5.0 out of 5 stars Funny book
Pressy for mum as she saw Jenny Eclair on TV and liked sound of book. It had her laughing quite a lot I'm glad to say. It's on my bookshelf waiting for me to read now.
Published on 29 Dec. 2010 by S. D. Mayo

3.0 out of 5 stars moderately amusing book for grumpy old women
I wouldn't say I laughed out loud much, but a lot of the content will make you nod your head in agreement. It's not a book to sit down and read all the way through, more one to dip into now and again. (My copy was kept in the bathroom!)

Lots of short snappy sections, on various subjects such as food, how to survive children and so on.

If you ever...
Published on 22 Feb. 2011 by L. Bretherton

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, 29 Dec. 2010
S. D. Mayo (England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Bible!, 25 Sept. 2012
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Chin Up Britain (Hardcover)
The nights are getting darker earlier, the weather has turned ultra nasty, the Government are threatening yet more cuts and Jersey Royals have disappeared from the shops. After the wonderful world of the Olympics over the summer and the flag-waving celebrations of the Diamond Jubilee it's back down to earth with a bump for Britain.

Chin Up Britain .... Restoring Common Sense to the Nation by Jenny Eclair (with a bit of help from Judith Holder) is the perfect antidote to the general miserableness that I feel at the beginning of Autumn.
Jenny Eclair always makes me laugh, whether she's being a Grumpy Old Woman, roughing it on I'm A Celebrity or trying to cook on Masterchef.

I remember reading her first novel Camberwell Beauty, well over ten years ago now, and laughing so hard and so loud. I was delighted to come across Chin Up Britain and I would now like to adopt it as my personal bible. I've been training to be a Grumpy Old Woman for many years now although I'm sure that most people just think I'm a bit of a sarky bitch.

Jenny Eclair calls her book 'part manifesto, part guidebook, part call to arms .... a book for people who want to see some sense restored to society.' Yes, let's bring back common sense, I am fed up with sighing so much every time I watch the news, or go to the Co-op, or even open my post.

Chapters include; Cheap Chic, The Chin Up Guide to Gatecrashing and Some Ideas To Make You Feel Richer - I laughed, I nodded, I snorted ...... I seriously considered actually doing some of these.

One of my very favourite tips from the book is under the Home Economics section - How to Feed A Family of Four Without Spending Any Money:

"Simply arrive at people's houses at mealtimes; they'll be far too embarrassed not to ask you to join them. Yum, yum - tuck in."

The perfect pick-you-up, I loved reading this book. Jenny Eclair is extremely funny, and always right!!

4.0 out of 5 stars grumpy old women, 26 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Chin Up Britain (Hardcover)
So so funny and true. Why is it we grumpy old ladies know exactly what is wrong with the country but the powers that be dont!!!!!! A very good read and makes me feel so normal as she so echoes my thoughts.

3.0 out of 5 stars moderately amusing book for grumpy old women, 22 Feb. 2011
L. Bretherton "dempie" (Tiverton, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Chin Up Britain (Hardcover)

If you ever watch Grumpy Old Women on TV, you'll know exactly what to expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars even as a man, 30 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Chin Up Britain (Hardcover)
i have watched jenny for many years and will always do so. her two proper novels were fab and i dont know why they have never been filmed for tv. this is funny. simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Chin Up Britain (Hardcover)
We all found this book very amusing to the point that others were being ignored whilst reading it. Must aheck other titles by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chin Up book, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Chin Up Britain (Hardcover)
Bought this for a friend who lives abroad so can't really comment on how good it is, but received it quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Chin Up Britain (Hardcover)
arrived in good time. Well packed, loved it, very funny.

Chin Up Britain
Chin Up Britain by Jenny Eclair (Hardcover - 30 Sept. 2010)