on 22 April 2015
Great product, price and service. Thanks!
on 22 February 2015
hardcover right, size right, as discribed
on 7 November 2014
brilliant writer - yet another great tale
on 31 January 2016
This series just gets better and better!
on 30 December 2014
Love the series, well writen. Great read
on 10 January 2015
A great read , I am a big fan Great !!!
on 22 May 2014
An interesting take on Roman war, friendship and politics. Personal and management tensions are explored and the struggle continues. Internal rivalries within the Roman army are brutally explored.
on 21 November 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I own all the previous eleven books in the 'Eagle' series, and it really is the place to go if you like your Roman historical fiction dirty with a bit of grit and a few choice swear words. Its very impressive to me that Scarrow has kept the two main characters Macro and Cato the same at their core yet with subtle differences and development from when they first met, he really illustrates how much one has effected the other in some way over the years together, which is especially important as Cato jumped beyond Macro in rank a couple of books ago. This is the reason why the duo are still probably my favourite characters in historical fiction, can't see them being beat.

Onto 'The Blood Crows' then, its more of the same from Scarrow; battles, grit, action with the usual wry humour from the two. Starting with 'Centurion' (the eighth in the series) the author has dropped the word 'Eagle' from the titles to make the series more accessible to people who haven't necessarily read the previous books and it is clear you can pick 'Centurion' up without any prior knowledge and still get a very enjoyable read, but obviously if you want the full experience go back to the beginning.
Its good to see the two soldiers back in Britannia with the surprisingly funny addition of Macro's mother, I won't go into the plot itself as you can read much better synopses from the publishers (and a few reviewers here no doubt). But I will say that its as engrossing a story as ever, with the action mixed with the usual cut throat politics.

If you like no holds barred historical fiction get this, whether a new reader or old you won't look back.
VINE VOICEon 20 November 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
THE BLOOD CROWS by Simon Scarrow. This is the first of SS's books I have read. Perhaps I left him alone for too long before giving him a chance mainly because Rome was not on my radar. As a result I was not sure what to expect but due to the popularity of his books I had a feeling I would not be disappointed - and I was not. This is also the twelfth is a series (so far) and perhaps not the best place to start however it has acted as a great incentive to now go back and start the adventure at the beginning. Having said that this book could be read as a "stand-alone" since the author takes the time and care to introduce the players and the circumstances at the start so I did not feel deprived by having missed his earlier works.

To those who have made the journey with our heroes I can imagine this is something you have looked forward to and will perhaps enjoy it even more.

I make it a point of trying not to reveal the plot in a novel as I have no wish to spoil the read for anyone coming after so let's just say this book is set in the first century AD with the Roman Legion trying to drag Britain and it's inhabitants (kicking and screaming) into their new world order. The location is what would be Wales and the locals do not want any part of the new world preferring to left alone in the rain and mud to kill each other so as with the other parts of Britain they were not alone. Leading the fight are the two heroes from Rome Cato and Marco who have been developed in earlier books. The research appears to be extensive although I do not know enough about Rome to be adamant. A gripping storyline that many will find totally absorbing once the introductions are completed as Rome, the superpower of the time finds that invasion like today is not a quick job.

It works well and has certainly given me an interest to go back and experience the journey through the earlier books. I am happy to recommend it (at this stage as a stand alone book) but I feel sure there are many that have been with Cato and Marco a long time will have looked forward to this publication and that is the true test of an exciting series.
on 26 July 2014
Fine story. Well written and full of historical content. Exciting battle scenes. Felt on this occasion the relationship between Cato and Macro is compromised due the Cato's elevation to prefect.