a bit of sugar too. So maybe just once a week!

Today I've baked the Higgledy Piggledy Pie (bramley apple and blackberry pie) and it was so quick and easy. It was meant for the next day but unfortunately we couldn't resist and have eaten half of it already. My 9 year old loved the pastry topping - a first for him!

Some of the recipes (this included) ask you to use a food processor and although I have one it's not particularly good and a hassle to fit it all together so I do some of the dishes the old fashioned way by hand and they turn out just as well. I would if you don't have a food processor invest in a large pestle and mortar as they are very useful for grinding spices. Yes it takes a while but works well.

Another firm favourite was the Fragrant Chicken Curry which is fab and has become a favourite.

The Orange and Honey Marinated Roast Chicken was also lovely and the sauce that went with it was even better, wonderful.

Love the tips on freezing and preparing ahead. I am sure that will come in very useful.

Can highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best!, 22 Sept. 2011
Dippy "Shine" (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
This Mary Berry book I consider to be one of her best. Down-to-earth recipes with no 'strange' ingredients. I have had this book a few days and already made the steak, kidney and mushroom pie. I have an old recipe I've used for years and considered unbeatable but this one by Mary is streets ahead! Absolutely delicious! Will be trying lots of the recipes because they sound so tempting and do not involve purchasing lots of ingredients. Can't wait to try Braised lamb shanks with apple and caper sauce, Cornish Pie, Orange and honey marinated roast chicken etc. There are also canapes, starters, vegetarian dishes, winter curries, summer buffet dishes and hot and cold desserts! Also listed are roasting charts and Aga information. Gorgeous photos and printed on high quality paper. A must have!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant beat Mary Berry, 22 Nov. 2011
Jinxxs (St Albans UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
Fantastic cookbook and very simple and easy to use recipes. Not just for Sunday lunch either. Have used the lime cheesecake recipe and it went down a treat with my guests. I love the simple additions to the gravys for different meats, they have really made a difference. My children have also followed recipes from the book. Mary Berry keeps it straightforward (which for me really helps). I also like the suggestions of what can be made ahead to make life less stressful on the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars sunday lunches, 6 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
Another brilliant book from Mary Berry .Her recipes are clear , uncomplicated and always successful.The Fragrant chicken curry was especiially delicious and even improves after freezeing .Also the Chicken breasts with white wine and mushrooms went down very well .The great thing about these recipes is that most can be prepared in advance .

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 27 Feb. 2012
S. A. Parkin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
Since I am from the same vintage as Mary Berry I have been a devotee of her recipes for longer than I care to remember. This book didn't disappoint me.
The format and photographs are fresh and attractive and the recipes original and tempting and as always with Mary Berry they really work. Thank you Mary !

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen of Sunday Lunches, 7 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
Full of excellent recipes, which have obviously been thoroughly tested, because my husband has so far managed to produce three sumptuous Sunday lunches from this book: coq au vin, roast beef with yorkshires and lastly, mushroom and haddock pie (in case you were wondering). Really superb results from a man who has been sorely tested by other, generally male, often less-reliable celebrity cooks. I myself have made the blackberry souffle and the venison casserole, to rave reviews.

The recipes aren't overly fancy or exotic, but they do allow you that smug feeling when you cook something that tastes great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great down to earth cooking but with that "extra special touch" and helpful tips., 30 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
Just purchased this book so haven't had the chance to cook anything yet but have read it from cover to cover.
It is just what I was looking for -a down to earth book of good family meals many of which can be prepared in advance great for entertaining large numbers. Great recipes with "that special touch" for good, easy to prepare and cook, family meals. I especially like the prepare and freeze ahead tips & instructions. Love the twist on cooking vegetables that lifts them from the standard "peas and carrot" mode to something suitable for a dinner party while at the same time keeping the preparation easy. looking forward to trying the chicken curry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
If like me Sunday Lunch is actually always Roast Chicken then this book will inspire you. Now I can do any variation of Sunday lunch and there are also a couple of proper vegetarian options and fantastic puddings from the Queen of Baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Jan. 2012
Mrs. H. Wallace (Angus, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
I have a lot of Mary Berry Cookbooks and this is one of the best! Superb collection of recipes. My kind of entertaining is that relaxed version you would do on a Sunday, but we do it on Saturday nights for 14 or so. Brilliant food. Had so many compliments from dinner parties in December about the menus. Made the quick liver pate with pistachios, honey spiced pork casserole, the gratin of winter roots and broccoli (which is superb and I did it again on Christmas Day), bulger wheat salad for a Hogmanay buffet, boozy red jelly, chocolate mousse and have markers in many more pages that I want to try soon. I don't have an aga, which doesn't matter. I do find all the cook ahead tips really useful and I can't praise this book highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars lots of useful hints, 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches (Hardcover)
Actually, having bought Mary Berry's all-round cookery book this was not quite as useful as I thought it would be, but it does have very good tips on cooking for large numbers and pre-cooking veg so you are not stressed etc and some nice recipes,so I would recommend it, easy and clear to follow instructions- she is a very good instructor!

Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches
Mary Berry's Family Sunday Lunches by Mary Berry (Hardcover - 1 Sept. 2011)
Usually dispatched within 7 to 11 days