5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!
Firstly let me say that the cover to this book is lovely, several people have commented on it when it has been spotted lying around my house.
Published on 23 Nov 2010 by Dot

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to give up
I found the original premise quite funny but after a couple of days she should have owned up instead of trying to run a business. I gave up halfway through because in all honesty I really couldn't give a monkey's.
Published on 5 July 2012 by bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Hardcover)
The story focuses mainly on Liza Haven as she returns to Stoneguard but we do gradually get to know Lee too as the odd chapter details what she is up to while Liza is trying to juggle everything and fool everyone into thinking she is her perfect twin sister. It seems that both sisters are running away from certain things and the book deals with what they are afraid of and whether the answer to their problems is to simply return home.
it was really interesting to see Liza pretending to be her sister, she learns more about herself and the person she wants to be by stepping into her twin sister's shoes. The only person that Liza can't fool is her mother who has appeared to favour Lee over Liza for their whole lives. Liza's mother has Alzheimers and I think that Julie Cohen dealt with this issue so well. The author describes the day to day struggles and challenges of caring for somebody with this condition.
There is an element of romance to this book too, Liza finds herself attracted to Will Naughton, the local aristocrat but she tries to keep her distance as she knows that it would be the ultimate betrayal to steal her sister's boyfriend, but he is very persistent...
Julie Cohen has written a lovely book, Getting Away With It questions what you are running away from in life and to consider that everyone has struggles no matter how calm and content they appear.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bumper Read!, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Hardcover)
Coming in at over 500 pages 'Getting Away With It' is a bumper read. This is the first Julie Cohen book that I have read and after reading this one I am looking forward to reading more by this author.

This book is about twin sisters Lee and Liza, Lee is dubbed the good twin while Liza is known as the bad twin. I really liked both the characters and enjoyed reading how Liza easily slipped into her sister's life.

I really enjoyed the story and the characters we were introduced to throughout the book. There was a lot that went on throughout which kept me glued to the pages and which prevented the book from becoming boring. This really is a great book which I would definitely recommend which I enjoyed and I eagerly read on in anticipation wanting to know how it was all going to pan out for the twins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Away With It, 1 Nov 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Hardcover)
Liza Haven couldn't wait to escape the small village where she grew up with her perfect identical twin sister, Lee. Her life in LA as a stunt woman is reckless, fast and free - and that's just the way she likes it. But when a near-fatal mistake drives her home, she finds Lee gone and everyone in the village mistaking her for her twin sister. Liza has to deal with her ailing mother, the family ice cream business, and Lee's dangerously attractive boyfriend. Liza's always been the bad twin, but as she struggles to keep up the masquerade and puzzle out where her sister has gone, she realises it's not so simple. She's spent her whole life getting away with it - is it finally time to face up to who she really is and where she really belongs?

Getting Away With It is a huge chunk of a book, coming in at just over 500 pages and with such a large book there's always a worry it might be overly long but I didn't have such a worry with Getting Away With It. I got stuck into the book almost immediately and I could barely put it down. The book is completely engaging and the book begins by Liza, a stunt woman, having her big accident that will eventually lead to her heading back home to Stonegate after many years away. I found the opening very intriguing, and I found it very interesting how it came about that Liza ended up impersonating her twin sister Lee. Liza has always been known as the `bad' twin whereas sister Lee is the `good' twin, so to see the switch between the two of them was fascinating as Liza suddenly finds herself being the good twin and ends up enjoying it whereas Lee, always known for being the dependable twin suddenly does a 180 and does some Liza-like things.

I thoroughly enjoyed Liza's twin switch and how she suddenly began acting like Lee because it was easier than being thought of as the bad twin. I've never read anything like it, and I found it astounding how nobody, bar the twins' mother, knew Liza was actually Liza and not Lee. Liza managed to fool everybody, even Lee's boyfriend Will. The book not only focuses on Liza's attempts to be Lee, but we also every once in a while learn what the real Lee is up to as she has her mini breakdown. I thought those chapters added a lot to the book and it was nice to learn a bit more about the real Lee. The book also deals with the terrible disease Alzheimers, which Lee and Liza's mum suffers from. It was very touching how Cohen portrayed the disease and it was interesting to see her in her more lucid moments but it was also heartbreaking when she had her more difficult moments. But what was most interesting was the way Liza dealt with her mum's disease. At times she was a bit cruel, but she eventually `got' what having Alzheimers meant.

The majority of the book is set in the town of Stoneguard and although the town sounded a bit suffocating it also sounded as if the people of the town would do anything for one of their own and I liked the community feel. And as Liza spends more time there, she, too, learns that Stoneguard might not be as terrible as she remembers it. Yes Ma Gamble was a nosy parker, but the majority of those who live in the town were really great. I particularly loved those who worked at Ice Cream Haven, the ice-cream company the Haven family built up. My biggest worry for the book would be how it all ended - how can a person impersonating another person really come out of it OK? - but I was impressed with the ending. It wasn't rushed and it didn't seem convenient, and I liked that. I loved how the book was about finding yourself but more importantly finding your way home. Cohen has hit a total winner with her novel and I can't wait to see what comes next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting away with it, 22 Aug 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book starts off by introducing us to Liza, a film stunt double. From the sounds of it she leads an exciting life but she just doesn't seem to be fulfilled. This leads her to push herself taking a stupid risk which has a disastrous consequence for her health and livelihood.

Liza grew up in a small village where everyone knew everyone else's business. As the story evolves we find out about her twin sister, Lee, from whom she has grown apart. We find out about her motivations for leaving the village and about her difficult relationship with her mother.

Because of her accident, Liza is forced to return to the UK and through a series of events she ends up stepping into the shoes and life of her twin sister. No one, except for her mother, realises that Liza is not Lee. Throughout the story events unfold which cause Liza to question her previous assumptions about her childhood, the village in which she grew up and more importantly her complex relationship with her mother.

The story is beautifully written and once started is very difficult to put back down. The characters are very believable and you find yourself really wanting Liza to work through the emotional baggage that she has carried with her throughout her life.

The book also touches on some of the difficulties and frustrations of living and dealing with someone who is suffering from Alzheimers. I felt that this was approached in a sensitive manner and it gave a brief insight into what life must be like for those who care for someone with this disease.

I did wonder how things would pan out at the end when Lee returned to claim her life back and thought that this could be the undoing of the book. However, this wasn't the case and Julie Cohen successfully tied up the loose ends whilst making it feel very believable.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves chick lits that have a little bit more depth and substance.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 13 July 2011
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Hardcover)
having read a few of the authors previous books, published by little back dress, and they are a bit of a mixed bag so didnt really know what to expect from "getting away with it". at 500 pages i thought it would last me a whole 4 days away in the Netherlands but i was hooked that i finished it in 2 days. liza and lee are twins and arent very close unlike the stereotype of twins but life brings liza back to her hometown and then it really gets good. lee has disappeared and left liza i her place so liza decides to be lee and the good twin for a while. great read, couldnt put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can judge this one by the cover!, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
This book was in my Amazon recommendations and as I liked the blurb and cover, I thought why not? Then it sat on the shelf for ages. I have to say that once I started it, I loved it. I thought it was a great idea for a plot to have a twin act as her sister. I enjoyed the story with Liza learning all about herself, that she did not want to be the 'bad' twin and the growing realisatiuon of the life her sister Lee had to lead. The love story that runs through is predictable, but in a comfortable way and I was desperate to get the ending I wanted. I learnt why Julie Cohen gives other authors tips on how to write a sex scene. So many interesting themes in this book including making ice cream, crop circles and alzheimers. The latter was so well handled that you could feel Liza's love and frustration with her mother and how she felt like the less favoured child. This is an ideal holiday read and I would recommend it to anyone. I am now off to order more of the author's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Away with It - Julie Cohen, 29 Jun 2011
lucie Wheeler (essex) - See all my reviews
This is the first book I have read by Julie Cohen and I must say, I was not disappointed. It is one of the longest books I have read, however, I didn't find that it dragged or became stagnant in places. The pace was well kept throughout the novel and easy to pick up again after each reading.

The story is about Liza and Lee Haven. Twins who conformed to the typical good twin, bad twin format. Lee Haven has stayed her whole life in their hometown in Stoneguard, Wiltshire, looking after their mother who is deteriorating with Alzeimers and taking full control of the family ice cream business, Ice Cream Heaven. Whilst 'bad' twin Liza has flown the nest to LA to have her career as a stunt woman. After a near-fatal accident, Liza finds herself going home to recuperate, but not telling her family why she is returning as she does not want the 'I told you so's'.

When Liza returns, she finds that Lee has disappeared without trace and her mother's illness is a lot worse than Lee was admitting to her. Lee gets in contact with Liza and asks her to hold the fort whilst she is away and Liza takes it quite literally and ends up living the next three weeks as 'good' twin Lee. She fools Lee's friends and work colleagues and even her on/off boyfriend Will. But Liza then begins to realise how much she wants the life here in Stoneguard that her sister has and begins to question her own identity.

The story ends really nicely, although I wont say how; you will have to read it to find out!

Julie unravel's the characters wonderfully and really enables you to identify with Liza. The way she describes the daily struggle both with someone who suffers with Alzeimers and the struggle of the surrounding friends and family members was both sensitive and extremely well done.

I look forward to reading more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, thought provoking and feel good read, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
I just loved this book and could hardly bear to put it down. It is a fun, fresh twist on the old classic good twin/bad twin mistaken identity plot. But fast paced and easy to read doesn't mean lightweight. The book deals with several thought provoking issues, eg Alzheimer's, and delved deep into the differing perceptions and attitudes of the main characters, both about themselves and how other people viewed them, and how this affected their behaviour.

The plot itself is interesting, with plenty of intriguing twists and turns to keep you hooked. And the main character is hilarious and very sympathetic, despite being abrupt and rude at times, particularly at the beginning.

The ending is great and very satisfying. My only slight thought is that it did seem to wrap up a bit quickly - but maybe that was because I was so sorry to have finished reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Achingly wonderful, 2 April 2011
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
This book is utterly wonderful. Having read Julie Cohen books before (Girl From Mars and Being a Bad Girl are also superb, if you want more from her) I had high expectations and they were utterly blown away.

This book is wonderful, heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written. I loved every moment of it, ached along with her characters, and read the last line with teary eyes.

I'm not going to bother to reprise the plot for you because I can never see the point of that. If the blurb interests you, buy this book and I am quite, quite sure that the only disappointment you'll have is waiting for her to write the next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, powerful, emotional, heart-warming and sexy... you really won't want to put it down!, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
Growing up in the quaint, idyllic Wiltshire village of Stoneguard was a claustrophobic experience for Liza Haven. Especially when there was a gossipmonger on every street corner, you were under constant scrutiny from success driven - and the 20th Century's answer to Deborah Meaden - mother Abigail and felt you just couldn't compete with your perfect twin, Lee.

Plus if you hate ice cream, it's rather unfortunate to have been born into an ice-cream emporium; Ice Cream Heaven.

No wonder Liza was keen to take-off at eighteen, travel the world and build-up a fantastically successful career as stuntwoman, reaching the dizzying accolades of credits on Hollywood Blockbusters.

Twelve years on life could be perfect for Liza if she didn't have the niggling guilt at the back of her mind that she isn't quite pulling her weight. Not since the `Horrid Christmas' two years ago anyway. The Christmas where Abigail announced she had the onset of Alzheimer's and would be handing the running of Ice Cream Heaven over to Lee so Abigail could become a recluse and Liza and Lee ended up having a huge row. Now they're down to exchanging emails of what they've had for breakfast. Not good.

So when Liza pushes the boundaries, becomes out of control and manages to crash an almost priceless Ferrari Enzo writing off the car and her career into the bargain, she finds herself back in Britain and back in the one place she's been fighting for years to stay away from.

But Liza's not the only one out of control. Running the family business has taken its toll on Lee and suddenly Liza's not the only one who wants to runaway. And when Liza turns up at the Stoneguard School Reunion she finds herself not only covering for the absent Lee but pretending to be her perfect sister into the bargain.

Can she get away with it? Possibly... but she hasn't bet on Lee having a boyfriend. The handsome, sexy, and upper-class, Will Naughton of Naughton Hall. Someone Liza detested as a teenager. And discovering you have dangerously strong feelings for the man who's your sister's boyfriend? That's where all the fun begins...

It sounds like a cliché but this is the best book I've read in a while. It's like romance (my favourite genre) meets action packed-thriller... okay that's probably a bit over the top, but the plot is so pacy that you are carried along with the story and won't want to put the book down!

I've read several Julie Cohen novels and what I most like about her writing is her focus on emotions; you really get to feel what the character is feeling. She doesn't disappoint in this novel, I could really identify with Lee's need to escape and Liza's past feelings of oppression and her fear of giving in and letting people into her life. What also touched me was the theme of Alzheimer's in this book and how this can affect not just the person suffering but everyone surrounding them.

And if a strong heroine determined to achieve isn't enough for you, Will makes a most drool-worthy hero. And we could all do with one of those.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Getting Away With It
Getting Away With It by Julie Cohen (Hardcover - 28 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: 1.59