Format: Hardcover|Change

Being a huge fan of Tasmina Perry's fabulous novels, I was very very excited when I started Perfect Strangers, and I rightly so, for it was one thrilling story!

In Perfect Strangers, we follow the life of Sophie, a posh Chelsea girl trying to come to terms with the loss of her father from a heart attack. After agreeing to house-sit an expensive Knightsbridge home, Sophie meets the handsome and sexy Nick. They start a passionate love affair, which suddenly ends as Nick is found dead, with Sophie in line as the murder suspect.

Tasmina has again created a novel where once you pick it up, you won't put it down until you've finished it, I found myself staying up til the early hours of the morning in a frenzy to find out what happened in the next chapters. The story is very cleverly written, with characters so real that I felt as though I was stood in the scene next to them watching the events unfold. Sophie in particular was a fantastic character, I backed her all the way and really wanted her to uncover the truth about Nick's death.

Perfect Strangers is fast, thrilling, and intriguing. There are a lot of surprises, twists and turns to keep you on the edge of your seat and desperate to read on! Tasmina Perry fans won't be let down one bit - A must read!
Sophie Ellis is a rich Chelsea socialite who seems to have it all. However, when her family loses all their money and her father suddenly dies of a heart-attack, Sophie's life changes significantly. She decides to pick up the pieces and go on as quick as possible, so when she is asked to house-sit for a new friend in Knightsbridge, she gladly accepts. At a glamorous party she meets handsome stranger Nick Cooper with whom she starts a passionate love affair. Yet, when Sophie finds Nick's lifeless body in the shower one morning and she is automatically considered one of the main murder suspects, her life is once again turned upside down. This time, however, it turns out to be slightly more difficult to find her way out...

I hadn't read a novel by Tasmina Perry before, and I was pleasantly surprised. From the first couple of pages I was captivated by the story and its exciting and intriguing plot. Who killed Nick, and why? What was going to happen to Sophie? I didn't want to put the novel down, and all the twists and turns which I seriously did not see coming only strengthened this longing to keep on reading. I really liked Sophie; she isn't your average Chelsea girl, which becomes clear from the start. She is thrown into a situation no one wants to find themselves in and I think it is very impressive how she deals with everything that is going on in her life. I adore fictional heroines who are strong, know how to take care of themselves and want to do the right thing; Sophie fits this picture perfectly. I found myself rooting for her straight away and hoping she would be able to find the real killer and go on with her life.

Tasmina Perry turns out to be one of those authors I have definitely been missing out on. Even though I initially thought this novel might not be the kind of thing I would like, I found out that chick lits with a touch of crime might after all be books I can really enjoy and get lost in. `Perfect Strangers' encompasses a great mix of mystery, excitement, drama and a touch of romance and keeps on throwing new twists and turns your way. If you're looking for a novel that includes both glamour and intrigue, then be sure to pick up this book. I certainly can't wait to get my hands on the next Tasmina Perry novel!
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a highly enjoyable read.. There are two parallel stories - that of Ruth a determined and dedicated journalist who is unswerving in her pursuit of a good story and Sophie a charming young girl who suddenly finds herself plunged into a breathtaking adventure. Their stories run alongside each other and meet only towards the very end of the novel. After a very conventional upper middle class childhood Sophie finds her life turned upside down when her father loses all his money after investing in a `ponzi scheme'. {A ponzi scheme is an investment scheme which pays returns to its investors from later investors, rather than from genuine investment profits and Ruth has sensed there is a story behind the crash in which this particular ponzi scheme came to an end}. Finding herself without any money and never having held a job Sophie is now living from hand to mouth so is delighted to be offered work as a personal trainer and even more delighted when her first client, Lana Goddard-Price[owner of a beautiful Knightsbridge townhouse], suggests Sophie might like to house sit for her because Lana is going abroad for a month. On her first day as a house-sitter Sophie finds herself plunged into an adventure that takes her to Europe, America [in a private jet] and back to Scotland. Sophie's adventures are about as likely as a James Bond novel but much more fun - as long as the reader goes with the flow and doesn't want reality this is a very agreeable read which, whilst it might not bear too much analysis, is extremely entertaining. fjs.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you like your characters to have a touch of glamour and the plot to contain some glamourous locations then you will definitely enjoy Tasmina Perry's latest novel.

Ex-Chelsea girl Sophie Ellis is coming to terms with the death of her father from a heart attack after he had lost the family money and good name in a Ponzi scheme.
Sophie was close to her father and treasures his last present to her, a secondhand copy of "I capture The Castle" by Dodie Smith. That book is one I have also enjoyed and while I have absolutely nothing else in common with Sophie (or any of the characters), I found this kind of detail helped me to warm to her.
Sophie is beginning a business as a personal trainer which then leads to an offer by her first client to house-sit her very lovely and expensive home. Lana the client, who is going away to the South of France, also suggests that she makes the most of the swish invites on the mantelpiece to go out and enjoy herself while she is staying there. Which of course she promptly does, starting that very night. At the £10,000 ball she meets the rich and handsome Nick and they of course start to fall in love.
Nick is found murdered just days later and Sophie is in the frame for his murder.
From now on the novel takes off and there are scenes of violence, intrigue and foreign criminals to follow.

Another character is Ruth Boden a very successful journalist who wants to find her next big story. Ruth does believe in Sophie's innocence and wants to find out who is the real killer.
Josh is another key character and a friend of Nick's.

I am not going to give any spoilers.....its a great book for a beach read, moving a long at a good pace without being overcomplicated by too many characters, and it did have enough surprises along the way to keep me guessing. It's good writing with no needless waffling!
The locations vary too, something I also enjoyed.
I'd say this book is like relaxing in a lovely warm bath but with plenty of fizz and energy to keep you awake all the way through.
I enjoyed reading this novel and would recommend.
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was the first Tasmina Perry novel I'd read, and I found it brilliantly frivolous. It does just what it says on the tin - glamorous locations, financial mysteries, tense car chases featuring Russians with guns, and lots of intrigue amongst the rich, powerful and beautiful - and although much of the plot is totally implausible, I didn't pick it up because I thought it would be realistic. Although the back cover doesn't make this clear, this is really a tale of two women; Sophie Ellis, a young socialite who's been left high and dry after the loss of all her father's money, and the older Ruth, a hard-headed journalist who is fighting for her job and needs to uncover some key scoops for her paper at all cost. Although Sophie is involved in the majority of the action of the story, I found Ruth more relatable and her plot-line more interesting; Sophie still seemed a bit empty-headed, despite Perry's attempts to mature her over the course of the novel. However, I still enjoyed reading Sophie's sections as she hops around the world to try and escape from her pursuers and find out what they want from her. Perry also writes competently, although the sex scenes were rather cringeworthy. In this genre that's par for the course, though, and I went straight out to pick up another of her novels - 'Kiss Heaven Goodbye' - from the library, which is always the best recommendation.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first of Tasmina's Perry's books that I have read and, for what it is - total escapism - I really enjoyed it. It was a non-taxing and easy read.

The story follows Sophie Ellis who, having had a pampered childhood, finds herself in poverty following the death of her beloved father, who has made a disastrous investment. Sophie falls into being a personal trainer and when she is asked to house sit for one of her clients, the scene is set for her to meet Nick, fall in love and for the plot to get more complicated. Nick is murdered and Sophie finds herself both suspect and quarry for some gun toting Russians who think the she has something they want. With a chase across the world, in the company of Josh, the only friend of Nick she knows, there are plenty of twists and turns and love interests aplenty to keep the story fast-paced, interesting and also deliciously fantastical.

High literature this is not - but for a bit of glamour, intrigue and as a plain old page turner, this is a pretty good read. I probably empathised more with journalist Ruth Boden, a side character, rather than with Sophie the main character who was a bit silly, and towards the end I was impatient for the different threads of the plot to pull together but overall I really liked this book.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
How this cries out to be made into a film! Two attractive leads, forever sparring, fleeing from one exotic location to another - police and murderous Russians in hot pursuit. Socialite Sophie Ellis, now feeling the pinch, is prime suspect for the murder of a lover recently acquired. What of her present companion Josh McCormack, so charismatic and full of surprises? Can he be trusted? Can anybody be trusted? Her mind will soon be reeling from revelations of dark deeds and betrayals....

Less frenetic but also appealing are Chief Inspector Fox and intrepid investigative reporter Ruth Boden, they growing ever closer as they uncover details of major financial chicanery.

This is sheer escapism, full of close shaves and fun. So what if at times credibilty is stretched to the limit, audacious liberties taken to advance the plot! Relish this world where the posh ARE posh, all designer clothes and accessories; the villains ARE villains, exuding such menace.

(Just one regret - no comeuppance for Sophie's so-called best friend Francesca, "the Sloane from hell").

Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 12 August 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had actually never heard of Tasmina Perry till I ordered this book from Amazon Vine,so I thought I would catch up with some of her earlier works before I read this one.I enjoyed them,but I wasn't enamoured with some of the characters,who appeared to be quite selfish and out for what they could get.
I was pleasantly surprised when I read this,and found lots of nice people,and a really exciting storyline as well! I was genuinely surprised when I discovered who killed Nick,and I couldn't put down till I found out what happened at the end.
I can definitely recommend this;it's the perfect holiday read!
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A Tasmina Perry book is like a box of chocolates (no, I am not going to quote "Forrest Gump") but you start and you just have to finish.

"Perfect Strangers" rockets along and is great fun reading. Never loses its pace and holds your interest to the end with lots of twists along the way. I have read other books by Ms Perry and she always entertains. Read this on holiday and my partner also read it as he had run out of reading material. He was initially unimpressed by the fact that this was the only book I could offer him but he thoroughly enjoyed it as well!
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Review from my wife as follows:

"In fact, I originally read this two years ago, but I jumped at the chance to read it again and express my appreciation. What a delight it is to read one of Tasmina Perry's books. She knows just how to hold you on the edge of your seat and keep you reading long after you should have put the light out.

It is well- written and full of genuinely credible characters. Not all novels set in the world of the glitterati achieve this, and it probably helps that Sophie, the main character, is an "ordinary person" who finds, as the drama progresses, that she really needs to keep her feet on the ground. All the twists and turns make this a story that you just cannot put down. You feel that you actually know the main characters in her book, and experience all the emotions as they do as if you are there next to them. It does venture into some unlikely scenarios, such as private planes and car chases, but you forgive the writer for the sheer fun, thrills and enjoyment of reading it. I did think it ended a bit abruptly, which left me wondering about one or two loose ends, but hey, it gets you thinking about the book again long after you have finished it, and that to me is a definite plus."