5.0 out of 5 stars Never Judge a Book by Its Cover, 15 Oct 1998
By A Customer
Because I am a male, I tend to shy away from what I call the 'girlfriend' genre of novels, books by women about a group of fictional women, written for a female audience. Truth be known, I would have never bought this book were it not for the fact that good literature is hard, very hard to come by in Japan. Ms. Lipman gave me a pleasant surprise. Her book was a fast, easy read, and presented me with a dashing, clever female character that I not only fell in love with, I probably would have married her if I got the chance. Ms. Lipman has created a work of art, a truly wry and insightful look at being young, single and a bit carefree and sassy in a small town. This book had excellent characterizations, good plot development, fast, enjoyable dialogue, and an unstoppable momentum. I must confess- I LOVED IT! OK, I have learned my lesson. I will never judge a book by its cover ever again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Contemporary Novel of Manners, 3 Jun 1998
By A Customer
What happens when three "townies" return to a college town to open trendy stores, is the subject of "The Way Men Act". It's a compelling and humorous look at the miscommunication that occurs between the sexes. Best of all are the discussions of romance between mother and daughter. It's the mother's romance being discussed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frighteningly true to life!, 12 Mar 1999
By A Customer
She's a chronic complainer, completely self engrossed, vindictive and adorable. Melinda LeBlanc is my new hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like making a bunch of new friends, 30 July 1997
By A Customer
I sped right through this book and I'm terrible about finishing books. I was kinda sad when it was over -- you really get to know the characters. This was the first Elinor Lipman book I had read and I immediately went out and got the rest of her books. Right now I'm reading "Isabel's Bed'' and so far it's great. Can't wait for the new book!

5.0 out of 5 stars It describes my life!, 13 Feb 1997
By A Customer
One of the best books I have ever read - describes the story of my life better than I could ever have! From bad relationships to bad "career" moves, Melinda returns to her hometown to find out that the way she thought things were are not the way they really are. A very funny, delightful look at "going home" again.

5.0 out of 5 stars light hearted literature to lift the heart!!, 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Way Men Act (Paperback)
Elinor Lipman does not dissappoint. If you like the humour of "Friends", "King of Queens", "Golden Girls", "Different Strokes" etc, you'll LOL on reading this author. In parts, her writing can be as beneficial as taking Prozac!

5.0 out of 5 stars My first book by Elinor had me reading more..., 14 July 1999
By A Customer
It was really a very simple book and story to read...and VERY enjoyable. Before this I didn't like reading. But while shopping for a friend at a bookstore I started to read a bit of this book and was so drawn into it, I read ten pages in the store and knew I had to finish it. Since then I read a few more of her books and was on-line right now to see if she had any new ones out. I can't wait to read Ladies' Man.

The Way Men Act
The Way Men Act by Elinor Lipman (Paperback - 6 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01