5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent on plot, research and characters
This book is written under a pseudonym of a well-known historian, and this clearly shows in the detail behind the plot and the period setting of this book. However, it is the characters which make this book so good, and the way that the author gives us a slightly different take on history, without a hysteria factor.

The story centres on a book given to the...
Published on 26 July 2010 by Joanne K. Pilsworth

3.0 out of 5 stars good start
It`s rare that I feel moved to write a review.But this book was so frustrating and had potential,and the way the main character developed let it down.This had a promising start,a strange middle and a bizarre end.If a reader is expecting CJ Sansom or Rory Clements ,forget it,the main character is sanctimonious,naiive and hypocritical.Pretty much unlikeable ,in fact.The...
Published 16 months ago by mike rob n5

4.0 out of 5 stars Great summer thriller, 18 Jun 2010
catherine "Catherine" (poole, dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
James Forrester's foray into the murky dealings of the Tudor court
are fantastic. I was familiar with the premise behind this novel, but Mr
Forrester gives it a fresh lease of life.
There is doubling dealing & danger everywhere in this cracking
thriller. I found it absolutely unputdownable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real historical thriller, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sacred Treason (Hardcover)
Really glad I read this, sort of Dan Brown meets CJ Sansom. A really clear and solidly researched historical mystery but with elements of a great thriller. Kept me gripped!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sacred Treason, 25 Jun 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very well written historical novel set in Elizabethan times that will hold readers interest to the last page. For a change oue hero William Harley better known as the Herald Clarenceau is a catholic and the villans are the zealous minions of Walsingham.
Late one cold and rainy night an aquaintance comes to his home and begs him to keep the chronical he has written for safe keeping, assuring Clarenceau that it contains nothing treasonable. He agrees, but once his visitor leaves he decides he had better read it for himself to be sure.
Much to his surprise it is an account of various insignificant incidents in peoples lives including his own. It is only when he reaches the last page he is astonished to read that the writer willl be killed on the following day by Walsinghams people.
Despite the weather he rushes off to his aquaintance's house to find no one there. He visitor had, unbeknown to him, decided to take refuge in his stable for the night.
His visitor dies as predicted the next day. He is sure that there must a plot and somehow he is involved. He is determined to get to the bottom of it for his own safety. The chronical is his only source of clues.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bland, 23 Nov 2010
Mr. M. Regan "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this book to my wife as she is a big fan of CJ Sansome and loves his books which appear to be in a similar vein. It was not met with approval I'm afraid, she did read the book and said that it was very well written in that the language and everything was very good, BUT, it failed to stir any kind of excitement. Even the bits that were supposed to be edge of the seat stuff, or dramatic she felt just didn't raise the bar in the book and it was all a little flat. All in all an very well written adn reaserached book but written in a slightly unintersting fashion that doesn't keep the reader gripped as it should. I feel 3 stars is a good review for this book adn I hope that James Forrester, who I must say is a far more talented writer than I could ever hope to be, improves as his writing style matures which will muve his novels up several notches.

3.0 out of 5 stars an historical mystery, 27 May 2010
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to love this book but, although i enjoyed it, I didn't love it!!!!
I chose it as I have enjoyed the work of C J Sansome and thought this would be similar.
It is but I didn't enjoy it as much.
If you like historical novels with a hint of mystery you will enjoy this but i would recommend Dissolution (Shardlake) more!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mum seemed to like it., 26 Aug 2010
Stuart Burns (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sacred Treason (Hardcover)
Having not had the time read this yet, I passed my copy to my father. I've just asked him what he thought and ... he hasn't read it yet. But my Mum says it has a "good story" which is high praise indeed since she's usually the ITV psychological drama as prose kind of reader. If I can offer more detail, rest assured this review will be updated.

Sacred Treason
Sacred Treason by James Forrester (Paperback - 14 April 2011)
7.19