4.0 out of 5 stars Foxtrot Oscar
Charlie Owen has managed to do the 'difficult second book' with ease. In Horses Arse he introduced us to Psycho, The Brothers and the rest but in FO he takes the time to show us their full depth, whilst still maintaining the fast pace. You even start to actually like and feel for the characters, despite their dubious tactics.

Charlie has chosen a great setting...
Published on 16 Dec 2007 by Glenny Boy

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
This book was recomended to me but i have to say i was disappointed. Did not find it as funny as I thought it would be!
Published 22 months ago by jaws

4.0 out of 5 stars Foxtrot Oscar, 16 Dec 2007
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)

Charlie has chosen a great setting for the book and the backdrop of the hot summer really adds to the madness. If you liked HA then you're going to love this and if you if you weren't sure then give this a go anyway, because it's better. All I can say is hurry up and write the third book Charlie!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it ok for grown men to cry in public?, 24 Dec 2007
Andrew Williams (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
It is now. This book will make a jibbering wreck out of anybody with a sense of humour. Within minutes of starting it, I was laughing out loud and wiping the tears from my eyes on a packed commuter train. My face ached because of the constant silly grin on it. Young women sitting near me were smiling at me, (for the first time in years) during my very public display of uncontrolled hilarity. Foxtrot Oscar picks up perfectly where Horses Arse ended, and Charlie Owen's expertise as a story teller has gone from strength to strength, as the story unfolds and a compelling plot develops. This book is an absolute page turner that I only unwillingly put down when the train driver threatened to leave me in the sidings overnight. Book 3 can't come soon enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Foxtrot Oscar' is absolutely 'Foxtrot Echo' !, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
I finished this book after two days and having enjoyed Horses Arse immensly I was in no way disappointed with the sequel.Charlie has developed the various characters and Foxtrot Oscar expertly continues the story of policing Hatfield (sorry, Handstead) in the late 70's. As I have said previously, the characters are entirely believable and I have no doubt that is because they actually existed. (I certainly know who 'Alfie' is!) Foxtrot Oscar is an excellent read and although absolutely hilarious in parts this is countered by a darkness and intensity that sends a shiver down the spine. Policing was like that,Police bars were like Charlie describes and the apprehension felt by officers prior to a busy night shift on a hot,sticky night is more than adequately captured within Charlie's words. Buy and read this book and like me you will be looking forward to December when the third book in the serise, Bravo Jubilee is published. Thanks Charlie,you have done it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB!, 4 Mar 2008
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
To follow a funny book with an even funnier one shows a great talent for writing. Charlie Owen does this easily with this book. Although he states that it is a work of fiction, anyone who has ever worked in the Police Service will know otherwise and that this is a lot more than just a fairy story. I also believe that I know which character the author was. A brilliant book. Here's looking forward to the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Title too by the way, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
The title is a poignant introduction to the style of the book, mimicking the behaviour and skulduggery of the Handstead police force. The characters make this book, and my favourite scene has to be the introduction to Alfie. Like others, this book had me laughing out loud. I borrowed this copy and thus have read it before Horses Arse, which I am now looking forward to.

I gave it a 4 and not a 5 for the simple reason that there isn't one compelling plotline, and a few too many characters. There are many sub plots and stories, all of which are good mind, but I like to have one bigger plot encompassing these more. Also there are a lot of characters and I found myself getting confused in who was who at times.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it wholeheartedly as a crime caper with a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foxtrot Oscar - A Review, 3 Sep 2009
sb (Lancaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
The story picks up from where Horses Arse ends, back in the wilds of Handstead New Town amongst an unruly, lawless and violent crowd. The locals are quite a handful too!

Combining a gritty crime plot interwoven with moments of great hilarity, the book is very easy to finish for the fact that it's hard to put down, the author's pacing is superb. To summarise the plot outline, the Handstead Mafia are in a transitional period after seeing their bosses get put inside and things are spiced up by the influence of a Turkish 'business' man with leadership ideas of his own. As a result, there are a few bodies, a stalling getaway car, and a Reliant Robin that ends up on its roof most nights.

Fans of the first book by the author won't be disappointed, five stars out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughing out loud, 2 April 2008
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
Foxtrot Oscar recently kept me company on the long haul from Heathrow to Melbourne and it was unfortunate that my first ever laugh-out-loud from a book occured on a packed 747. This is a testament to the hilarity of the book that Charlie has managed to write on the heels of the equally great Horse's Arse.

The characters have now grown and so too has Charlie Owen's writing as this time round we are taken deeper into the wonderful world of violent Manc Police.

Not bad for a ex-copper, can't wait for the end!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 5 Jun 2008
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
Picked up this book as the title and synopsis caught my eye in the local ASDA. Read it in 3 days flat. As other reviewers have said it's laugh out loud funny, very much in the same way as I found Trainspotting laugh out loud funny. It doesn't have a lot of 70's nostalgia, the story in places is a little disjointed but this is more than made up for by the characters and the circumstances they find themselves in throughout the book.

I am now going to go back and read Horses Arse. Wish I'd found it first.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOT ON!, 9 Jun 2008
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
AS A RETIRED SOUTH WALES COPPER I PICKED UP HA THINKING IT TO BE ANOTHER BORING 'LIFE IN THE DAY' ETC. HOW WRONG I WAS. WHILST I DID NOT ENCOUNTER EVERY SITUATION OR CHARACTER IN THE BOOK, I CAN CERTAINLY IDENTIFY WITH A GREAT MANY! READ THE BOOK IN A FEW DAYS THEN STARTED ON FOXTROT OSCAR. AGAIN ANOTHER BRILLIANTLY FUNNY READ. ONLY ANOTHER OFFICER WILL REALISE HOW CLOSE TO THE TRUTH CHARLIE IS......WELL DONE. NUMBER THREE PLEASE ASAP!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 27 July 2008
This review is from: Foxtrot Oscar (Paperback)
Foxtrot Oscar is equally as good but not better than Horse's Arse.It has the same blend of violence and humour.The central story of a turkish gangster teaming up with the park royal mafia is padded out with a few anecdotal tales of Handsteads finest.I'm starting to get a real feel for some of the characters and I'm really looking forward part three in the series.

Foxtrot Oscar
Foxtrot Oscar by Charlie Owen (Paperback - 1 May 2008)