4.0 out of 5 stars Time of Terror by Seth Hunter
I heard about Seth Hunter when I booked for a writing workshop with Paul Bryer ('Fact into Fiction) and discovered that he was indeed one and the same. Consequently I bought the trilogy and started on the first one! I took three days to read it and the other two followed in quick succession.
I won't tell you the story (others have already done so in previous reviews...
Published on 2 Mar 2011 by Caroline A. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Action on the high Sea's (but mainly in Paris)
Published on 9 Feb 2009 by Mr. A. I. Harrison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Time of Terror by Seth Hunter, 2 Mar 2011
Caroline A. Harris (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake Trilogy 1) (Paperback)
I won't tell you the story (others have already done so in previous reviews. Suffice it to say it was an enjoyable and enlightening read.
Nathan Peake was a believable 'hero' tumbling through the most unlikely set of circumstances within Paris and the full horror of the French Revolution. I felt I was there!
I learned more from this fiction of the social history of the time from this novel than from all the dull tomes of the classroom. History came alive, as did the characters in the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Action on the high Sea's (but mainly in Paris), 9 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake Trilogy 1) (Paperback)
All you book lover's will recognise this scene. I finish work at 4pm and dash into town for a haircut before heading home. At 4.45 duly cropped I'm on my way back to the car when my clinical inability to walk past a book shop strikes again and before I know it it is 5.30 I have 2 books under my arm and I am frantically looking for a third to complete the 3 for 2 offer whilst an impatient shop keeper is looking at me daggers wanting to go home!
The pressure on, my eyes fall on the cover of this book, an 18 Century cutter surging into the surf, I flip it over, it's the story of a young English naval officer!, memories of Hornblower and Lucky Jack Aubrey spring to my mind and I complete the threesome and put the shop keeper out of their misery!

Had I more time I would probably have realised this is really the story of the power vacuum and subsequent terror and attrocities carried out in post revolution France and the actual sea faring components are comparatively small.

As a historical excercise I found the book hugely rewarding. I had heard of Danton and of course most noteably Robespierre, but had no real idea of their political views, how they came to blows and how they met their grisley deaths. The author also draws a wonderful picture of Paris at this particular time of turmoil and gives a real feel of how quickly things could turn decidely nasty for anyone who spoke against the revolution, used the wrong wording or simply forget to put on a tricolour badge on his hat!

The main problem I had was with the story being told from the point of view of the young Nathan Peake,a Brig commander who through his connections to the America's and his ability to speak French is thrown into the role of an under cover agent, smuggling goods, messages and millions of fake french banknotes onboard a commandeered American merchant man. This was fine but the author also wanted to put Peake into the action at sea and rather contrives to put him on a daring 'cutting out' mission and also more improbably in the heart of the action on the clash of fleets of the 'Glorious first of June' whilst he is flitting back accross the channel for fresh orders!

This would have been fine in a Sharp novel but given the more ambitious and serious nature of the rest of the book it felt a bit incongruous to this reader at least. I felt he would have done better perhaps to have two lead charactors one the spy and one the naval hero, though to be fair this would have invited comparrisons to O'Briens work.

However the book is very skillfully written, especially the political intrigue in Paris and the description of the battle of the first of June. The lead female charactors were especially colourful and engaging, though I found Peake himself a bit 2D and non descript.
It will be interesting to see if the author does a more conventional 'sea' story in the second of the trilogy though I am still undecided on whether to splash the cash or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Story, 4 Feb 2009
M. Adams (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time of Terror (Hardcover)
I ordered this for a friend who is very keen on naval stories. I started glancing through it and a day later finished the novel. This is so much more than a "sailing yarn". Set in the French revolution, it tells the story of an English naval officer - but is full of humour and history and lust as any novel I read. It is masterfully written, a gripping tale, and well worth anyone's time. I've now bought my own copy and have pre-ordered the second part of this trilogy. Don't miss it. Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars History Lesson, 22 May 2013
This review is from: The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake Trilogy 1) (Paperback)
Much more about the French Revolution rather than boys stuff on the high seas. Notwithstanding I very much enjoyed the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars A naval adventure with plenty of land-based action, 3 July 2010
Helen S - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Time of Terror (Hardcover)
Nathan Peake is a commander in the British Navy who spends his days chasing smugglers along the English coastline. This is not really Nathan's idea of fun and he longs to have some real adventures. He gets his chance in the year 1793 when, with England and France at war, he is asked to run the blockade in the English Channel and deliver some important documents to the American minister in Paris. Unknown to Nathan, however, his ship is carrying a cargo of counterfeit banknotes - putting his life in serious danger!

Although it's not necessary to be an expert on French history to understand this story, you will get more out of it if you have some prior knowledge of the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror. So if names such as Georges Danton and Robespierre mean nothing to you, it might be a good idea to do some research before beginning the book.

Readers who enjoy historical fiction novels that focus on real historical figures will be pleased to know that throughout the pages of The Time of Terror you'll meet the author and feminist Mary Wollstonecraft, the American agent (and Mary's lover) Gilbert Imlay, the revolutionary writer Thomas Paine and many more - so many, in fact, that I began to feel Hunter was just trying to drop as many famous names as possible into the story. The sheer amount of historical detail in this novel was slightly overwhelming, though usually interesting. There were dinner parties with Camille Desmoulins and Lucile Duplessis, visits to the waxworks (including a brief appearance by the young Madame Tussaud) and vivid descriptions of the guillotine. However, other parts of the story that interested me were barely touched on. The romantic storyline, for example, is very weak, and I would also have liked to have seen more of Nathan's American feminist mother who had the potential to be a fascinating character.

If you're concerned that there'll be a lot of unfamiliar nautical terms and difficult-to-understand naval battles you'll be right to some extent, but the story can still be followed even if you find yourself confused or bored by the seafaring aspects. The sea battle scenes, although very well written, actually contribute very little to the plot and the book would have worked better as a more conventional historical fiction novel in my opinion. However, there was probably too much land-based action to satisfy fans of nautical fiction so I think the book suffered from not really knowing what it wanted to be or what kind of reader it was aimed at.

The Time of Terror is the first in a trilogy but although I did find this book entertaining and interesting, I'm undecided as to whether I really want to invest the time in following Nathan's story to its conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nathan Peake No 1, 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake Trilogy 1) (Paperback)
My husband loved this book so had to buy No 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, 25 Feb 2014
I have been looking for decent, well written and historically accurate "Napoleonic" War naval fiction since Patrick O'Brien died. With this series I have found it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Time of Terror(Nathan Peake Trilogy 1), 23 Feb 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book it was a easy story to follow I hope the next instalment is as good the only thing lacking was action but still the story just flowed page after page. It kept me enthralled from beginning to end well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time of terror, 13 Jan 2014
Very good book loved the author extremely good storyline giving a fairly good idea on the the French Revolution, very hard to put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb series!, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake Trilogy 1) (Paperback)
First in a series of 6 books. Read them all and found them to be the best so far of this genre. The author has managed to present both fully developed stories and characters with a superbly researcherd historical background which intrigued me so much that I did further research on events and characters. Flowing prose(with the addition of interesting idioms I had never hear before such as All my eyes and Betty Martin!)matching action packed adventures both on land and at sea. I highly recommend all books!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake Trilogy 1)
The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake Trilogy 1) by Seth Hunter (Paperback - 8 Jan 2009)
7.19