Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2014
Pray For The Dying is really the second half of Funeral Note and would not, I imagine, be much of a read if you haven't read Funeral Note. Bob has moved to Strathclyde Police as temporary Chief so he has a new cast of people to work with which works well as Mr Jardine has probably taken the Edinburgh characters as far as he can. It will be interesting to see what comes next. I can't really say too much about the plot as it is so intertwined with Funeral Note and don't want to give anything away if you haven't read it. Suffice to say Bob tangles with MI5 and various politicians in his bid to find the person behind a contract killing and there are enough twists and turns to keep most readers turning the pages. I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it seems to me that the balance between Bob's home and work life is nicely judged - enough work to keep the reader engrossed in the plot and enough home to round out the character and make him a bit more likeable than a straight procedural would make him. I recommend this book as a great read on top of Sgt Dan Provan's patter.
on 8 June 2013
As usual this book has been gripping from the moment I started reading. The plot has several twists that leave you guessing right to the end. With Skinner temporarily taking control of Strathclyde Police, there are new characters to keep the series fresh. Add in the turmoil that is Skinner's family life and this book will keep you gripped. Mr Jardine, I salute you
on 16 July 2013
I have been a Quintin Jardine fan for many a year, and i have lived with Skinner and the team through all sorts of adventures, so i believe i am well versed in this writer. I am sorry to say i was extremely disappointed in this last book, it seems that the police chief constable of Glasgow can do what he likes, takes on MI5 and Scottish Government and of course wins, changes staff like theres no tomorrow and no tribunals, decides who will go where in other forces, Dundee, London and Edinburgh, has more contacts than James Bond, all the top legal and newspaper contacts are in his favour, boy when does he get time to sleep. I realise this is fiction, but some dollop of reality and research would help. I felt that this was a wee bit too far fetched and rushed to a point whereby the plot became ridiculous and British Govt officials were being brought down and yet the other characters were powerless against him. Sorry Quintin not your best work i'm afraid.
on 12 June 2013
I have been following Bob Skinner, the main character in the book since the beginning, liked some better than others, the last two have been riveting. Sometimes a little over the top, he has a complicated love life, the books are always enjoyable. I would say if you enjoy a good crime story with a flawed but likeable main character then this is for you. However my recommendation would be that you start at book one and see the evolution of the main characters.
on 8 May 2015
I found Pray for the Dying by Quintin Jardine on a hotel exchange table while my husband and I were on holiday in Portugal. I really enjoy the Bob Skinner books by Quintin Jardine and was really pleased to find it. Jardine is a Scottish author who was born in Motherwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland and educated before reading law at the University of Glasgow. He worked as a journalist, government information officer, political spin-doctor and media relations consultant, before deciding to find a job that was more in touch with reality. Thus, he took to the creation of crime fiction and has been very successful at this. His first wife, Irene, with whom he shared over 30 years, from their teens, died in 1997. He re-married to Eileen, a Geordie lady from the North-East of England and enjoys a happy extended family of four adult kids, two magic grandchildren.

The Bob Skinner novels are set mainly in Edinburgh, and are built around the adventures of the city’s wholly fictional chief constable, labelled early on by the publishers, Headline, as ‘Britain’s toughest cop’. There are at least twenty-three Skinner books in publication, from the fledgling Skinner’s Rules, nominated in 1993 for the John Creasey Award for best first crime novel of the year, to this Number One best-seller, Pray for the Dying.

Pray for the Dying starts with three shots through the head, as the lights dimmed at a celebrity concert in Glasgow. A most public crime, and Edinburgh Chief Constable Bob Skinner is right in the centre of the storm, as it breaks over the Strathclyde force. The killing was an expert hit. The shooters are dead too, killed at the scene. This book followed directly on from the previous book, Funeral Note reviewed here: https://bookreviewstoday.wordpress.co..., and answers the what, why and wherefores that arise with the conclusion of that one. It more necessary than normal to have read the earlier book. I do not want to give away any of the plot because it might spoil the story for you. Suffice to say, it is the normal Skinner fare which one either enjoys or hates. I am firmly in the first camp and always look forward to each new offering. I call them character mysteries wherein the story revolves around the personality, life and actions of the main character and the mystery is secondary. Though Skinner and his band of police officer are fixtures no-one is safe from Jardine’s pen and this always adds a touch of concern for ones favourite characters.

This book is a great read and I am not going to go into plot or events in depth because I opened the first page of the story and the author expertly directs the reader’s attention. If you have not read Quinton Jardine’s Skinner books give them a look. If you do not fancy reading from the series from the start Funeral Notes and Pray for the Dying stand alone well very well and are worth the time spent reading them. I highly recommend this book. This series is excellent, if you like the sort and this installment was one of the top ten.
on 21 April 2014
I have read all of Jardine's series about Skinner and to my mind by elevating him to Chief Constable, he has been unable to sustain the momentum of the character. In this somewhat implausible storyline he deviates away; mostly, from the criminal elements of an investigation and into the murky world of espionage and government control. I am sure it is well researched but the conclusion and some of the detail included in the book are not plausible.
on 7 October 2013
I am intrigued how some reviewers say they couldn't put the book down. I forced my way to a third of the way through and stopped. I found the characters were one-dimensional and the storyline was vapid. Uninteresting at best.
on 13 May 2014
Forgive my language, but, having read and enjoyed everything that Mr Jardine has published, I have to say that this is arguably his best yet.
Bob Skinner has moved to Glasgow and we have a whole raft of new characters to get to know, whilst still getting appearances from the old favourites like Mario, Neil, Andy, Maggie etc. The storyline is intricate and a wonderful mix of murder and political intrigue.
I really can't praise it highly enough, and if anyone reading this hasn't yet got to know Bob Skinner and the gang, then you have around 22 treats in store as you work your way through the catalogue.
As I've said in previous reviews of Quintin Jardine's books, the only problem is that each book doesn't run to several thousand pages or more. They really are that good.
Quintin Jardine is right up there with the very best of crime fiction and I look forward to many more episodes of the Bob Skinner story. With Scotland's inexorable march towards independence and, who knows, ultimate republic status, Bob could well be the first President of Scotland! He's certainly a better bet than Alex Salmond!!
Book 23 in the Bob Skinner series. As usual this book has been gripping from the moment I started reading it.. twists and turns all the way through it that leave you guessing right to the end. Fantastic book.... well worth reading
on 3 July 2013
This time round he has with this book started Skinner on his rise to fame with taking over Strathclyde as well as Edinburgh forces, if the stories are anything like he has just written, I sincerely hope that he will continue for a wee while longer.
It's a crying shame that more has not been made of this author, like Rankin was as in my estimation this type of storyline could be used in a TV series although who you could get to play Skinner is beyond me.

The only problem was that the Kindle version for some reason developed a fault, this has led to me being refunded for my book until Amazon and the publishers sort out the problem?