4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but not her best
Judith Lennox always writes really good stories and `Catching the Tide' is no exception. The first part of the book really hums along, as the reader is introduced to Tessa, Freddie and Tessa's myriad friends and lovers. From about half way through though, I thought the storyline seemed to sag a little before picking up again towards the end of the second part.
The...
Published on 11 Nov 2011 by Jenna

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start but fab once rolling.
Lovely book. Well written but had to read big chunks to get into it. Disappointing ending, wanted more! Greedy I know!
Published 7 months ago by Amylouxx

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but not her best, 11 Nov 2011
Jenna (Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Paperback)
The story is told through the eyes of three women, the third being Rebecca, the wife of Tessa's lover Milo, and thanks to the author's skill it works very well. I knew very little about the happenings in Italy's during WW2, so for me this was a history lesson as well as a novel, and well done again to the author for her research and attention to detail. She always manages to portray how the ordinary man and woman are affected by both major and minor events, and captures the spirit and atmosphere very deftly indeed, delving into human emotions with assurance and honesty. I could feel the heat in Italy too and the damp desolation of a shattered London following the bombing raids.
Although I did enjoy this book, I don't think it is one of her best, hence only four stars. Although there is a lot of content in the story, I think maybe it is a little too long and some of the outcomes are a bit too predictable. Nevertheless a good, well written book, certainly worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal escapism..., 20 Dec 2011
jaffareadstoo (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Paperback)
This beautifully written book has an overwhelming theme of love and loss, and expertly captures the hedonistic atmosphere of pre war WW2 London and Europe.
Tessa Nicholson is young and very beautiful, she embraces love and passion with joie de vivre, and yet when she meets and falls in love with a married man her whole life is irrevocably changed. Her younger sister Frederica, has a stabilising influence but with war looming the sisters need to make their own very difficult choices.

I really enjoyed this book, Judith Lennox has an easy style of writing that captivates from the opening line, she has long been one of my favourite authors and this latest book is ideal escapism..I enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catching the Tide, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Paperback)
This is an interesting and well written book and up to the usual standard of this well-known author - I look forward to further books from her

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong women, dodgy men!, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Paperback)
Judith Lennox is one of my favourite authors and rarely disappoints.

This story of three women, Tessa, Rebecca and Freddie moves between Italy, London and a jumble of other locations towards the end of the story. Of the three Freddie's story is the most sketchy, without giving too much away do women really get kissed by complete strangers outside railway stations then coerced into a dangerous and arduous journey within moments of meeting. It certainly wouldn't happen today she would be screaming for help within moments let alone taking off with the stranger. Maybe things were different in 1930's Italy, but you just know that regardless of the bits in between Freddie is destined to find Jack eventually - more than a bit predictable!

The story does open up contemplation of how our actions and words can, like ripples in a pool, reach out to touch many other people and have catastrophic consequences if we do not think before we act.

I enjoyed this book very much, her best book ever, probably not but still worth reading - nice warm fire, cup of hot chocolate, curtains drawn aaahhhh, perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy all Judith Lennox books and this was no exception. I always want to read another when I've finished. Think I've read them all now though.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unusual War Time Story., 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Paperback)
Really enjoyed reading this book, quite sad but very much a page turner. The story of two sisters and the way their lives follow different paths before, during and after WW2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end !, 16 Dec 2013
Sally French (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Paperback)
Loved this book. First time I had read a book written by Judith Lennox. Easy to read, the characters became friends about whom you care. Sad when it ended,but I have two new books to take me over the Christmas holiday ! There is a waiting list for this book among my family !

5.0 out of 5 stars Catching the Tide, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Kindle Edition)
Just a lovely and interesting story and say to read I would recommend it to others as it was recommended to me. Why do I have to put a headline?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Kindle Edition)
Liked this book a lot. It is the first of hers I have read but I will certainly be trying a few more. Well researched story, I like my stories with some historical interst. Very interesting characters, especially Tessa. I thought the story was a bit rushed at the end, like she was trying to meet a deadline which is why I have only given it 4 stars, but still an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars catching the tide, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Catching the Tide (Paperback)
Brilliant book. Really enjoy reading Judith lennox. does not focus on one character and not always the end that you would expect.

Catching the Tide
Catching the Tide by Judith Lennox (Paperback - 29 Sep 2011)