5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, wow and wow!
I held this book in my hand, I screamed with delight and then delved into the pages.
Because Ladies & Gentleman Louise Bagshawe/Mensch is back!
And WOW, is she back with a 'Beauty' of a book!

Published 5 months ago by Kirsty 'Love of a Good Book'

2.0 out of 5 stars After waiting so long, I expected a lot better
If I'm being completely honest, I was very disappointed with this book and would be surprised if other hardcore Bagshawe fans weren't equally as disappointed as me.

****REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILER****
Published 1 month ago by AC26

2.0 out of 5 stars After waiting so long, I expected a lot better, 25 May 2014

****REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILER****
I'm a big Louise Bagshawe fan, I didn't even know she had a book coming out, I accidentally came across it in Asda. I was immediately excited. From the get go, I realised this book was different to the Bagshawe books I'm used to.

My first problem with it was the serious lack of chemistry between Dina and Joel. They met and fell in love pretty much right away, nothing seemed to lead up to it. It was all to instant and there was no excitement. They practically declared love for one another having only met like three times, and those times were brief, it just wasn't believable.

My second problem - Edward Johnson. I think we could have met him at the beginning and seen the s***ty thing he did and then he should have disappeared until the end. It was a big anti-climax, he just started crying. There was no tense moment where we could believe our heroin was in any danger. There was far too much focus on him throughout the book - I even felt like he could have been an unknown enemy and the reader should be kept guessing who it was. This is certainly what I was expecting when it also indicated at the beginning of the book that her mother would also be out for revenge.

Another problem - I didn't want to be Dina and I didn't swoon over Joel. Dina had a hard life and yes, she may have overcame it business wise but she was loner with nothing throughout - well other than being beautiful. She was just boring to be quite honest. Joel was described as handsome, I didn't mind too much that he was so much older but he like Dina, was boring.

The whole book lacked any kind of suspense or intrigue, it wasn't page turning. It was a complete disappointment. Maybe because it's hard to forget she's a tory now that she's writing under Mensch - I'm kidding. The book wasn't good and the name wouldn't of made a difference.

I was expecting an exciting book I couldn't book down, this was not what I got. I really hope the next ones better. I have to say though I wouldn't waste money on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, wow and wow!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Beauty (Paperback)
Because Ladies & Gentleman Louise Bagshawe/Mensch is back!
And WOW, is she back with a 'Beauty' of a book!

Dina Kane hasn't had it easy, resented for being born and cast aside emotionally and financially by her mother, Dina is determined to get what she wants and she will succeed at any cost!

Dina is one of those characters who is blessed with brains and beauty but she isn't lucky enough to have anyone backing her, urging her to succeed.
She works hard for everything she has and unfortunately for her she makes a few enemies along the way, people intent on watching her fail.
I loved Dina's strength, her determination to fight was commendable and she has a flare for revenge, that sneaks up on those who hurt her the most.
From the very first page I wanted Dina to get what she deserved, what she wanted; the love of a family.

Edward Johnson on the other hand, deserved nothing and got everything. What a vile excuse for a man.
His theory that Dina is the reason for everything bad in his life, just makes me want to scream.

With Edward causing me to scream with anger, it's only right that the successful handsome businessman that is Joel, made me want to writhe with lust. Because ladies and gentleman this man is HOT and he has the attitude to back it up.
If I could've jumped into this book for just an hour, I would've spent 50 minutes with him.
The other 10 I would spend having a makeover with Dina Kane, the way she can look at a person and know how to transform them is a true gift.

The truth is, I could talk about this book for days. It lures you in with its words and spoils you with every page, culminating in an ending that is fabulous. This book has it all...

Brains, Braun (dreams of Joel) and Beauty!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book after a long wait:-), 23 Jan 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beauty (Paperback)
I haven't read many of Louise Mensch (better known as Louise Bagshawe) books, but the last one I read was pretty good. If I'm honest I didin't realise for a while that Louise Mensch and Louise Bagshawe were one and the same. When I picked this up I hadn't bothered reading the synopsis, and just dived right in. It didn't take long for the story to drag me right down with it and before too long I realised that I had read half the book in one sitting. I started to figure this book was going to be a good read.

The story centres on Dina Kane and trust me the girl does not have an easy start in life. As opposed to a loving and positive home she is born into a world where her father works all the time and her mother resents her. With that in mind the story unfolds and we see Dina struggle in her childhood. The book is set over a few years and as the chapters flew by I couldn't help loathing Dina's family. On the other hand I can't honestly say that I warmed to Dina that much either. She is a tough girl and although I didn't dislike her, it was hard to warm to a young woman that has to play hardball to get where she wants to be in life.

The story had me gripped as we see Dina grow up and try to conquer the business world. The story is weaved in a way that makes you want to read more and although Dina wasn't maybe my favourite character, I just couldn't help but will her on in her quest. The story is certainly worthy of a read and for fans of Bagshawe I don't think they will be disappointed. I for one, will certainly be continuing to read her work as I thoroughly enjoyed this and literally couldn't put it down. My only reasoning for the 4 out of 5 rather than the maximum is the fact that I just didn't like Dina as much as maybe I should have. Other than that this was a fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait for a new book, 19 Jan 2014
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beauty (Paperback)
It's been quite a few years since we've had any new books from this author, this is the first under her married name Louise Mensch the others were published as Louise Bagshawe, so I was very happy when a proof copy of Beauty appeared out of the blue from Headline.

The story revolves around Dina Kane who has a very strained relationship with her mother from the moment she was born which only got worse when her father died when she was ten. She has beauty and brains, which are both a blessing and a curse, which seem to make a lot of people jealous of her except for her beloved brother. Her mother barely tolerates her and refuses to pay out for her schooling, first she has to go to public school whilst her brother Johnny goes to a private school, so when her mother refuses to pay for her to go to college she sets out to make it on her own.

She's determined to earn enough money to put herself through college, initially working as a waitress where her creative ideas turn around the fortunes of the cafe, then she's head hunted as a manager of a coffee shop but it's when she starts working in an old-style pharmacy that her business ideas really kick in and pretty soon college is out of the window as she starts to make a name for herself in the beauty world. But as with most successful people in life she's made a few enemies along the way who are determined to bring her down...

Dina was an interesting and ballsy character, very wise beyond her ways, and although I can't say I completely agreed with the way that she took her revenge on the Johnson family I do understand why she did what she did. No matter what hurdle appeared in her path she seemed to handle it and made it through the other side stronger and more resilient than ever.

This was very much a story of ambition but also had it's fair share of scandal and revenge along the way too, and was an addictive read as initially I thought I'd read just a couple of chapters to see what I thought of it but before I knew it I was half-way through the book. I can only hope that we don't have as long to wait for a new book from Louise in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama, scandal and glamour!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Beauty (Paperback)
I would like to thank Emily at Headline for sending me a copy of Beauty to review, I really appreciate it.

MUST. REMAIN. CALM. Ok, this was INCREDIBLE! Aggghhhhhh, I'm not going to stay calm at all am I? I'm not even sorry.

I will be honest, when I first read the synopsis I wasn't sure it was my sort of book, but I was excited to give it a go because sometimes you find real gems that way, and boy did I find a real gem of a book.

The whole story is about Dina and how she refuses to be anything other than successful in life. Brought into the world by parents who never wanted her, she is lonely and unloved from the beginning apart from her older brother who adores her. Never shown any love from her mother, she has had to make her own way in life. Her brother got private school and had uni paid for him, Dina wasn't so lucky. Through sheer hard work and determination Dina is a success in school.

At sixteen, Dina convinces her mother to part with money in order for her to leave home and never come back. Dina sets off for Manhattan and finds a crummy little flat and a job waitressing in a run down little cafe. It's not long before Dina turns both her flat and the cafe around. This pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the book.

Working hard and getting noticed Dina goes from job to job, with the ability to turn them around and have them making real money. The same is said for her homes, after completely redesigning the first one, she buys it then sells it at a profit, slowly making her way up the property ladder.

Dina Kane isn't someone people say no too, she always gets what she wants. But nothing comes particularly easy and she works HARD. But now someone is out to ruin her for good and Dina Kane isn't the kind of girl who will sit back and allow that to happen.

I LOVED Dina Kane, I thought she was fantastic. She was incredibly beautiful, which was as much of a good advantage and is was a disadvantage. Girls were jealous (even her own mother) and men wanted her. I particularly loved her bond with her brother, she would do (and did) anything for him. She could of resented the way he got everything handed to him on a plate in life but she didn't. I admired the way she demanded the things she wanted in life and went out there and made something of herself through hard work.

To say I loved this would be an understatement. It was one of those books that once you started, you couldn't be away from it. It was highly addictive and full on from beginning to end.

It had drama, scandal and glamour. It was engrossing and throughly enjoyable.

This is the first book I've read by Louise (I know she has novels under Louise Bagshawe also) and I've enjoyed it so much I plan on making my way through every book she has written.

I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK. LOVED IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars The name may now be Mensch but this is Bagshawe at her best!, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Beauty (Kindle Edition)
An avid Bagshawe/ Mensch reader, Beauty harks back to Career Girls and A Kept Woman, two of my favourites, which I've read again and again.

The only thing I wanted more of is the relationship between Joel and Dina and would have loved the story to have been extended so as to include more of them together. Other than that, a thoroughly good read, I'd have read it in a day if I didn't have a five month old baby to attend to!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Louise you'll love this book, 31 Jan 2014
L. Payne (Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beauty (Paperback)
Similar themes to her other books - if you enjoyed them (written under the name of Louise Bagshawe) then you will definitely enjoy this one! If you haven't read her books before then your in for a treat. Most are based around love, loss and struggling to succeed. Brilliant chill out reads when you just want to be absorbed into a story without having to give it too much brain power!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that reminds me of a new Jackie Collins, 14 July 2014
A great book that reminds me of a new Jackie Collins. If you like Victoria Fox and Tasmina Perry you will enjoy this too. A gritty, racy story of power, betrayal, ambition and glamour with a touch of romance.

3.0 out of 5 stars easy reading but a little disappointing, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Beauty (Kindle Edition)
I felt like I was reading a book from years ago - stunning girl has terrible life meets dashing rich man and they eventually live happily ever after! Not as good as previous books by the author writing under the name if Louise Bagshawe

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
As always brilliant and unputdownable

Beauty
Beauty by Louise Mensch (Paperback - 16 Jan 2014)
12.73