5.0 out of 5 stars A EARLY SILENT WITNESS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A EARLY SILENT WITNESS, 15 May 2010
James Eves "applegarth" (London,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Hardcover)
I came to Imogen Robertson the wrong way round as i read Anatomy of Murder before Instruments of Darkness,but i am glad to say it did not matter,as both are excellant.In Anatony of Murder Imogen Robertson has done her research on London of the 1780`s and she brings that knowledge on to the page with the passion and detail that had me totally involved in the dark and gritty underworld of London town, as well as in the front seat in the theatre of the world of opera.I especially enjoyed the informative background on the Castrati,although as a man it was a little uncomfortable.I was taken by surprise at the beginning of the book of how good the writing of the chase and capture of the Marquis de La Fayette was ,it had us in the thick of the action, this was up there with Bernard Cornwell,Robert Low,Alexander Kent and Dudley Pope, great stuff, not what i was expecting from the beginning of this forensic science crime/thriller.Telling the story first from the view of Harriet and Gabrial and the world of the opera,and then from the seedy side of London with Jocasta and Sam,it all comes to a thrilling and exciting climax,to me Imogen Robertson is a rising star of the Historical Crime/thriller movement, more of Harriet and Gabrial soon please.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best new-to-me-authors I've found this year, 4 Aug 2010
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Hardcover)
First Sentence: Captain Westerman was in his cabin reading the letter from his wife for the fourth time when he heard the officer of the morning watch ring Six Bells.

Mrs. Harriet Westerman and her friend, Gabriel Crowther, are once again embroiled in solving a murder. However, the stakes are even higher as they deal with treason against England during the Revolutionary War.

In a much less elegant part of London, Tarot-card reader sees the impending murder of one of her clients. Although she fails in preventing the murder, she is determined to bring the woman's killers to justice.

Beginning with an exciting and dramatic scene, this is one of those can't-stop-until-I-finish-it books.

Ms. Robertston's writing is atmospheric and insightful with a strong sense of time and place, subtle, wry humor, a marvelous voice and style which evoke the period and the emotions of the characters. I found it fascinating to see the Revolution from the English perspective.

I love the characters. Harriet, intuitive and more able to relate to others, and Crowther, the cold, analytic scientist, balance each other well. Harriet is someone who, as a real person, I should like very much. We learn more of Crowther and his past, which hints of much more to come. I am enjoying the evolution of their relationship despite the differences in the ages and natures. All the characters are alive and wonderful. It's nice to see the characters from the first book, including Molloy, and meet the delightful new characters Jocasta, Sam and Boyo. I did feel a cast of characters would have been helpful.

The captivating plot, good twist, the way in which the threads were brought together was wonderful. Set in 1781 during the Revolution, the story deals with traitors, murder and opera with a touch of the metaphysical. It takes you from the Opera house and salons of the wealthy to the meanest slums of London revealing the apathy and cruelty which resides in each.

Ms. Robertston is one of the best new-to-me-authors I've found this year. Her writing is insightful with interesting observations on celebrity worship, and encourages one to look at things from a different perspective. It is not often that events in a book make me truly cry, but it speaks to speaks to an author's skill that her writing evokes such strong emotion.

It was an excellent read but I recommend starting with her first book. I can't wait for her next book.

ANATOMY OF MURDER (Hist Mys-Harriet Westerman/Gabriel Crowther-England-Georgian/1781) - Ex
Robertson, Imogen - 2nd in series
Headline, ©2010, UK Hardcover - ISBN: 9780755348428

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic quality read!, 3 July 2010
James M-C (Warden Bay, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Hardcover)
This is the sequel to Imogen Robertson's debut novel, Instruments of Darkness. Both novels are set in the 18th century, this second one in London, and recount the murder investigations that the unlikely pairing of the two principal protagonists find themselves drawn into. Dr. Crowther, coloured darkly by a past stained with tragic events, is unequalled in his expertise in post-mortem investigations. Harriet Westerman is a strong, independent woman with a will to see justice done. Their relationship of friendship and mutual reliance is finely drawn. The host of subsidiary characters in both novels are wonderful cameos, with strong characterisations emerging from their phyiscal depictions and their dialogue. These novels are quality, well-researched, historical who-dunnit page-turners, written in elegant but highly-readable prose, describing lives in a range of social settings making the writing worthy of Dickens one moment and Jane Austen the next. Highly recommended, and can't wait for the third instalment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another outing for Gabriel and Harriet, 21 July 2011
Pamela Thomas (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Paperback)
I read 'Instruments of Darkness' a while ago, and greatly enjoyed it, so I was pleased to see the second in the series. I wish now that I'd gone back and at least skimmed through the first book to refresh events and characters in my mind, I'd advise people to read the books in order. This one takes place mainly in London and revolves around musicians and singers at a top Opera House. Fascinating details on the castrati, and good dollops of the seamier side of London life as well. However, a major irritant was the author's failure to get titles right. As the daughter of an Earl, Susan would ALWAYS be 'Lady Susan' - never Lady Thornleigh (that would be the title of the wife of Lord Thornleigh or Sir John Thornleigh). And if her brother is the Earl of Sussex, he wouldn't be Lord Thornleigh as well, that's a courtesy title. I think a quick trawl through the more obscure parts of Debrett is called for!

5.0 out of 5 stars She is the BEST writer, I love her., 14 July 2011
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Paperback)
I read reviews of her somewhere in cyberspace.
She is an excellent historical mystery writer, better than Anne Perry and Bruce Alexander.
Do not even hesitate, buy her books.
I had to spend 19$ to get her 2nd book here in the US.
That is how much I love her writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly done, 11 May 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Paperback)
History is not only written by the victors but, at times, by authors as it should have been rather than it was. Whilst they can't take huge leaps with the events of the recorded they can play around with the minutae that leads to possible connections and as such that is what Imogen has done extremely well in this, her second novel.

Whilst it won't appeal to everyone it is a title that has a great deal of imagination, a wonderful sense of 18th Century London and when backed with convincing almost background details brings the city of that century to life within the readers imagination. Add to this backdrop, strong lead characters who balance each other's strengths and weaknesses well and it's a title that many readers will have a hard time putting down. Finally add to the mix a wonderful sense of unrecorded history, a decent story arc and a touch of the flamboyant and it's a title that will please as well as enthral many to Imogen's writing style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personality, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Paperback)
Just as the first one, this is a great book. Reading it is a pleasure not only for its flowing prose but mainly for how well the author has depicted her characters, even the secondary ones: they all have rich personalities, Robertson has focused both on their flaws and their strengths. Excellent historical detail. To fully appreciate this story I suggest reading the first book.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 point 5, 31 Dec 2012
H. Lacroix (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Paperback)
This is normally the type of book I really enjoy reading. History and detection mixed together hardly ever fail to interest me provided the author also knows how to write. This one is not a complete success although there is much to like. The prose is vivid enough and 18th century London well recreated and as far as I can tell, convincingly so! I probably didn't enjoy the plot overmuch. The book is quite long (but not too long) yet hardly anything happens, nor is the mystery climatic once all is revealed. The story tags along, pleasantly enough and I enjoyed reading it but I was never engrossed. This is not a novel you struggle to leave when called to do something else! I suppose that the fact I didn't take to the main protagonists explains why I never fully engaged with the narrative. It is a pity that the author who seems really knowledgeable about this period didn't infuse more of her passion into the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm an Imogen Robertson fan anyway, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Anatomy of Murder (Paperback)
I enjoy these books (and have reviewed others on Amazon)

I by-passed the '50 shades' phenomenon because I was reading these. An historical murder mystery with enough twists, turns and intrigue to keep you reading. I like that the author doesn't go on and on trying to describe every stone, blade of grass and button cover, but gives you enough to feed your imagination. I have recommended this author to my bookworm friends and family members, and am yet to hear their opinions. There is a slight order to these books and I would suggest that you try to read them in order. This is the second book (so far there are 4) with 'Instruments of Darkness' being the first. I didn't read them in order and still managed to thoroughly enjoy them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the first..., 16 Feb 2012
... but still a good read. The story moves along at a good pace and there is intrigue aplenty for people to get their teeth into and try and work out who is behind the plots.

The characters are well written and again drive the story forward with their diametric approaches to the problems they have before them. I found it less exciting than the first, more complex plot lines and more depth of character seemed to slow the pace a little, but this was needed to bring out the story and the book didn't suffer because of it. The third in the series follows from this and I recommend that one too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Anatomy of Murder
Anatomy of Murder by Imogen Robertson (Paperback - 12 May 2011)