5.0 out of 5 stars I'm with Cato and Macro
Published on 15 Nov 2010 by J. Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Weakest in the series
For me Legion is the weakest in the Eagle series, which I find interesting considering the amount of 5 star ratings it appears to have got! Maybe I missed something!

Published 11 months ago by OiYouThere

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm with Cato and Macro, 15 Nov 2010
J. Cooper (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Legion (Hardcover)
Thank goodness for books like this; `The Legion' is an example of some of the very best modern historical fiction available today. With this being the tenth instalment in the series, I was slightly worried that the book would not live up to the high standard set by its superb predecessors. My worries were soon put at ease however, as I began the book and delved into the world of Cato and Macro.

Sent to Egypt in an attempt to locate and capture the notorious rebellious slave Ajax, the intrepid duo are soon involved in the defence of the province from marauding Nubians. Cato and Macro are thrust into the heart of supreme power where every decision could have massive ramifications for the province, the Empire and the Emperor!

This book is in my opinion one of the finest in the series. The characters are by now fully rounded, likeable or detestable (depending on your allegiance!), but ultimately fully dimensional. The descriptions of the terrain and battle formations are well constructed allowing the reader to fully envisage the scene and almost take their place in the ranks. Scarrow has honed his writing technique throughout the series and has created a book which for the historical fiction fan; will be an absolute pleasure to read.

Some lengthy series sell well because the reader feels an obligation to continue reading in case of `missing out' or perhaps out of long established habit. I'm certain that Scarrow's books sell because they stand out in a very crowded and popular genre. I always look forward to reading his latest Roman novel because I can't wait to discover what has happened to some of my most favourite fictional characters. Cato and Macro are like father and son, they are likeable, interesting and captivate the reader from beginning to end.

Finally, I know that I should have supported the underdog Ajax in his quest against the monolithic Roman Empire, but I just couldn't bring myself to pledge my support to his ambitious rebellion.

I'm with Cato and Macro I'm afraid!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read from one of the masters of the genre., 11 Nov 2010
S Riches "Stuartr" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Legion (Hardcover)
The Legion is the 10th book in Simon Scarrow's series featuring Macro and Cato. The Legion finds our heros in Egypt continuing to hunt Ajax the gladiator who lead the slave uprising on Crete that formed the main storyline of the previous book. As ever their path is never a smooth one with events, politics, incompetence and restless natives conspiring to make their time in the Bread Basket of the Nile Delta an eventful one.

For me The Legion is an example of the best of Simon Scarrow's writing, the action starts almost immediately, picking up where the last book left off, and moves at a rapid pace across the entire book. The politics and intrigue of Ancient Rome are never far away, and continue to shape the storyline and the situation of Macro and Cato.

The changing balance in the relationship between the stalwart Macro and the younger but brighter Cato helps keep the relationship, and hence the book, fresh. With Cato now superior in rank to the vastly more experienced Macro there is a new tension, balanced by their mutual respect and this prevents the relationship falling into the hero and sidekick role that would have been the easy option.

The Gladiator, of the title role of the previous book, Ajax continues to be a thorn in the side of Macro and Cato, and outwits them on a number of occasions. It is these events that help shape and drive our heros' hatred of the gladiator, and their regrets, desire for revenge and mistakes they make in chasing him bring a real human quality to the book.

Personally I loved this book, it is one of the standout books in the series and is one of those books that makes you want to read a few more pages whenever you start to think about putting it down. Highly recommended for fans of Simon, the Historical Fiction Genre and lovers of a cracking good yarn. If you haven't come across Simon yet, I would suggest reading the Gladiator before this one, although its not essential, it will add depth to the storyline and explain the hatred that drives both sides in The Legion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leader of the pack, 11 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Legion (Hardcover)
The Legion: A great milestone in the current series, it being the 10th of an excellent highly addictive and action packed series.
This book continues on from where Gladiator left off, with our heroes tasked with tracking down the ruthless ex-Slave and Ex-Gladiator Ajax. Fresh from his exploits in Crete, having failed to conquer the island, he has escaped to forment rebellion along the Nile.

I have been reading Simons books pretty much since day 1 of publication, and have loved almost every book, I have to admit to being frustrated with the last book Gladiator whilst still enjoying the great writing and characterisation that Simon brings to every story he writes there was something that didn't work for me.
I was however overjoyed to read The Legion and find that all that frustration had gone, that the Heroes Macro and Cato are back on song and the plot raced along at such a pace I had to slow down my reading so I didn't miss anything.

For me this was a return to old, this book was right up there on a par with one of the series best Eagles Prophecy, the comparison easy coming to mind as it links the Roman Naval writing by Simon and Ajax's past. Simon does seem to have a knack for writing all types of bloody battles but the Naval ones being particularly good, with a high degree of realism, pace and action, whilst remembering that people get tired, frustrated , complacent etc..
What we don't want are super heroes we want fallible complicated men, and we get that in spades.

This book also has the added elements of our 2 heroes coming to grips with a change in the dynamic of their relationship, Cato now having progressed through the ranks beyond his mentor, but also Cato struggling with that new rank at times and the responsibility it confers. A true achievement of the book, to have the back drop of these personal turmoil's whilst not taking away the action and the pace and the drama.

This book for me is a real triumph, a return to the best, and a clear sign that we can expect many more great books and exploits' for our intrepid Soldiers.
9/10...or an Amazon 5 Stars. If you like reading Historical fiction then this is a must because Simon is clearly one of the iconic writers of the genre, he sets the standard for others to follow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weakest in the series, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Legion (Paperback)

To be the book can be summed up by 2 things; bad decissions, and a poor ending. Throughout the series overall I've loved the plans characters hatch to achieve their goals. Some are over the top in their design but they're generally clever. I don't want to ruin anything but you can see immediately that some decisions are painfully stupid. The ending as well starts well, you don't know what's going to happen, then its over. It's the only book in the series I didn't close with a smile on my face.

As with Praetorian though the short comings shouldn't stop you from reading it. Clearly there are people who thoroughly enjoyed it, and Cato and Macro themselves are as brilliant as always. Just don't expect as much as previous books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent sequel., 21 Sep 2014
Calix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker
Another excellent Eagle sequel by a master story teller. In this the 10th book in the series Scarrow never misses a beat. The narrative is fast paced full of intrigue and with gratuitous violence, dealt out in good old Macro style, (my favourite Character). Highly recommended. For those who would like further information on this epoch I highly recommend the OSPREY Campaign, Warrior, and men at arms booklets, with great overviews, excellent illustrations, and highly detailed maps.

The perfect companion to the Eagle series is the ROMA VICTRIX wine beaker of which Simon is a proud owner. Below is a passage from a review he made.
BEAUTIFULLY SCULPTED IT IS A VERY HANDSOME THING! THE REASON WHY I PARTICULARLY LIKE THIS CUP IS THAT IT FEATURES THE MEN AND INSIGNIA OF THE SECOND LEGION, THE UNIT IN WHICH CATO LEARNED HOW TO BECOME A SOLDIER UNDER THE AFFECTIONATE EYE OF MACRO! IT'S A LOVELY THING AND HAS PRIDE OF PLACE ON MY DESK RIGHT NOW!Calix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRIBUTE TO ROMES LEGIONS, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Legion (Paperback)
Another excellent Eagle sequel by a master story teller. In this the 10th book in the series Scarrow never misses a beat. The narrative is fast paced full of intrigue and with gratuitous violence, dealt out in good old Macro style, (my favourite Character). Highly recommended.For those who would like further information on this epoch I highly recommend the OSPREY Campaign, Warrior, and men at arms booklets, with great overviews, excellent illustrations, and highly detailed maps.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 3 April 2012
Clive - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Legion (Paperback)
Yet another enthralling Adventure involving Centurion Macro and his one time Optio, Cato, whose superior intellect and capability for strategic planning has now seen him elevated to the more senior rank of Prefect.
Together, Cato and Macro are tasked with the unenviable mission of tracking down, recapturing and bringing to justice the rebellious gladiator, Ajax. Not only is this dangerous renegade hell-bent on destabalising the Roman empire by forging an alliance with a massive Nubian army, but has also vowed to avenge the crucifiction of his father, and his own enslavement, through the brutal death of the two Roman officers who now track him.
This is the 10th instalement in a fantastic series that keeps you gripped from the first page to the very last. If you are considering getting this book and have not yet read the previous 9 in this series, then STOP!. Purchase instead the first instalment, Under The Eagle, and enjoy many weeks of brilliant reading as you work your way through the entire series. I, for one, cannot wait for the next epic adventure of these two loyal Roman warriors.
Simon Scarrow knows his stuff! He grabs your interest quickly and never lets up. A brilliant read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read., 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Legion (Paperback)
an absolute must read if you are a fan of the macro and cato novels, couldn't put it down and read it over the course of four evenings.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever, 28 Nov 2013
Fantastic read as usual I can't seem to get enough of Macro & Cato. Highly recommended read for all those interested in history

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 23 Nov 2013
It is an amazing book. I like how it changes from them chasing Ajax to joining the legion. It really surprised me at the end i wont give it away but its a huge surprise. Altogether really great.

The Legion
The Legion by Simon Scarrow (Paperback - 21 July 2011)