‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Anita Blake and the Circus of the Damned, 6 Dec 2009
This review is from: Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 3) (Paperback)
Anita Blake is an Animator, an animator is not someone who draws cartoons but rather a person who has the innate ability to raise the dead. Anita and those she works with raise zombies to settle will disputes, have abused people resolve their feelings and other things -- all for a reasonable fee. On the side of this most prolific of professions Anita is a vampire hunter -- she's nicknamed 'the Executioner' by the vampires and (obviously) isn't too keen on them. 'Circus of the Damned' was an excellent read, and I found it to be the best book so far in the series... I would actually say it's perhaps the second best novel after 'Obsidian Butterfly'.

We rejoin Anita as she's once again back on a murder case. There is a new master vampire in town and he's trying to challenge the master of the city -- Anita is the only human who knows who he is, and also happens to be his (in denial) human servant. So she's basically walking around with a whopping great bulls-eye on her forehead; making her a target for this new master vampire. To add to her problems Edward is back in town and demanding that Anita give up the name of the master of St Louis ie Jean-Claude -- Edward, having orders to kill him. Can Anita give Jean-Claude up to Edward? It would leave her free of her human servant marks if she did. Choices choices.

The plot was very well paced and I never felt like the story lagged at all. Edward is brilliant and I enjoyed seeing more of him. Anita has said in the past that she thought Edward would kill her if he ever had to -- but here he seemed quite reluctant to harm her. I look forward to learning more about him future books. I also really love the 'Spook Squad' characters. Dolph and Zerbrowski particularly are really fun; Dolph and Anita at a crime scene are usually some of my favourite scenes in the books.

Circus of the Damned was the same mixture of dark humour, hard boiled detective work and character development as those prior. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars With each book I feel the series is growing from strength to strength., 22 July 2011
Circus of the Damned is the third instalment in Laurell K. Hamilton's acclaimed Anita Blake series. Before picking up this instalment, I recommend reading the prior two books in the series to allow the plot to run in a coherent manner. This will save from confusion in relation to the background of the plot and characters.

In this instalment protagonist Anita Blake, whose profession is as a animator and vampire executioner, is caught in the middle and left to deal with the consequences when a rogue vampire is on the loose and is killing citizens of St. Louis in an attempt to challenge the Master of the City, Jean-Claude.

With each book I feel the series is growing from strength to strength. Anita Blake is a strong female protagonist whose sense of humour and dedication to her work and morals makes her viewpoint interesting and exciting to read from. As usual, the book has a lot of suspense throughout mixed with plenty of action. As a result, the plot is fast-paced which made me reluctant to put it down.

I remain compelled with Anita's relationship with Jean-Claude, however it was great to see that Hamilton upped her game by introducing a potential love interest for Anita. Richard Zeeman is a handsome junior high-school teacher who, alike Anita, is mixed up with the monsters. The circumstances in which they meet hints that there is more to come. Could this cause some friction between Anita, Jean-Claude and Richard?

I found this instalment the best of the series so far. It gave me the confidence to purchase more books in the series and I now have them on order up until the eleventh. It was such a compelling page turner and as a result I'm finding this series hard to resist!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Anita Blake Vampire Hunter" series book 3, 5 Feb 2011
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Anita Blake is back for a third time in this very dark, violent urban fantasy series and she's doing what she does best; hunting down rogue vampires. Unwillingly marked twice by master vampire Jean-Claude, in this book Anita becomes somewhat of a pawn in a supernatural power struggle. A new master vampire is in town and wants to mark Anita as his own servant, yet another wants to take out Jean-Claude and rule the city, Edward is back and wanting information only Anita can provide and the anti Undead groups are on the rampage. Unfortunately Anita with her ability to raise the dead is considered to be an enemy.

Again there is plenty of explosive and gory action. Huge volumes of blood are splattered when Anita and a variety of mortals, vampires, werewolves and a new breed of supernatural creature wage war with each other and there are countless brutal scenes in which Anita struggles for survival. She may be outmatched in strength, but Anita definitely has balls made of steel because this young woman would rather end up dead than become a servant bound to a vampire.

The dynamics between Anita and Jean-Claude change in this book, and throw in a new man interested in Anita plus another master vampire, and things become very interesting. There are some softer moments in the story line; however they are few and far between whilst the frenzied and dramatic ending is almost jaw dropping. My only gripe with this book is the author's fixation on Anita's footwear. It almost comes across as an advertising campaign for a certain trainer with a swoosh.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars, 30 Jun 2010
A LOT of people like the Anita Blake series (you know, I always think "Anita Baker" whenever I think of her name, which is an unfortunate image you wanna have while reading this series -- like she's gonna bust out with "Sweet Love" while talking to Jean-Claude). That's another one...Jean-Claude. Can't name a guy that and not think about JCVD. I HAVE to constantly push out these pre-existing names and images out of my brain whenever I enter this world or else I screw myself over with visions of grammy-winning R&B singers and the Muscles from Brussels duking it out. I'm sure Ms. Hamilton wouldn't want that.

Anyway, with that said, I really enjoyed this book. I liked the previous two enough (enough to keep reading the series) but this is the book that has hooked me in. I am beginning to appreciate Anita's character; her way of thinking and talking. The woman has the guilty conscious of two Catholic mothers but I suppose it's what gives her a bit of the humanity she needs to survive (as well as keep her in trouble). In this book, her relationship with JCVD...I mean Jean-Claude...is pushed to the brink and she makes a decision about him that's hard to take, though still believable. I mean she DID warn him. There's a lot of new characters thrown into the mix, some survive, some don't, and the ending is a little bit trite but overall, it got me. I finished the book in one sitting. Will be going to Book Off to try and find the rest of the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Circus of the Damned, 8 Jun 2010
AngelGoneMad "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE PREVIOUS BOOK AS IT MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR YOU

Circus of the Damned is the third instalment in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. This book focuses more on the vampires and shape shifters than the animator side of things. We are introduced to a new creature and personally I am thankful I wasn't Anita. Coming face to face with this creature, I don't think my skin would stop crawling.

Well I was much happier with this book than the last one in the series, The Laughing Corpse. Anita is in amongst all the action once again and she uncovers a few new things about a certain master vampire and her report friend, Irving Griswold.

There was so much going on in this book that I don't want to say too much as I don't want to spoil it for you out there that have not read the book/series yet. What I will say is that loved the twist in the story about the villains and Edward is back.

I think Edward is a rather interesting character. He is a dark and dangerous human being that shows no emotion when he is killing and isn't close to anyone, except Anita. Now why is that? I think it's because they are sort of in the same line of business, killing vampires and he has respect for her. They both have their own rules that they live by and they don't break them for anything. This is real honour and a really good characteristic to have. You know you can always count on them to what they always do as they are sticking to their rules. Anita is sometimes confused as to where she stands with Edward as she doesn't want to call him a friend as she knows he would kill her if he had to but at the same time what else do you call someone else that you trust with your life in violent situations? There's no real attraction between the two so I don't think anything romantic will happen in the series. To me they are friends, but I suppose we will just all have to wait and find out what exactly they are to one another later on in the series. I think they are friends and that's it.

Now as for Jean Claude, what do I think of him? I think he is a very mysterious old man. He wants Anita, but I don't think it's because she is the Executioner although I think that adds to the allure of her. I think he sees someone he could spend the rest of eternity with but he is not above trying to coerce her into being his servant as we see in this book but at the same time he wants her to come to him willingly. But as we have seen previously Anita is totally against being his human servant and keeps threatening his life. They are both attracted to one another so I think something might happen in a later book but I can't be sure as I am not entirely sure that Anita can get over the fact the he is indeed a dead man and a monster. But only time will tell I suppose.

And last but not least, Anita's new love interest. Richard. From his description he is really hot and well built. He works for Jean Claude, who has warned him away from Anita, but this doesn't stop him asking her out on a date. That's all I will say on that matter otherwise I will spoil the story for you.

Overall, I was enjoyed this book thoroughly. The twists and turns in the plot were superb and I loved the new creature that we were introduced to in this book. I hope we keep meeting more mythical creatures in this series.

Disclaimer: I did not purchase this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love this series!!!!, 31 Dec 2013
This series is a must read! So many books and it hasn't gotten dull yet! Each book so far has been interesting and exciting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 25 Nov 2013
Third in the series and I am hooked. Interesting characters, funny, sad, witty and good stories to go with the fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good series, 9 Nov 2013
Heather Cook (England) - See all my reviews
This book is number 3 of a good series. The covers of these series are pretty and I am a big fan of how she writes these books. The main character is sarcastic but you know she cares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Aug 2013
I read the first novel and was hooked , i will be buying more , a good story about vampires but done in a whole new way , worth a go i say !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent next chapter in the Anita Blake series!, 21 July 2013
A great read from beginning to end, very descriptive which is great. I couldn't put it down! The Anita Blake series is just what was I was looking for!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 3)
Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 3) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Paperback - 10 Dec 2009)
5.59