5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this book!
Published on 21 Jun 2009 by John Haslett

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as expected
Published on 29 Oct 2010 by J. Thursby

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this book!, 21 Jun 2009
John Haslett (Portishead, North Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm a great fan of Jecks and this set of books, see The Templar, The Queen and Her Lover as well, is set in France and, in my view, is all the better for being taken out of Devon for a while. Edward the 2nd and Isabel of France are in vogue at the moment, Paul Doherty's 'Mathilde of Westminster' series covers the same period and much of the same action and is as superb as Jecks. If any of you want to find out how 'justice' finallt catches up with Hugh Despenser the younger just Google him - absolute swine he may have been but I'm not sure anyone deserves that kind of death! Suffice to say that Baldwin and Puttock do well to be cautious about offending him. Fast pace, intricate plot, well drawn characters and good period feel make this a must for all fans of this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Oct 2013
Enjoyed the way 'view' of Walter running for his life. It was lovely to read something of the possible happenings in France. The fact that the story is based on fact and elaborated makese them enjoyable and you can picture these things happening. Definately helps to read the stories in the correct order.

5.0 out of 5 stars king of thieves, 5 July 2012
I have read quite a lot of michael jecks books but this one kept you guessing until the very end.With roger mortimer (whom i have read about in IAN MORTIMERS THE GREATEST TRAITOR) creeping about in the alleyways of paris you never know what is going to happen next and it takes sir baldwin ,simon puttock and the hilarious sir richard de welles all their guile to suss it all out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as expected, 29 Oct 2010
J. Thursby (King's Lynn, Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
I've read some of Jecks' books in this series before - but certainly not all of them. I'd taken the book on holiday, thinking that I'd get through it very quickly as I'm a quick reader and those other books of his that I've read haven't taken me long to finish - but this one was an exception, despite the fact that I had plenty of time to read. The story seemed to take ages before the two crime fighters - Simon and Sir Baldwin - got involved, so much so that I was wondering if they ever would. However, I would say to anyone who hasn't read the book that what I've written here is just my opinion and not necessarily one shared by others. The only way to find out whether or not you like this particular book by Jecks is to read it yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Only Get Better, 3 Sep 2009
Bookaholic "prussblue" (St. Louis area, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Jecks continues to astonish me in adherence to historical accuracy but also in his ability to write a tale so well. I only began reading Jecks a few years back and had to find the early works and read them sequentially to best appreciate them although that might not be necessary for all readers (but you are missing something if you don't read the early works). In doing so, I also found that instead of fluctuating in quality as some authors are prone to do, he just seems to get better over time. I don't offer a synopsis as that is out there already for the reader but rather that I am selective in my authors in this genre (or any other to include non-fiction and academic reading). Jecks continues to provide worthwhile reading and somehow just "improves the product." I sincerely hope that this series continues as it offers pleasurable reading to not a few of us. Granted, the subject matter sometimes is a bit gruesome, or just not pleasant. But, history and historical fiction play in the truth that life is not always pleasant. I mention that as some readers take offense at such "unpleasantness" yet the characters show exceptional courage in the face of trial and tribulation. I should think that a good example rather than sticking one's head in the sand and making believe that life then and now is not always ... smooth and without rough edges.

5.0 out of 5 stars The King of thieves, 15 Mar 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, Baldwin and Simon are sent to France to guard the newly created Duke of Aquitaine who is to swear fealty to King Charles IV his Uncle. Bishop Stapledon is to go to he has the power to grant Queen Isabella funds but only if she returns to England which she refuses to do.
It also seems that several of the knights chosen by King Edward for their loyalty to him are becoming closer to Queen Isabella and are changing their loyalty to her, Baldwin is sounded out but refuses to change his loyalty to King Edward.
While they are there several murders take place two in the Kings palace and Bishop Walter is blamed, Baldwin and Simon must solve the crimes in order to protect the Bishop.
I can not praise Michael Jecks writing highly enough his books always keep me guessing right to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sep 2014
All the series

2.0 out of 5 stars the king of thieves, 15 Jan 2012
i bought this book for christmas for my 15 year old son because he needed a new series of books to read but he is finding it rather hard goin and boring in his own words maybe it is too old for him .i have asked him to give it a bit longer and it may get better.

The King of Thieves (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline))
The King of Thieves (Knights Templar Mysteries (Headline)) by Michael Jecks (Hardcover - 13 Nov 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01