5.0 out of 5 stars The mysterium
Excellent. Once again m r doherty has written a well crafted and intriguing story. I recommend you read it wholeheartedly.
Published 1 month ago by andton

2.0 out of 5 stars Corbett is becoming tired as it seems the author himself
Published on 24 May 2010 by Amelrode

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Corbett is becoming tired as it seems the author himself, 24 May 2010
Amelrode (Vilvoorde) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In my liberary I have nearly all of Dr Paul Doherty's books and I actaully wrote my first review ever about a book by him. I was always looking forward to his books, but step by step I am getting more and more disappointed. The previous reviewer has already pointed out that this crime story is rather predictable. Yes indeed it is: just look for the most innocent looking one. Predictability can be off-set by a exciting hunt, but even that is not happeing. It seems that Sir Hugh is set for retirement and Ranulf is slowly taking over. It seems that is Sir Hugh is a bit of a reflection of the author himself. It seems has lost the grip, the excitment and fun of writing. He writes too much and has too many caracters to develop leading to the result that all stay the same. His description of medival life is rather the same and never develops. It is all too much a mass production and less quality. I am disappointed I have to admit. I have read worse books, but it far below the standards of previous times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mysterium not so Mysterious, 24 April 2010
Julia H (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Although am enjoyable read the latest instalment of the Hugh Corbett saga is not as engrossing as the previous volume Nightshade. Perhaps having read my way through the entire cannon Dr Doherty's oeuvre is becoming predictable. This book was spoilt for me by poor proof reading. My copy will be heavily annotated before long. I hope that this will not be the last we hear of Sir Hugh; of all the novel series Doherty writes these are the most enjoyable, though I find it strange that Dr Doherty having written a fascinating factual account of the theft of Edward the first's treasure from Westminster Abbey has chosen not to involve Corbett in the investigation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The mysterium, 26 Jun 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Would hate to think this is the last of the Hugh Corbett adventures, 26 May 2014
Whereas I didn't feel this was quite up to the standard of previous mysteries I love the ongoing development of Hugh's struggle with his deep religious convictions and his loyalty to his King whom he suspects is continually plotting behind the scenes and manipulating the outcome of his investigations. I do hope however, that Hugh's disillusionment with the "establishment" does not prevent him from tackling any future threats to the throne and the nation's stability. I would like to see his relationship with the shadowy De Craon explored more deeply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Entry In A Great Series, 30 Nov 2013
The seventeenth and final Hugh Corbett novel. To summarise, the first four were good reads, and the next twelve were outstanding. It was a Hugh Corbett book that got me into Paul Doherty's work and I've been saving the last one for when it was needed.

And it's exactly what I expected and exactly what I needed. An outstanding historical evocation - the opening sections in particular show just how unpleasant London could be - and an absolutely gripping plot. There is more character development for Sir Hugh and for his sidekick Ranulf-Atte-Newgate and a ruthless murderer. With a varied set of suspects (which this time aren't being murdered one by one), all with their own motivations, there is a logic behind the killings but it would take a better sleuth than I to spot it. There are a couple of impossibilities too, albeit not major ones, but they add a little complication to the plot.

Highly Recommended

For the full review, see classicmystery.wordpress.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Another roaring tale, 13 Oct 2013
What more can I say about Hugh Corbett and his adventures? I love the characters of Hugh and Ranulf. Really enjoy these books. Maybe now that I have read all HC's I shall have to move on to ancient Egypt?

5.0 out of 5 stars Man is a mystery, 1 Feb 2013
Another look into medieval England and its political,religious and social history Hugh Corbett and his ever present shadow ranulph aided by faithful chanson bring to an end a spate of evil murders and those guilty.and even questions king Edward 1st of his part in this evil plot and lays down his ring and seal of office having had enough . Will ranulf take up where Hugh Corbett left off ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Doherty - brilliant, 19 Jan 2013
Mr. W. J. Pritchard (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Again this author writes smell and colour into his stories. And the stories are gripping right to the end. I would recommend this author to everyone who likes a good yarn.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unread As Yet, 5 Jan 2013
Haven't yet read this book so checked out the reviews. I now know who the obvious culprit is and also that it looks like the end of Sir Hugh, without turning a page.
It would be nice if reviewers were a little more circumspect in their appraisals so that other readers enjoyment isn't spoiled.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange, 21 Aug 2010
Samuel Houston "Sam1" (Perth Western Australia) - See all my reviews
Have to agree with the other reviewers. Something is not quite right with this book.

I like the Hugh Corbett character but this is an usual way to end this series (if indeed this is the end).

I'd like to have one more from Sir Hugh so Doherty can redeem himself.

This book seems to be disjointed. I kept thinking when reading that this passage doesn't belong here or the flow is all wrong. Was the manuscript handed over to a junior sub-editoer and nobody bothered to check the final draft?

The descriptive passages seem laborious in places. Is PC trying too hard or has too many things on the go at once?

Anyway, whatever the reasons, this is not his best effort nor anywhere near as good as he can be.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mysterium (Sir Hugh Corbett 17)
Mysterium (Sir Hugh Corbett 17) by Dr Paul Doherty (Paperback - 28 Oct 2010)
Out of stock