5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, fab and fascinating
Published on 2 Oct 2009 by Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me feeling hungry...
Published on 14 Dec 2009 by S. M. E. Raywood-Priestly

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me feeling hungry..., 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Ok folks, this book is good, it's fine, it's an enjoyable read and it made me laugh out loud in places (not that I bought it hoping for or expecting that, but it was a bonus). BUT - it left me feeling as though I'd had the first course of a meal and then been ushered out of the restaurant before I'd even sniffed the entree, never mind looked hopefully towards the dessert trolley. I wanted MORE! I just can't shake the feeling that she didn't really want to write this book, because it is so superficial. I believe she is a private person, and fair enough for that - but as this is an autobiography I had hoped for a deeper insight into the mind of a very talented woman. It seemed to me that all the defenses were still up and there was little really shared. A shame, and ultimately unsatisfying...Jo, you're so much more succulent than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, fab and fascinating, 2 Oct 2009
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of Jo Brand and couldn't wait to read this. Having bought it yesterday I have to say that I wasn't disappointed - it is totally brilliant. I didn't know much about Jo's upbringing and her personal life before I read this, but it's all here and I can't believe what an interesting life she's led. From her teenage rebellion, to her first love who led her astray, to her 10 years as a psychiatric nurse to the abuse she got when she started out as a stand up comic - there is nothing this woman hasn't been through! What I loved in particular is the way that she can talk about all this personal stuff in detail without ever sounding like she's feeling sorry for herself or losing her comic touch - parts of book made me double up with laughter. Anyone who likes Jo Brand should buy this - it's a fantastic insight into a brilliant comic.

5.0 out of 5 stars very tasty indeed!, 2 Oct 2009
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
There are so many celebrity autobiographies around these days I was wary of buying one, but I really like Jo Brand so I thought I'd take a punt on this. Well, I bought it yesterday and I've already finished it cos I couldn't put it down. This makes such a refreshing change from a lot of the other celeb books out there. Why? Well, for the first thing she wrote it herself - it wasn't ghost written - and that really comes across. The book is warm, funny, sad, shocking and uplifting - like spending a few hours chatting in the pub with someone who's really interesting and funny. I won't spoil it, but there's a bit where she's playing hide-and-seek with some co-workers that made me laugh so loudly I nearly cried. I am so pleased that Jo Brand has written such a good autobiography. I loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 27 Jan 2010
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I requested this for Christmas, I quite like to listen to Jo Brand on TV quiz shows and she can be very funny but I was disappointed with the book. It started off ok but I became bored with it. There were moments in between the boredom that were funny and interesting when she made a comment about how she feels about certain aspects of the NHS or about men or whatever but these are few and far between. Most of the book seems to be about how she got drunk in different places. I read it through to the end hoping it would get better but it didn't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 12 Jan 2010
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Put up your hands those who did not get drunk and become a bit of a tearaway in your teens. Most of us did - it's what your teens are for. Unfortunately Jo Brand seems to think she is the only person who did this, else why would she have taken up so much of her biography telling us about them. To top that she then does what is becoming a rather annoying trend in celeb biography - she finishes it just before her career takes off (which is the bit most of us want to read about!), leaving us waiting for the second instalment of her memoirs. That's a book I'll not be buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame shame shame, 25 April 2010
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Its a shame this book was published in its present state - it shouold have been handed back to Jo with three quarters of the boring, uninsightful and tedious parts removed, and she should have been encouraged to write about how things affected her.

All we seemed to get were boring lists of "events" and people with no insight into their importance or effect. She left home at 17, but it was just mentioned rather than any thought given to it, then she went back home, then moved out again. All momentous things, but she is obviously too private to let us in to how she really felt about it. Fair enough - be private, but then don't write an autobiography!!! - Money a bit short is it????
Psychiatric care does not come out too well, and as others have written, attitudes are quite rigid and harsh. Made me squirm in parts.
There was so little interpretation, thought,or insight. Also, her weight was hardly mentioned, occasionally she would say she wasn't too heavy at the time, but I have no idea when she became heavy, how she felt about it, even whether or not she ever went on a diet, which is extraordinary. If she had said that she was fat, didn't mind, didn't care, get over it, that would have been fine. But I felt that this was as much as she could give - a paltry list of events, a boring childhood, a bit of a stormy adolescence, various "seshes". The editors or whoever makes decisions, should have said if thats all there is, scrap it, its not worth the paper.
Felt I had been sold a pup to be honest.
Shame on everyone involved, and I say that with a heavy heart, cos I do generally like Jo Brand - now, not so much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as I expected, 14 April 2010
C. Bartlett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I like Jo Brand and I was interested in knowing about her life and what makes her tick. The book does detail the highs and lows of her life, the emotional trauma of her younger years and is in many ways quite forthright. And here is the but, I didn't feel the emotion of the events was conveyed to the reader. For this reason the book seemed a bit flat. Later years and events were not detailed and after I had read it obviously I knew more about Jo Brand, but not as much as i expected. I expected her to be gutsy, in your face and a very difficult teenager but I didn't feel the book got me under her skin. I leant nothing which spooked or surprised me and I suppose I felt a bit short changed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brand loyalty, 10 Mar 2010
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Jo Brand's a bit of a national institution/treasure these days but I've been a fan of hers since her 'Through the Cakehole' series which dates back to the early 1990s, hence why I thought I'd give her autobiography a whirl. Jo certainly writes well: her prose filters through the page and you can hear her 'voice' whilst reading, however despite this I did find the chapters detailing her childhood rather too long winded and more than a little bit boring. She also chronicles her 'difficult' teenage years which seemed to consist of dressing strangely, getting drunk and doing various 'crazy' things. The chapters which cover her nursing training and career path are infinitely more interesting, as are her sensible and down to earth views about the state of mental health provison in the country.

It seemed rather odd to end this book with her flegeling comedy career hardly getting off the ground! I can understand why celebrities do this but it's a bit annoying all the same. Also, couldn't she have included a little more about her relationship with the late, great Malcolm Hardee whom she bizarrely calls 'Graham'? Juxtaposed with Arthur Smith's excellent memoir this book doesn't really compare, which is a bit of shame really.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stigma, 25 Feb 2010
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I was a great fan of Jo Brand until I read this book. She seems to stigmatize the mentally ill by saying they either assault her or shout abuse at her. This generally is not my experience and on the whole I have found the mentally ill to be quite vulnerable people. Half their problems are caused because of stigma and isolation from society even when they live in the community and this book does not help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Oct 2009
This review is from: Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I bought this to read for my holiday next week and my only disappointment is that it's so good I've already finished it - but that's okay because I'm going to read it again. And again. Fantastic.

Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography
Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography by Jo Brand (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01