4.0 out of 5 stars The old Anita
I was not looking forward to reading Hit List becasue of all the bad reviews and put it off for a very long time, but i can safely say i am no long reading reviews because i felt this was a very good book.
One of the issue i have with this series is how it has gone from crime solving to no stop sex, but this book finds a nice balance and we see a bit of the old...
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Sherb

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money.
This book is not worth the money. The font size is huge compared to Bullet, in all honesty this is a novella with ambitions not a proper novel. If you must read it check it out from your local library or wait for the paperback because it is a rip off at hardback price.

This basically reads like Obsidian Butterfly part deux only without the pacing, plot or...
Published on 8 Jun 2011 by theroyalbrat

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit List, 9 July 2011
D. A. Compton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hit List (Hardcover)
As a fan of the Anita Blake stories I was looking forward to this book. However, I felt there was something missing as when Anita is working with Ted (Edward) and the gang he talks about Jean Claude trying to get elected like the European council and securing his power base. Have I missed a book inbetween Bullet and Hit List? Still a good read, but the story seemed slightly weaker than some of her usual work, but if like me you have the series then you need this one. The book also ended quickly, one minute the good guys! are being drugged by the baddies, the next the baddies are helping Anita, then the cavalry arrives and Olaf has a positive blood test and rides off in to the night with a victim of his own.
Hope the next book fills in the gap of what happened between Mommie Dearest, still out there after being blown up and scaring everybody, to finally getting her gone for good before this story and what is Jean Claude, Richard, Micah, Natanial and the rest doing?

2.0 out of 5 stars Bye ..... Spoiler, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Hit List (Kindle Edition)
Mother of all proved to be no match for Anita. A battle I had waited for as the battle of all battles was really a major disappointment - Like that 100 fire work that rises majestically into the sky only to go bang, whoop and wee! This was a book that had a good start then descended into a rushed finish.. Felt like LJK wanted rid of the mother of all .... As a character that had become tiresome.

I could live with this if I thought Anita's next enemy would be a monster, but i fear it will be yet another lover. Sex is now her weapon of choice and after defending the arduer as an appropriate way of moving the story along I am finally giving up the ghost. I am saying goodbye to JC, Richard and Asher ....I have to admit that Anita is now as tiresome and predictable to me, as those that mocked LKH since at least ID was released stating her writing had declined,.

Goodbye LKH. I loved your books but there are so many great young writers out there ... you will soon be replaced. ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Point To Make, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Hit List (Kindle Edition)
I have to Say i agree with what people are saying hear there are some dissapointments in the book but it is not as much of a let that this down as some are saying. You have to take into consideration that it is hard being a writer and I am amazed at her dedication to keep this series going. However I think many people are very hypocritical when it comes to these books they say they don't want it sex saturated but yet there are complaints when the spice is gone.

Make up your minds do you want the sex or not!!!!!! Personally I think there is nothing wrong with it, in fact the bedroom sets a social dynamic in the group it truelly determins the true alpha's the switches and the submissive. Though it is raunchy i think we see another side to the usually stern or the atypical submissive without an unnecersary confusion.

Furthermore I think book lets us view Anita again and not drench her in testosterone (other than the cops) and see what we have missed from another socially dynamic area. Yes she adds a new lover but hey we can't act like it was wrong or unethical to the plot it made sense and we should respect that.

All in all i think it is a good book and it made me look forward to the next one and damn the marme noir situation is damn interesting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plotless Nonsense, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Hit List (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 20) (Paperback)
Having spent over six years with the 20-book strong series of the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series, it makes me incredibly sad to say that the latest book has finally pushed me to my limit. It is widely thought that the Anita Blake books made a serious nose-dive from crime-romance-thriller into monotonous-metaphysical-erotica around ten books ago but more recent attempts have been made to re-establish Anita Blake as the strong, sassy and independent female protagonist she once was. By moving away from her ever-growing assortment of lovers and her dependency on sexual gratification through the mystical ardeur, Anita is able to focus on solving crimes, battling enemies and struggling to find an ongoing work-life-love balance. Unfortunately, while recent books such as Skin Trade and Bullet have shown significant progress in recapturing the brilliance of the original series, the most recent installment, Hitlist, has neither the mystery or sexuality of its predecessors. Instead, the book falls completely flat.

Perhaps in response to the majority of her readers who felt the sex in the series had become excessive, Hamilton's recent contributions have been more focused on Anita's police work, her past and character building, rather than orgy-induced idle chit-chat. Hitlist ostensibly focuses on the relationship between Anita and Edward, the growing threat of serial-killer Olaf and the killing spree of the unstoppable Harlequin. As a blurb, it reads quite well. Suffice to say that none of the offered excitement ever materialises. While the dynamic between Anita and Edward remains fascinating, Anita's confrontations with Olaf have become repetitive and boring, with serious amounts of time dedicated to describing how he looks at her "funny". But worst than this is that the dramatic potential of The Harlequin plot line is never realised. For the most deadly of all vampires and the most unbeatable force there is, they sure do manage to stop them quickly. A quick kidnapping, a quick betrayal by the enemy's servants for Anita yet again, and there you have it. Happily ever after.

My parting words are this: if you must continue to write, then at least write about something. Juicy crime thriller, great. Metaphysical erotica, fine. But no more of this 400 page plotless nonsense, I beg of you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Anita Blake but still entertaining, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: Hit List (Hardcover)
One of the Anita Blake books which is not based in St Louis. This means that a lot of the cast aren't in the book and she is supported by Edward, Olaf and Bernando. Unfortunately, I don't like these 'out of town' books so much as I miss Jean Claude, Richard, Micah and co. That said, Laurell tries to go back to her origins and deliver a more crime investigation type novel. Having come back to this book, I've concluded that the ending is probably one of the worst Laurell's written. It is extremely rushed and after all the build up in previous books about the Mother of Darkness a real let down.

What I liked was

Much less moaning about her issues - Anita is finally growing up
A more developed relationship with Edward
Very creepy Olaf
More control of her ardeur (there is only one sex scene in the novel)

What I disliked

The ending was extremely rushed and I personally didn't find it very convincing (especially given what has happened in previous books).

In the end, I enjoyed it but it certainly isn't memorable. My test is that I did re-read it and not just file it in my bookcase. That said, I would have to say that it is not one of her best (indeed one of her worst)

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LAURELL, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Hit List (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 20) (Paperback)
I admit that some of the earlier books read like erotic Big Brother, but it seem as if Laurell has really taken on some of the previous book reviews and has brought Anita back from the bedroom. I don't know what the writing formats like for the hardback, but for the paper back it like the old books.
Though the other reviews put me off buying the book (for a while) I bought the book eventually and I was really stunned.
its funny, fast paced and OUT STANDING. im glad I bought it.
The sex scenes have calmed down a bit, but to be honest I don't mind a lot of sex if the story does go somewhere. I would whole-heartedly recommend you buy this book if you love Anita. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Edward and Olaf are always entertaining, 22 Mar 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hit List (Kindle Edition)
Seems as if Hamilton has taken on board some of the complaints and taken the naughty scenes down a notch and tried to return to the Anita the fans love. The book has Anita showing us her reflective side, more aware of why she does what she does side. I loved the fact that Edward and Olaf feature heavily in this book, because I think Skin Trade is one of her best Blake books due to the Ed and Olaf storyline. It is an enjoyable read, but wish Hamilton would take Anita right back to her original concept with a lot of story and less complications.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre and Anti Climactic..., 23 Feb 2012
Tali (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hit List (Kindle Edition)
Not the worst book in the series, but certainly far from the best. Given a real choice 2.5 stars would have been my real rating, but i've rounded up rather than down because, despite it being weaker than many of the previous novels, its still readable and enjoyable enough.

First of all, its a little shorter than most of the other novels in the series (excluding Micah and Flirt which, despite what they are marketed as, are both novella). The story starts out of state and with Edward as company, not a bad thing as most of the books with Edward end up enjoyable if not brilliant, but this might be the exception. The story isn't amazing... it felt a little disorganised to me and had so much potential which just wasn't met. The ending was also very anti climactic... in fact given that it was sort of the showdown between Marmee Noir and Anita it was downright tame.

I expected more from this book, and I know you should never go into a book with too many expectations. All the same, I did expect it to be a little more interesting that it turned out to be, but thats simply based on some of the previous novels. What i just don't understand with this author is their ability to one minute turn out a masterpiece and the next turn out a flop. Its so incongruous... I wonder if its fair to blame the author or if its the editors piling on pressure that is to blame?

Anyway, if you've followed the series thus far I do suggest reading it. It's still got some good moments and if given a chance to return the novel I probably wouldn't. I'm not likely to revisit it soon, but I imagine I will in the future at some point.

Overall rating 3/5 - an average novel in the series, nothing special but not terrible either. Certainly not the worst book from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than anticipated, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hit List (Hardcover)
Many of the earlier reviews have been less than stellar and so it took me a while to decide to buy this one - but I'm a completist! Honestly I found it a relief to read a story rather than a series of sex acts with a storyline fitting round the edges. A reversion to her original AB books in many ways. Yes, I missed the various St Louis characters. Yes, the 'win' was a bit sudden, but at least Anita didn't acquire another power / talent / whatever (just another man!!). And, yes, LH does tend to reuse descriptions and phrases not just from one book but within the same book. The thing that most irritated me though was the poor editing as regards the new tiger's number of colours / forms - he's got four, but at regular points this became three (even within the same paragraph).

3.0 out of 5 stars hit list, Anita blake series., 28 July 2011
This review is from: Hit List (Hardcover)
i read this book within two day. The read was good. I can't complain about the story line. Laurell k, Hamilton put me in the moment and i saw everything going on. I couldn't put it down. Like usual Anita Blake didn't let me down either. I hung onto every word. With edward hanging by her side i was hoping for them to do aomething out of the ordinary. i loved the men by her side and the tension between certain people. But the end ruined it a little for me, after the real trouble showed its ugly head. I thought the last chapter was rushed. It was like, they came, they went, they concured, the end. I would have thought she would have put a little more detail about her return home. Through the book she tells the reader how she missed home so much. More detail on the last chapter would have put the icing on the cake. I put the book down thinking, 'well that's over and done with,' where with all her others i was left thinking about what went on through the story for days and in desperate need to get hold of the next one. it was a good read, but sorry, i thought the end was too quickly put on paper.

Hit List (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 20)
Hit List (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 20) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Paperback - 10 Nov 2011)
6.29