4.0 out of 5 stars Double Cross...
I've read many of the Alex Cross series, and have enjoyed reading Double Cross. Although the plot follows a familar pattern, I still found James Pattenson an addictive read. While writing this review, I would also highly recommend 'The Constantine Legacy' by Andrew Towning. His Jake Dillon charactor is one to watch out for.
Published on 12 Feb. 2008 by Sarah Gooding

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but too much of a good thing turns boring!
Published on 25 Sept. 2007 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but too much of a good thing turns boring!, 25 Sept. 2007
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Double Cross (Hardcover)
I tend to agree with previous reviews in the sense that I am a huge Patterson fan, rushing to pre-order the latest book, but was dissapointed with this latest Cross novel. As much as the book was okay, I tend to feel that with him churning out so many books he is losing appeal (and fans) with his monotiny of writing styles and characters. I will certainly continue to read Patterson, hoping that he will return to his glory, but won't be rushing to pre-order.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like painting by numbers, 20 Sept. 2007
A. King - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross (Hardcover)
I'm a HUGE fan of James Patterson's and have read everything from Season of the Machete onwards and I have to admit this is the first time I have been disappointed. I had been eagerly anticipating the new Alex Cross and was staggered to find this unoriginal, predictable, uninspired offering. I can't help but wonder if the effort having 4 books published in one year might have been to Alex's detriment, as though this series took a back seat to Patterson's other projects and he just dipped into Alex's story like a safe little aside. That said, it wasn't a terrible book and, if I don't compare it to previous books, it was perfectly readable and comfortable. A good bath time read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Double Cross..., 12 Feb. 2008

1.0 out of 5 stars Double Cross, 8 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Double Cross (Alex Cross) (Paperback)
This is Patterson's latest Alex Cross offering. When I'd finished reading it one word came to mind -- Hokum! No characterisation. Relationships very poorly developed (the sexual vibe between AC and his new squeeze is puerile). Major developments have not been convincingly 'engineered' but happen simply because the author wants them to. Anyone looking for adult reading in this genre should turn to Michael Connelly or James Lee Burke. If I could give this less than 1 star I would.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but getting a bit samy, 10 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Double Cross (Hardcover)
It is time Patterson dropped the Alex Cross series. It is becoming very samy. Through the women's club series he has shown that he can renew himself and do better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Audio book, 22 Nov. 2009
BJShalts (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross (Audio CD)
I have to say I agree with another reviewer- Maggie- who say's this book was a disappointment compared to Patterson's previous books. While the character of Alex Cross remains believable, his family, including Nana, did indeed feel a bit two dimensional compared to previous books, and I felt Patterson was upping the quota of sadistic violence in the tale in order to keep the pace going. But still, it was a good read, with plenty of satisfying plot twists, and fans of Alex Cross will doubtless enjoy it.

I purchased the audio CD rather than the book, and I must say the story was excellently read by Peter J. Fernandez and Michael Stuhlbarg. Their skill and pace added a lot to the tale-

which at a running time of 8 hours- across 7 CDs is quite an epic!

If you're into James Patterson, and audio CDs, I recommend you go for 'Mary, Mary' - read by the same readers. I found the quality of the writing was a bit better, and the family drama unfolding as a subplot was so good, it could stand alone as a book in itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best in the series, 12 Sept. 2007
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Double Cross (Hardcover)
'Double Cross' is the 13th book in the Alex Cross series and is without a doubt one of the Patterson's best yet.

The story begins when Alex is forced out of retirement when his new girlfriend, Bree Stone, is the lead detective on a series of vicious murders where the killer likes to show off his "work" in pubic places, giving him the title The Audience Killer/DCAK. If that's not enough, Alex's old nemesis, Kyle Craig has escaped from the maximum security prison where he was being held and is now on the loose again.

I've been a huge fan of the Alex Cross series since the beginning and know all the books well and I can honestly say that 'Double Cross' is easily up there with Along Came A Spider and Kiss the Girls when it comes to quality. The chapters are as short and fast-paced as usual, which keeps the tension very high and never lets the excitement slip. All the usual characters return and the new killer, DCAK, is also full of surprises and is truly one sick individual, as is Kyle Craig. Throughout the whole book there isn't one dull chapter and once you start reading it is impossible to stop. Whether or not you are a regular reader of the Cross series this book is simply un-missable!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking suspense.., 12 Dec. 2008
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Double Cross (Alex Cross) (Paperback)
I'm disappointed... I've not actually read a JP since the days of 'Kiss the Girls' and 'Along came a Spider' and after loving these novels I think I was looking forward to a thrilling ride.
Instead I found his latest offering lacking in any depth with a poorly constructed, confusing plot and a yaaaawn of a finish. It just felt rushed and thrown together and I spent half the time trying to work out which killer was which and who'd done what - and no, I'm not missing the irony in that complaint - what I mean is that we were clearly supposed to be able to follow it and I found it hard work.
That said, it was readable to a degree and I did finish it but I think only because I wanted to know who was who to combat my confusion - I couldn't really be bothered concentrating so that says a lot about it's ability to hold one's attention.
Anyhoo - I'm sure people will disagree but I was bored with it and won't hurry to read another of his...

1.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Double Cross (Alex Cross) (Paperback)
Its so bad its almost funny (almost). If you liked this try Colin Forbes "No Mercy" - its even worse.

3.0 out of 5 stars iv read better, 21 Dec. 2013
Not one of james Patterson's better books. I like alex cross but this one wasnt quite as good as his past novels

Double Cross (Alex Cross)
Double Cross (Alex Cross) by James Patterson (Paperback - 18 Sept. 2008)