5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!
Firstly let me say that the cover to this book is lovely, several people have commented on it when it has been spotted lying around my house.
The story focuses mainly on Liza Haven as she returns to Stoneguard but we do gradually get to know Lee too as the odd chapter details what she is up to while Liza is trying to juggle everything and fool everyone into thinking...
Published on 23 Nov 2010 by Dot

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to give up
I found the original premise quite funny but after a couple of days she should have owned up instead of trying to run a business. I gave up halfway through because in all honesty I really couldn't give a monkey's.
Published on 5 July 2012 by bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine example of chick lit, 30 Sep 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
This seems like such a frivolous novel to begin with - the very girly front cover, the identity swap of the twin sisters at the centre of the novel, the stuntwoman job of Liza - that I felt as though it would be a throwaway book; one of those you read and then instantly forget. Getting Away With It is far from this - in fact, I think it will prove to be pretty unforgettable.

Cohen does incredibly well because at the start of the novel I really didn't take to Liza at all - she was selfish, prickly, arrogant and generally horrendous to everyone she comes into contact with. Lee, on the other hand, is sweet and vulnerable and anxious to please - I found her to be a little bit like a doormat in the way she allowed people to treat her. Both sisters were clearly trapped in places that they didn't want to be, and the absolute joy of this novel is watching them develop and change and open their wings. Liza's journey is by far the most satisfying - her growth as a character really is brilliant - but it was also lovely seeing Lee start to take charge of her life.

Getting Away With It also contains some incredibly touching moments. Liza and Lee's mother has Alzheimer's, and her change in personality and her confusion and impatience with her disease caused me to choke up a few times. This ensures that the novel never feels frivolous.

Add to this the fact that Cohen has done her work concerning twins - she emphasises a number of times that, no matter the connection between twins, they are always two whole and unique people rather than two halves of the same whole. I absolutely love this, since I imagine that often twins must become very tired of being compared to each other and being treated in the same manner.

The only part of the novel that made me feel a little uncomfortable was the Will situation. Will is the aristocratic boyfriend of Lee at the start of the novel, and I felt a little bit odd that he and Liza strike sparks, especially considering he has already slept with Lee. Having said that, Cohen does write a very, very good sex scene!

Getting Away With It is begging to be made into a movie - it's written beautifully, and I can easily imagine a film about Liza and Lee. I've even entertained myself wondering who could possibly play the twins!

I absolutely loved Getting Away With It. It was a long luxurious novel with plentiful character development and truly lovely writing. In the future I will be reading any of Cohen's output. She is that rare creature - someone who can write a novel that becomes more than just a particular genre; who writes a book that should be tried by anyone. Don't be put off by the girly colour; this is not just a chick lit novel, it is a damn good yarn. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Nov 2014
very pleased

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to give up, 5 July 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like the female main character, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
I suppose the problem with this book for me was that I didn't like the main character Liza from the very beginning. I tried honest! But unfortunately she still had not endeared herself to me by the time she returned home so I sacked it. I doubt I would read any other books by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where do I start?, 6 April 2013
M. H. K. Winkels "Madelon" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
With the very unsympathetic character of the main person?
With the utmost unbelievable story?
With the highly predictable outcome?
Take your pick!

1.0 out of 5 stars absolutely awful!, 10 July 2012
W. L. Dant (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
This had to be one of the most unbelievably inane books I have had the misfortune to read. the story is pathetic, the characters unbelievable. Not worth the paper it's written on.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Getting Away With It
Getting Away With It by Julie Cohen (Paperback - 17 Mar 2011)