5.0 out of 5 stars Anita's Powers Increase & Her Love Life Expands!
Published on 22 Feb. 2005 by Jana L. Perskie

3.0 out of 5 stars A preternatural soap opera
I have mixed feelings about this book. The plot is all over the place, things happen randomly, and I can already see this series getting steadily soapier and soapier. I knew it would happen... I just wasn't expecting it so soon.

Published on 20 July 2009 by Persephone

5.0 out of 5 stars Anita's Powers Increase & Her Love Life Expands!, 22 Feb. 2005
This review is from: The Killing Dance (Paperback)
"She is the 'Executioner' and has more vampire kills than any other human. She is a necromancer of such power that clients travel halfway around the world to consult her. She is my human servant, without a mark to hold her to me. She dates me without vampire glamour." So speaks Jean Claude, Master Vampire of St. Louis, as he describes the love of his very long life, Anita Blake, to a perspective client - one of the undead. And Anita is back, in Book 6 of Laurell Hamilton's "Anita Blake Vampire Hunter" novels, as feisty, savvy, and talented as ever!
Anita's preternatural powers are increasing, and in "The Killing Dance" the lines begin to blur between her humanity and the supernatural. Always an uncompromising and tough lady, she's is developing a hardness, a detachment, that makes her fearful. An assassin has been hired to murder Anita. There's a $500,000 price on her head...and she's only a human! No one knows who, or what, is responsible for contracting the killer. Anita's friend, of dubious nature, bounty hunter Edward, alias Ted Forrester, has volunteered his services as detective and bodyguard. Her two love interests, Alpha werewolf and wannabe "leader of the pack," Richard Zeeman, and the aforementioned Jean Claude, are the ones most capable of protecting her. They attempt to put rivalry and jealousy on hold until the emergency is over.
Meanwhile, the brutal werewolf king Marcus and his sadistic lupa Rania, are determined to fight Richard and Anita to the death. An extremely powerful, unpredictable new vampire enters the picture. Centuries-old Sabin is dying of an illness lethal to vampires and needs Anita's skill to help cure him. Dominic Dumare, Sabine's human servant and necromancer extraordinaire, accompanies his master to St. Louis. The pair have a malevolent air about them. Could their intentions be equally so?
There are major pluses in "The Killing Dance, and a few minuses also. The best of the best: Anita is inducted as a lukoi, (pack member) and Richard's mate; she also sees Richard "change, an event which alters their relationship significantly; a triumvirate of power is formed with unlikely members; a gala opening of "Dance Macabre," Jean Claude's newest enterprise, is held and the costumes are even wilder than the guests. On the downside, after five episodes of struggling through relationship crises with Ms. Blake, I think the resolution here is a bit facile. And there is a major and surprising denouement in "The Killing Dance" which may disappoint readers.
Ms. Blake is an excellent writer who mixes fantasy with mystery, romance and dark humor. Her take on this derivative genre is a most unusual one. The humor, as always, adds much to the novel....and there are plenty of laughs to counteract the violence. Ms. Hamilton's descriptive prose is outstanding, whether depicting room decor, landscapes, unlikely beings and characters, or the results of Jean Claude's outrageous penchant for designing clothes. These novels are addictive and will rivet the reader. I suggest reading them in order for maximum reading pleasure.
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars A ripping yarn, 30 Dec. 2007
John Nunn (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Killing Dance (Paperback)
"There are only two things you can do when you're dressed like Barbie Does Bondage; you can be embarrassed or you can be aggressive. Guess what my choice was."
Anita Blake, aka The Executioner, with over 20 vampire kills to her name (and those are just the legal ones), now finds that she is the hunted. There's a $500,000 contract out on her, dead. Edward must find out who ordered the hit. To make matters more complicated, Richard and Marcus must bloodily resolve who will be leader of the pack. On top of all this, Anita's complicated ménage gets distinctly steamy, and very à trois. Although with alpha werewolf Richard becoming less human as he fights for the pack, and Master vampire Jean-Claude becoming seemingly more human as he fights for Anita, it's difficult for her to decide who to choose. The sex scenes again are very explicit and can detract from the main plot.
It's fascinating to watch Anita's progress through the series. She has stayed as uncompromising and tough as ever, but she's getting a hardness that frightens even herself. And by the end of this book, because she's a much more powerful Necromancer, possibly even becoming one of the 'monsters', she finds herself paying a price and in a situation she would never even have considered in the first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, addictive and terrifying, 10 Feb. 2012
Tali (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I wrote a review of the first book and what I'd experienced of the series prior to this book and was most impressed. Having read this book and started the next I am even more so. This has been the most powerful story in the series so far, not only because of Anita's growing abilities, but because of the high passions between the three main characters, Anita, Jean Claude and Richard.

I have honestly never found myself tearful for anything less than the death of a main character in a book before. Yet i found myself teary-eyed towards the end of the book for the pain the characters suffered. It is not a happy book, but it is a great book. I had some hints in the previous books that the author was skilled enough and the characters strong enough to bring out high emotion in the reader, and this book simply proved that.

I am terribly impressed by the series so far and by its intricacies, strong characters and its realism (truly, though the story revolves around vampires, shape shifters and the Undead there is much realism in the characters, their reactions and their failings).

An amazing book in an amazing series. Possibly the best series I've read in a long while, and I still find that hard to process given that I have read a lot of good series' of late. I've already bought the next three books of the series for my kindle. There is no doubt in my mind that they will be excellent even if they are not at the same level as this book, because so far this author has yet to disappoint me!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would rate this book as one of my favourite in the series so far., 22 July 2011
This review is from: The Killing Dance (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 6) (Paperback)
The Killing Dance is the sixth book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. As always, I recommend starting from the beginning of this series with first instalment Guilty Pleasures. I always believe a book series should be read in order to allow the plot lines and character development to flow coherently. This series is no different. Saying this, Hamilton is great at allowing her novels to stand alone.

This instalment differs from the ones before it in that Anita Blake, usually the hunter, becomes the one who's being hunted. For reasons unclear, there has been a half a million bounty put upon her head. Anita, animator and legal vampire executioner, is not one to go down without a fight. The issue is, she has no idea who would want her dead so much. She seeks protection from the two men in her life; alpha werewolf Richard Zeeman and master vampire Jean-Claude. Can the pair put aside their differences and envy to make sure the girl they love lives?

There's a lot more of Richard in this instalment to make up for his lack of presence in previous book Bloody Bones. However, there's just as much of Jean-Claude. I don't want to spoil too much but by the end of the book, Anita has become a lot more intimate with one of her men.

I would rate this book as one of my favourite in the series so far. Although the tables have turned and Anita becomes the one in danger, it remains action packed and exciting. I read this book in one sitting alone as with each chapter, more excitement arose. Hamilton managed to surprise me once again. Even after the identity of the person who wants Anita's death is revealed, Hamilton throws another spanner in the works! I also enjoyed learning more about the history of the werewolves and their structure.

I'd definitely recommend this book and the series as whole to fans of supernatural and mystery. I can't wait to read the next instalment, Burnt Offerings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Killing Dance, 29 Sept. 2010
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Killing Dance is the sixth book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series by Laurell K Hamilton. This is my favourite book in the series so far.

Anita has a lot on her plate in The Killing Dance. Not only is there someone paying assassins to kill her, she is being accused of murder and she is having a real hard time deciding between the two gorgeous monsters in her life, Jean Claude the Master Vampire of the City and Richard the werewolf alpha.

The threat to Anita's life causes her to become closer to both Jean Claude and Richard, a lot closer than she anticipated. We finally see Anita commit more to one of her boyfriend's than the other and all I can say is, it was hot, I'm sure I was blushing reading it. By committing herself to one of her monsters it has meant that she has lost her relationship with the other, which wasn't what she wanted. With the mention of assassins, Edward makes a reappearance and it was nice. I thought he had gotten lost for a while there because he wasn't in the last couple of books. He was very involved with Anita's life - but on which side I can't tell you. Anita also discovers a new side to her necromancy powers and it proves to be quite impressive.

My favourite part of the book was the part where Anita was getting up close and personal with one of her suitors. I think it was the most pivotal scene in the book because it's where Anita finally makes her choice between her two suits. I am sure that this will mean something greater in the coming books, but what that is I don't know. I personally think that Anita made the right choice as this person knows her so well and vice versa.

Everything else that happens in the book is well written and the motives behind each character's decisions and actions all make sense when you get near to the end of the story. It annoys me when authors leave books with outrageous cliff hangers and you have to wait until the next book to find out what happens. Luckily Laurell K Hamilton doesn't do this and wraps everything up nicely and neatly but still leaving a little mystery to make you want to read more. I am amazed at the complexity of the storylines as they always keep me guessing who the `bad' guy is and I can never figure it out. It's one of the reasons that I love the series so much.

Out of all the books in the series, this is my utmost favourite and would recommend it to lovers of the supernatural genre.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book, everything I have said has been of my own honest opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Killing Dance sees Anita racing to discover who put a hit out on her, 4 Sept. 2010
The sixth entry in Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series - set in an alternative world in which vampires, werewolves, and other preternatural creatures have been granted legal rights in the United States - The Killing Dance sees Anita racing to discover who put a hit out on her, while also contending with a ritual murder involving necromancy, and her increasingly complex role within the werewolf community...

Much has been made, amongst Hamilton's less satisfied readers, of the eventual deterioration of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, and one frequently encounters the charge that the later books are little better than Mary-Sue erotica. But although the increasing role of Anita's sexuality in The Killing Dance might lead some to conclude that this was the beginning of the end, I actually think that - together with Burnt Offerings - it was the high point of the series.

While it is true that Anita consummates her relationship with one of her two supernatural love interests, it is an event that has been in the offing throughout many of the books, and could hardly be considered an incongruent narrative development. More to the point, it falls within an overall schema in which Anita must make a choice, and although the conclusion leaves the finality of that choice in question, there is not yet any sense that she can have it all. This gives the story - already strong on excitement and suspense - added emotional power. The presence of Edward - Anita's sociopath assassin "friend" - is icing on the cake, as he is one of Hamilton's most fascinating secondary characters. All in all, one of my favorites of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A preternatural soap opera, 20 July 2009
This review is from: The Killing Dance (Paperback)

The book opens with Anita being approached by a deteriorating vampire named Sabin -- his human servant asking the great Executioner to save his master from immanent insanity; but she's not sure she can (despite being a powerful untrained necromancer). This is just one of things Anita faces in The Killing Dance. Closer to home, Edward shows up and informs Anita that he's been offered a huge amount of money to take Anita out by midnight. Instead of taking the job he appropriates himself as her body guard. The other main plots in this book are the irritating love triangle and the werewolf arc, which is more or less concluded here.

I love Edward and thought his parts were the most enjoyable and interesting. I also loved the very brief appearance from Dolph, who apparently is very protective of Anita -- it added a interesting note to their relationship. I liked that neither Edward nor Dolph were very impressed by her becoming intimate with the monsters.

I really like Jean-Claude as a character and enjoyed the titbits of information we got about his past here (more please!), yet I had to wonder what on earth Anita was thinking at the end of the book. Poor Richard got hung out to dry. Richard in himself is not all that compelling but I've really grown to adore him -- he's a good person with decent morals, and he loves Anita very much. I felt really sad for him here and I'm annoyed that Hamilton didn't follow the organic frame of the story better. Anita's actions just made no sense to me. The focus on the love trinagle meant that the other story points sagged under its weight and weren't really fully developed; things that could have been exciting weren't. The writing was very hit and miss... it's a shame because there was a lot of potential here.

Overall, a very mixed affair. I found the book very difficult to get through despite some brilliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anita Blake kicks *ss again.She's got style, and ATTITUDE!, 22 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
I first discovered "Killing Dance" by blind chance/luck. I read it in one day, read it twice more (and was pretty bleary-eyed by then), ran out and bought the previous books in the series, then read each one over and over several times. Then suffered withdrawal symptoms waiting for the next... and the next.
It is more likely Anita would end up with JP because, noble as she is in her own strange way, she nevertheless has more darkness in her nature than light, considering what she is (a necromancer), what she does (executes vampires), the parts of her humanity she has had to give up to survive, plus the early, vividly remembered childhood trauma of losing her mother tragically (versus after a long, slow illness). If things were different it would make more sense that she'd go with Richard. But the world isn't a safe place, and she understands JP more than she does the Boy Scout (cute though he be).
Talk about a hot ending. I needed a smoke after that. And I don't even smoke! This was the best of the bunch. The 2 after were a bit disappointing in comparison.
Anita Blake is funny, sexy, tough, mouthy and flawed. I love that! I also love the way Hamilton writes so you can see the action, and you can feel the chill and the gut-deep fear, along with the characters. And what characters. The main cast is wonderful, then she adds delightful and/or interesting individuals like Jason, Larry, Willie, Raina, Edward (I'm sorry but I don't see him as part of the main cast), Rhonda, and so many others. I even found Wheelchair Wanda to be quite a fascinating character.
Is there a 7 Step Program for Anita Blake addicts that I can join?

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy read, but it could have been better., 31 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
I'm just as devoted as ever after reading this book, but I honestly have to say that this was not the best of the series. Althrough considerably steamier than previous offerings, The Killing Dance did not deliver in full on what makes the Anita Blake such a stand out in the usually formulaic vampire genre. For one thing, the book seems much more disjointed than before. The fast pace progression seemed more or less driven by the romance angle of the story between Anita and Jean Claude, and has a few holes in the overall construct because of it. Although I won't give away the ending, I will make note that the climatic conclusion needs more imagination and explanation than the author gives.
There is also a point where Hamilton flattens her usually well-rounded and interesting characters to make them conform to a sloppy ending. I'm most dissappointed in the character of Raina who doesn't have any precise logical progression from her past to her present as Hamilton chooses to essentially forget all the character developement she had done for her in previous books. A good book needs an excellent villian, and Hamilton creates the best, but this book did not have a really convincing villian due to the fact that everything other than the sex and passion existed only as a secondary character or a stage upon which the romantic angle of the story could be played.

Anita Blake is a blend of fantasy, romance, adventure, action, and horror that really hits every genre smack in the nose, but this novel dwells too much on one element and forgets to pay notice to all the action packed extras that make these books some of the best reads ever. Of the books, I most compare this one to straight forward Gothic Romance.

It's still worth picking up, in my opinion, especially if you have a night free, a glass of red wine, and lot of unreleased aggression, but I'm eager for the next book if only to see Hamilton rectify all the loose ends and unsupported explanations in this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book but very confusing, 26 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
In this book anita finally makes her choice between the men in her life, fornatly it is Jean-Claude, and unfortunatly for Richard. But to start from the begining of the book I must disagree with some of the readers of this book who think that Mrs. Hamilton has lost her edge, and made Anita go soft. I think it is good that she is showing a more personal side to Anita, it makes you see her as not just this cold blooded psycho killer...but more a survier. I like the part were she stays with richard for a few days almost has sex with him but is interupted. But then is with J.C and finishes what she started with the other. I want to say one thing about the book that disturbs me...one is what is a Trumivarate or what ever what is need to make one work...how was she bound to it at first with out any marks. Also she need to go into detail more on how one get to be an alpha were-what ever. I mean just because you beat people, or animals, up and prove yourself a great fighter how does that give you more control, and greater aura. She need to explain more of what a necromancer is in six books I still don't have a clue as to what is so special about being one. She gives a little incite in this book when anita raises the Vampires..but she fell to explain what it is, or what is so special about it.But I do think that we have not seen the last of Richard, even though he doesn't want any thing to do with her. He is still bound to her..and I have a feeling she is going to have to call on him for help since she and he are the main part of the power with J.C only acting as a link in between. I also won't rule her and Richard out ether, because even though she loves J.C, she is in love with Richard. It is kinda like if you have a spouse, but somehow have an extramartial affair, with some one you might love to a degree, get caught and the spouse leaves you, and even though you care for the extra person you are truly in love with the spouse, and if the chance arouse you would take it to get back with them, i! f they will have you. So I think that Richard is going to do somehthing stupid that she is going to use against him to break down he barrier of loathing against her for sleeping with J.C that will allow her to get back with him. Mainly because I can't see her wanting to live for eternity as a human servant, but to have her shot at this world grow old and die, most likely with someone who will grow old with her. But all in all this book is very good it leaves a lot of room for subplots and lovelines to develop.

The Killing Dance (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 6)
The Killing Dance (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 6) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Paperback - 7 Jan. 2010)