4.0 out of 5 stars Another brisk, darkly funny journey into the mind of a messed up 'hero'., 5 May 2012
This review is from: Mr Monster (Paperback)
John Wayne Cleaver is your average teenager; he fantasizes about girls, has a turbulent relationship with his mother and is slowly deciding what sort of person he wants to be. Oh, and he's a sociopath with murderous tendencies!

'Mr Monster' carries on the trials and tribulations of everyone's favourite teenage sociopath where the previous book left off and let me tell you, the pace doesn't slow down for a second. Having just solved the unsettling mystery behind a string of murders in the previous book, John finds himself in a similarly twisted situation as a fresh batch of bodies start turning up. But John's finding it increasingly difficult to keep his alternate personality, the eponymous Mr Monster, locked up inside his psyche. With new opportunities to unleash his deepest, darkest desires presenting themselves at every corner, will John be able fight back and resist? I can only tell you to read on.

I devoured the first book in the series and was equally satisfied with Mr Monster, despite the rather jarring shift from tentative thriller to full-throttle horror. Without spoiling anything, the antagonist in this volume isn't sympathetic AT ALL and lends a far edgier atmosphere to the proceedings than in the previous installment. John himself is also becoming more and more troubled, which makes him a challenging character to root for in certain parts of the story, but that's partly what makes him so fascinating. I wholly recommend this book to anybody who enjoyed the first and can't wait to see what grisly happenings the third book has in store.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh so scary, 8 Jan 2013
Dazzstiff (stowmarket, suffolk England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Monster (Kindle Edition)
Funny scary, realistic? (I,m not a serial killer so I,m just guessing). So good I just finished at 3am cause I had to know what happened. Hope there,s another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2nd book in a trilogy of terror, 16 May 2012
M. King (Preston, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Monster (Kindle Edition)
The other books in this series are I am not a Serial Killer and I Don't want to kill you . They deal with our young heroes battle with his dark side whilst at the same time having to deal with a number of serial killers who target his home town.

At first I thought it was quite reminiscent of Dexter but, the nature of Johns opponents differentiates this as does his ongoing struggle with his nature

First two books get 4 stars for me with the third getting 5 as it rounds off the trilogy very nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good and creepy adventure for John Cleaver, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mr Monster (Paperback)
Mr Monster by Dan Wells is the second book in the John Cleaver series and a big improvement on I am not a Serial Killer.

In this book we are back with teenage sociopath just months after the events of the first book and there is another killer in town. It quickly becomes apparent that this killer is connected to the killer in the first story and with this book Dan Wells has really opened up this series to be something much more than was promised in the first book.

I am not a Serial Killer's strengths were in how well the author had crafted John's character to create a truly disturbing portrayal of a sociopath who struggles with his homicidal tendencies. Sadly because so much effort had been put into getting that part of the book right, the supernatural element really didn't seem to fit with the overall story and the demon just didn't seem to be very well crafted or fleshed out.

The enemy in this book however is much more unique and well crafted with far more subtle and less stereotyped supernatural strengths and also a lot more of a back story that opens the supernatural element wide open. By adding more depth into the supernatural element of the book it didn't contrast so much with the already brilliant character of John Cleaver.

In this book both key elements were great and so it was a vast success in my eyes. I have to say that I also love the struggles the protagonist has with his normal life just as much as the main conflict that he is a part of. It is really fascinating reading about him trying to be a normal person and dealing with his very creepy and obsessive tendencies.

This book only lost a star because there is so much about it that is just uncomfortable. I like how well the author has captured John's illness but it is hard not to put the book down sometimes as the character is often impossible to relate to and I find myself simply needing to have a break. Whilst I enjoy it I find that I simply can't read it in one sitting without getting that same uncomfortable feeling you get when watching someone about to really obviously put his foot in it on a television show, only ten times worse.

Still, this is an enjoyable read and I will definitely recommend to fans of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mr Monster (Kindle Edition)
Just can't wait to get stuck into the third book , original storyline that keeps u interested from page one to the final page , you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great book, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Mr Monster (Kindle Edition)
Nothing more to add, just a really good page turner and looking forward to reading the next instalment of John Cleaver

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Sequel, 10 Mar 2010
This review is from: Mr Monster (Paperback)
Over at Elitist Book Reviews, we recently posted the following review for Dan Wells' MR. MONSTER. Go drop by our blog and check out our other reviews:

Elitist Book Reviews (you'll find us at blogspot).

The Review (no spoilers):

When we first started Elitist Book Reviews, we set things rolling with a review of a (then) UK only release. It was a YA Urban Fantasy/Horror novel by Dan Wells that goes by the title; I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER--a story about John Wayne Cleaver, a young teenager who has all the markers of becoming a serial killer. Think of it as a young Dexter (the Jeff Lindsay character), but much better written, better paced, more character-driven, and containing borderline paranormal aspects done right. In short, it was, for us, one of the best novels released in 2009. So that means the sequel should fall flat right? That's kind of how things work these days, right?

This is the part where we say how much we love Dan Wells, and the character he created in John Cleaver. Not only does the second book, MR MONSTER, live up to the expectations and awesomeness of the first novel, it completely blows it out of the water. MR. MONSTER is better in every way than its predecessor. If I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER was one of the best novels of 2009, MR. MONSTER is currently one of the best novels of the past FIVE years.

We. Freaking. Loved. It.

Now, for your benefit, we should probably mention that we have read this book before. Like, a long time ago, in its draft form. If you haven't figured it out by now, we are good friends with Dan. We are test readers for him. And before you ask, no, we are not biased. We are friends with plenty of authors whose work we hate. Also, as a final point of interest, MR. MONSTER was just released in the UK, and won't be available in the US until October-ish.

Anyways, back to the review.

There are a lot of reasons why we loved MR. MONSTER. First of all, we just love being able to read another story about John Wayne Cleaver. MR. MONSTER takes place several months after the events of I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER, and from the first page, we hit the ground running. The final events of the first book have taken a toll on our teenage protagonist. Why is that important? Because Dan shows us within a few pages that all actions have consequences in his story-arc. John Cleaver is a character undergoing a metamorphosis, and it is a measure of Dan's writing that he can pull it off so convincingly. His PoV is simply one of our favorite PoVs in speculative fiction.

Another great thing about MR. MONSTER is its ability to stand as its own novel. Yes, it is a sequel. Yes, you should read the first book (to FINALLY be released in the US at the end of March). But really, MR. MONSTER is its own...uh...monster. By setting up the book this way, Dan Wells neatly avoids the potential pitfalls of writing the middle book of a trilogy. This time around, John Cleaver is living with the consequences of his actions in book 1. He is dealing with an agent from the FBI. He continues his struggles with a dysfunctional family. And, of course, another killer is on the loose. The contained arc of this story--not to mention the perfect pacing--make this novel one of the best reading experiences you are likely to have...until book 3. Yes, we are cruel for even mentioning it. And yes, we LOVE being cruel this way.

MR. MONSTER (the name of the book, and also the name John Cleaver gives to his inner killer) is a YA novel, but it is easily better than a majority of "older" fiction. Its accessibility makes it a read that (nearly) everyone can enjoy. However, if we could mention one thing, MR. MONSTER is quite a bit darker than the first book. There are some parts that disturbed us...even on the re-read. It should in no way keep you from reading the book, but hey, our job is to keep you informed right?

We were asked recently to give a little blurb about MR. MONSTER for potential press stuff. Here is what we said:

With Mr. Monster, Dan Wells has given us an intense, riveting, gut-wrenching dive into the dark world of the demons within us. His main character, John Wayne Cleaver, manages to thoroughly freak us out while simultaneously being one of the most sympathetic characters in the horror genre. Let your own inner monster free, and immerse yourself in this dark, page-turning adventure.

Pretty good eh? Well, now you know what we think.

Recommended Age: 15 and up. This is a tad higher than the rating we gave book one, but the content is a tad more extreme in MR. MONSTER.
Language: A little. Nothing major.
Violence: Uh, yeah. Did we mention we were a little disturbed even though this was our second read-through?
Sex: None. This is YA Urban Fantasy/Horror, not effing Gossip Girl (not that we know what that is or anything...)

5.0 out of 5 stars A YA book with a difference, 24 Sep 2014
A. Loughrey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Monster (Kindle Edition)
I thought the whole concept for this book was brilliant. Totally refreshing.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - Awesome!, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: Mr Monster (Paperback)
For some reason the first book in this series completely passed me by so I am really pleased I was given the opportunity to review Mr Monster. I really loved it and think it's fast become one of my favourite YA horror books.

Dan Wells has a charming style of writing and I found myself completely immersed in John's story from the first few pages. It felt completely original and unlike anything I had read before. I found it easy to follow even though I hadn't read the first book (`I am NOT a Serial Killer') so you can easily read this as a standalone if you wish but I felt like kicking myself for not reading the other one first. I enjoyed this one so much I really wish I had started at the beginning.

Described in the press release as a cross between `Dexter and The X-files' I found myself comparing it more to the show `Supernatural' - perhaps because I associate The X-files more with aliens and this story is demon based but also because it has a more young and fresh feel. I have also got to admit I had the `Supernatural' tag line `Scary just go sexy' going through my mind the whole time I was reading it - although in the case of John Cleaver perhaps it should be `sexy just got scary'!

Despite the fact he is a sociopath I found myself really liking John Cleaver, which considering the type of thoughts he has on a day to day basis, was somewhat disturbing. But I really did and I think this is testament to how good a writer Wells is. I actually enjoyed spending time with John and look forward to future instalments.

The story itself is really, really good. It's also rather scary for a YA novel. Actually I'd compare it to many of the adult horror stories that are available - it is rather dark and there were moments when I actually had to put the book down. Definitely creepy - it also felt very believable and Wells doesn't shy away from some of the more `horrific' aspects of the story -and it is so much better because of it.

Slightly disturbing but also rather awesome! I can't wait to read more books by this author. I will have to go back to the beginning and read I am NOT a Serial Killer' in my wait for the next book featuring John Cleaver.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Monster, 29 May 2010
Ms. Mc Fawcett "bookfreak" (sale cheshire england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Monster (Paperback)
Having read "I Am Not A Serial Killer " in virtually one sitting I couldn't wait to get my hands on "Mr Monster ". I have to say I was slightly disappointed ......Why ? well the innocence that Serial Killer had has well and truly gone ! I know John is a year older and I suppose his Mr Monster side had to come out a bit more , but I feel that the author didn't let his character develop slowly enough. The scenes of torture of the kidnapped girls was quite graphic and had me cringing in parts ! I really still enjoyed this book and look forward to the next installment

Mr Monster
Mr Monster by Dan Wells (Paperback - 4 Mar 2010)