5.0 out of 5 stars So good
One of my fav authors so decided to splash out and down load for holiday read
Started before holiday and nearly finished before got there !
Funny witty light hearted - what more can you want on holiday
Published 14 months ago by Carol Nicoll

2.0 out of 5 stars WH....where have you gone?
Published on 18 Aug 2011 by Best Crime Books

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars WH....where have you gone?, 18 Aug 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Marrying Up (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading Wendy Holden since around 2002 and in the early days absolutely devoured her books and really enjoyed them. Her last book entitled Gallery Girl was quite frankly not that much cop and I finished it feeling disappointed and a little let down. Where had Wendy's brilliant stories gone? I figured that every author must write a bad book at some point and that was hers. Sadly, I was wrong, very wrong.

This latest book is even worse! I very rarely dislike books this much but it was like reading a book written by a completely different author. When I first started reading I had high hopes as we were introduced to Polly who was studying archaeology and happened to have a chance encounter with the handsome Max who is studying to become a vet. We also met Alexa who is a scheming and downright awful girl who wanted nothing more than a rich man in her life. However, after the first few chapters things wend rapidly downhill.

I understand that an element of chick lit books is the happy endings and romance, but this book went over and above what is needed! The `fairytale' element of this is more set to young girls who dream of being a princess. To be frank, once the story got going everything was one big romantic cliché, with impossible and improbable situations occurring in every other chapter.

The further into the book I got, the harder I found it to read. I desperately wanted to enjoy this book but everything about it screamed No at me. Sadly, Wendy Holden's writing is still as brilliant as ever, but I think the storylines themselves are just getting worse. She still manages to create characters you can love or loathe, and the writing certainly flows well; but that's where it ends.

I feel saddened to not be able to recommend this and sincerely hope that Wendy Holden comes back next year with a story that will blow me away and remind me why I am a follower of her books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritatingly badly written and researched, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Marrying Up (Paperback)
I have read and enjoyed Wendy Holden's fluffy chicklit before and was not under any illusions that this would be great literature. I did enjoy the story which made it all the more irritating when I came across the frequent clunking phrases that you had to read twice to realise that Holden was using a word incorrectly and work our what she actually meant. There were also the research inaccuracies - the gender of the German word Schloss is neuter, but not in this book. Finally the number of stretches of the imagination we are.expected to make - Alexa has no money yet still manages to buy champagne, shoes, dresses and plane tickets we keep being told she can't afford them and yet she does. We also have to believe not only that there is a kingdom just along from Monaco that we've never heard of but that its inhabitants helpfully speak English... Buy this book if you want to read a totally unbelievable but quite readable story but be prepared for it to annoy you!

1.0 out of 5 stars dire, dismal, dreadful, disappointing,, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Marrying Up (Paperback)
I have every one of Wendy Holden's previous books and received Marrying Up this Christmas. The first two chapters were average, but sometimes it takes a while to get into the story, so I persevered. Unfortunately, the story did not improve, in fact it went rapidly downhill with stupid names like Florence Trevorigus-Whyske-Cleethorpe, Stonker, Mrs Butts Upward, Ratty and Moley Huddersfield. I had to double check that it was actually written by Wendy Holden (I'm still not totally convinced she has written it"). I have been an avid reader since the age of about 15 and am almost 55, and I can count on one hand the number of books I have not finished, somehow I feel that Marrying Up will be one of those books. Perhaps she should have called this one "Giving Up".

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish book, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: Marrying Up (Paperback)
Bought this because previous books by this author were good. This book is utter rubbish and not worth the money. Author has clearly run out of ideas.

2.0 out of 5 stars It promised so much..., 20 May 2012
This review is from: Marrying Up (Paperback)
I bought this novel as a bit of light relief after I had finished my degree in English. Years of reading serious literature had taken their toll and chick lit most welcome. The blurb promised an entertaining and easy read...however once I got into the plot of the novel it was anything but.

The plot becomes over complicated with ridiculous names of characters and quite frankly awful characterisation. I got so bored with stupid references to the upper classes and the boring moral dilemma of Max that by page 175 I gave up on the novel and threw in the towel!

Please don't waste your money!

2.0 out of 5 stars A bad fairytale, 26 July 2011
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Marrying Up (Kindle Edition)
I really like Wendy Holden's books and thought the synopsis of this one sounded great.

I was sadly disappointed. It starts very oddly - as a reader you have no idea where you are or what is going on. The story bounced from one drama to another but nothing ever properly 'linked'. Nothing was fully developed either.

In the story you hear from different characters points of view and they were so tediously linked it became a farce. It was like a really badly written fairytale. I didn't care about any of the characters either (I didn't have time to as I didn't know enough about them) which didn't help this. Alexa was by far the worst - her behaviour was outrageous and she got all she deserved.

The main story about Max and Polly also fizzled out to nothing - it was almost like the author couldn't be bothered.

A real disappointment which I wish I hadn't wasted my money on. Don't waste yours either!

2.0 out of 5 stars way too fluffy, 4 Aug 2011
elsie purdon "reads too much" (dorset uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Marrying Up (Paperback)
Wendy Holden's latest novel is like eating candyfloss, something I don't want to do any more.

The story, such as it is,has two main characters, Alexa who wants to bag a rich husband and Polly an archeologist who falls in love with Max the vet who promptly disappears back to Sedona. Which is a made up kingdom near Italy. Max is the crown prince and the King wants publicity for his land and is advised a royal wedding will be the way to go. There are some amusing sentences, but nothing really funny developed.

I read this cos I am sure I enjoyed her earlier books and I wanted something easy to read when I can't sleep.
This book is so lightweight I could have read it while I was asleep!

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly story, wet characters, teenage fiction style., 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Marrying Up (Paperback)
I have read all Wendy's books, some are much more fun than others, but generally they have gone down since the first three. This one however is just so ridiculous, much shorter than others too, that I think it was a case of her publishers getting her to rush out another book just for the sake of it.
Written as though it were for the teenage fiction market, I can't even be bothered to give a synopsis of the story and characters - as another reviewer already said, the Disneyland setting of a fictional "kingdom" says it all really. Totally unbelievable Royals, a truly wet heroine and an extremely silly and very rushed plot.
Read other reviews if you want to know a bit about the story, my advice is to not waste money buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars frothy nonsense, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Marrying Up (Kindle Edition)
as might be expected from Wendy Holden this is a load of frothy easy to read nonsense but it is none the worse for that as, within its genre, it is fairly funny and well-written

4.0 out of 5 stars Typically holden, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Marrying Up (Kindle Edition)
A typically we'll written Wendy Holden story. Perfect for holiday reading or if you don't want anything you have to think too hard about

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Marrying Up
Marrying Up by Wendy Holden (Paperback - 15 Sep 2011)
5.24