Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 November 2009
As a divorce barrister, Lucy Stephens has seen her fair share of break-ups and is rather cynical about love since her ex, Jonathan, did the dirty on her. Until one night, at a party, she meets Mark and they hit it off straight away. Trouble is, Lucy is just about to get the case of her life and has to choose between the case and Mark. It also looks as though Jonathan the ex is back... What will Lucy choose: the man of her dreams or the chance to work on the case of a lifetime?

The book starts really well with Lucy imagining a dream-scene in which she's being interviewed for Marie Claire and I was immediately drawn into the book. In only takes a few chapters for Mark to be introduced into the book and I loved how quickly Lucy and Mark's romance began. It was like a whirlwind of a romance and I was surprised to see Mark introduced so quickly. Of course, the early introduction of Mark lent itself to a lot of troubles to arise and arise they did; particularly when Lucy is given the chance to work on the case of a lifetime: a high-profile divorce. There were some very clever plot-twists throughout the book and I truly didn't know how it was going to end.

There's a lot of law-type-stuff throughout the book but I found it all easy to follow and quite enjoyable to read about. Spencer must have really done her research on the subject as it really is the focal point to the book. The plot was very unique, using law as a backdrop and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the scenes when the characters were all talking law. There was also a sub-plot running throughout the book in which someone within the law firm where Hez works and the barristers where Lucy works is leaking confidential documents to the press about the high profile divorce case. I thought I had one of the characters pegged for the leaks but I was proved wrong, as is usually the case.

Tug of Love is a very enjoyable read and Allie Spencer is a very talented writer. The book was very absorbing and I found it very difficult to put down. My only fault with the book was the fact the main character was called Lucy. There are so many Lucy's in chick lit books it's unreal and they all seem to be morphing together to form one big massive Lucy! Bar that, though, it's an outstanding read and Spencer is a fab writer. I can't wait for her next book!
on 3 October 2009
A romance starring a divorce lawyer was too intriguing to pass up and what's wonderful is that the writing is just as excellent as the hook. I could not put it down and laughed out loud several times...on the train! This is absolutely the best book of its genre I've ever read, no question. It's funny, clever, sexy, and true.
on 3 November 2009
It's not often that one is gripped by the very first page of a book and remains so right to the end. There's usually a dull, saggy bit somewhere in the middle. But not this one! It's fabulous. A delightful main character in Lucy, but her friends and colleagues are just as well drawn. Convincing love-scenes, with men to die for. An unusual and interesting setting. Hilariously funny. Twists and turns and constant surprises, until one finally puts it down with a satisfied 'Ah'. What more could one ask for in a romantic novel? I can't recommend it too highly.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 October 2009
This book has it all, wonderful characters, lol moments and a twisting turning plot that kept me reading when I should have been doing other things. Oh and a very satisfying ending where everyone gets what they deserve. Highly recommended!
on 15 October 2009
This book should come with some kind of warning because I couldn't put it down!! Spent a weekend curled up in a chair whenever I had the opportunity giggling away at the quips and brilliantly funny observations. Loved reading it and I highly recommend it to anyone who needs a laugh.
on 9 October 2009
This book is very funny and I did not want to put it down. Great twists in the story that were not expected. Loved the "2 years later" bit that answers all those "what happened next?" questions.