Format: PaperbackChange

on 20 August 2011
This was also my first Louise Bagshawe book, I'm more into Russian literature than chick lit, but you know, Tolstoy didn't get where he did without a few designer breeches - and Dostoievsky wouldn't have got anywhere, without a pair of trendy braces and a dab of carbolic behind the ears.

Having witnessed Louise as a forthright Tory MP investigating phone hacking, asking a bigger fish than any in this book, Rupert Murdoch, if he'd resign, I looked in vain for depth, substance and meaning; Destiny merely provides a proliferation of designer labels, so wonderful, they can only safely be worn by the fictionally airbrushed Kate Fox, whose breasts and buttocks are so firm Michelin should research them, with a view to improving the formula for pneumatic tyres.

Our heroine-of-sorts, rails against body fascism in the latter part of the book, placing a nude size 14 or 16 on the cover of a fashion mag to show what "real" women look like; but it's at the heart of this novel, together with the notion that rich men only want designer wives, inhabitting designer labels, providing designer sex.

The journey Kate takes from doting daughter of a hard working mother, through friendship with the only sympathetic character in the book, Emily, founder of Lucky magazine, to the pinnacle of her gold-digging success when she marries one-dimensional Marcus Broder, is only enlightening when she, herself, sees the light. Sadly it's only with a 20 watt bulb.

Fair enough, it is a good holiday read, apart from banal assumptions about human nature and too many rhetorical questions, Right? I enjoyed the ending, felt I did get to know a little about Ms Bagshawe as well as her characters. She writes fluently, has a flair for plot and an eye for glamour. But life should be more than dog eat dog, ambition can be tempered with compassion, better to stroke the dog than stoke the shallow egos in this book.

I didn't like the crass way in which her so-called liberal mag stuffed a Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor, exposing his prediliction for massage parlours. What consenting adults do in private, is a matter for them. Now there's a liberal sentiment! What about his wife, kids, parents - or perhaps that will be the subject of her next novel. The now defunct News of the World describes the book as "More than addictive...the perfect thing to get you over the end-of-summer blues". Former journalists probably need a couple of stiff drinks, too, their come-uppance was even more profound than Broder's!

I'll read another of your's, Louise. I don't support your politics, but admire your style. But do try to find a little bit of Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King to inspire us, not just bimbos in gladrags.
on 30 December 2015
After reading and enjoying Sparkles by Louise Bagshawe, I decided to pick up another of her books. I was quite disappointed with this one - it seemed rather flat and trashy in comparison with the glamour and excitement of Sparkles.

I have remarked before on Louise Bagshawe's descriptive writing whereby she ensures that the reader knows what each character is wearing, both clothing and makeup. Destiny seemed to go a little bit too far, in my opinion. I'm all for reading that somebody is wearing a Chanel suit but stating that your main character is wearing Sure Ultra Dry anti-perspirant made me feel like I was being hit with subliminal advertising.

Kate is a likeable character, even though she set out with the purpose of snaring herself a rich husband. She soon finds out that money can't buy happiness and leaves her husband. It's not long before she truly falls in love with another rich guy, although will he see past her gold-digger label?

It wasn't a bad little story, although very predictable and far too many mentions of what a fabulous ass some people have. To the point where I was thinking, oh we haven't read about her amazing ass in this chapter yet...oh there it is.

This isn't one I would recommend, so I'm glad it was loaned rather than bought. Now I'm off to buy me some Sure Ultra Dry...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 April 2011
I only recently started reading Louise Bagshawe. I know that she has written for many years but have not read any of her earlier books. The most recent book I read was named Desire and had a suspiciously similar cover to this one. I enjoyed the last one and felt that it was chick lit with an element of `thriller' thrown in for good measure. I felt that this book was firmly rooted back to the solely chick lit genre which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The first thing that struck me in the first half of the book was how much I disliked the main character Kate Fox. As a main character I almost expect to instantly like them and this was not the case with this book. Although I didn't warm to her the story was easy to absorb yourself in. Kate is a typical money-grabbing woman. The only difference with her to other stereo-typical gold-diggers was that she seemed to be a very independent and intelligent woman. It kind of made me wonder why she was choosing this path for her life.

Sure enough it becomes apparent that this life is not for her but to extract herself from it means a long and dirty fight with her husband Marcus Broder. Broder was a despicable character that had wealth and power and absolutely zero respect for women. The second half of the book we see Kate struggle with her decisions and then a major event impacts her life in a way that she is unsure how to deal with.

This particular event is one that I didn't see coming so adds to the element of surprise which is a good thing. I can't say that this book throws up anything particularly new in this genre (which is very hard to do anyway) but Bagshawe has created characters that you find easy to get to know which is always a plus for me. The story is paced pretty well and towards the latter part of the book it picks up pace.

The ending was a little predictable but written well and I enjoyed it. The one thing that threw me a little bit was the amount of sex in the book. Don't get me wrong you see it countless times in this genre and it is par for the course, but I just don't remember Louise Bagshawe writing this raunchily in the last book. If you are a little prudish then maybe this isn't for you. However, this book was pretty readable but with the amount of competition out there, I'm not sure its at the top of the selections!
22 comments9 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2015
I liked the bad girl gone good theme but I've read better by louise bagshawe. This had a rushed feel to it, for example, Kate was instantly unhappy in the marriage she worked all her life for and got over her life-long friends death in a nano-second.
One irritation with most of LBs novels is the sex scenes. All these supposed strong, feisty women end up "sobbing with desire" or "pleading to be taken" I find those scenes quite cringe worthy and tend to just skim over them.
I do think this book had the right mix to be great but would have preferred she spent actual time on it rather than the rush job she appears to have given it.
on 29 August 2012
Slapdash effort that reads like it's written by a lightweight who's in a hurry to be doing something else.
Can't believe this got published.
on 27 November 2011
I LOVE Louise Bagshawe books and have read them for many years, however, I was disappointed with this one.
It has all the standard Bagshawe hallmarks-America, adversity, rich men, women taking control- but it seemed to miss a trick.

The last few books have been excellent but this smacked of her earlier works where her style had not been polished. To me it felt very much like a rehashed early book with a few modern refernces thrown in.
on 26 April 2012
I have been a Louise Bagshaw fan ever since I read my first book. Sorry to say I was rather disappointed with Destiny. For me the plot was too similar to A KEPT WOMAN. I felt I had already read the book.
I was unimpressed with the fashion descriptions on almost every outfit that was worn by the characters.
I read the sample on my Kindle and was hooked, so I bought the paperback book as my daughter is a fan too, sad to say it didnt hold my interest after the next couple of chapters.
Maybe I am getting too old to read Ms Bagshaw now. Shame
on 14 July 2011
I'm a third of the way through this book and I'm already irritated by it. Bagshawe shows again her penchant for not proof reading her books (as in Glamour, where the book mentioned using Ebay years before it was invented). Among the multiple errors in this book are: on p100 Marcus Broder clearly states that Kate earns 40,000 a year at Cutie, yet after they divorce on p145 Emily makes it clear that "even though it's not a big glossy like [Kate was] used to" they can still pay her 40,000 dollars. Kate is shown to be disappointed and it is said that "Forty thousand is a pay cut, even from what she was getting at Cutie". This is a best selling novel with a wide distribution, how can they ignore such glaring errors in consistancy? It's stupid and unrealistic. We then have such gems as "she was in the Gap and Emporio Armani, buying all the basics of a work wardrobe" (p 147). This is after she divorces her rich guy and is plumbing the depths of poverty by the way. So apparently Emporio Armani, where jackets start at 600 pounds, and GAP, our trusty high street retailer, are now the same thing, and "basic" at that. I think Louise Bagshawe needs to stop spending her paycheck on Kiehl's, and start spending it on a decent researcher who can tell her what brands are up to date and how much they cost, not to mention an editor who actually edits out glaring errors.
22 comments17 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2011
Kate Fox is a gold-digger. She doesn't want to have a career, she doesn't want to earn her own money, Kate wants to marry a rich man and be looked after. After months of searching for the man with just enough money for her - trust fund babies just won't do it - she's immediately enticed when Marcus Broder shows interest. After a whirlwind romance, and after Kate proves she's worthy of being Mrs Broder, they marry, but for Kate marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be, and she splits. Marcus isn't happy, Kate decides she wants to have a career after all, and she falls in love again, not that the man she falls in love with cares, because he thinks she's nothing more than a gold-digger (which she is/was). With the greatest of respect, that's not the best start to any novel. As much as I understand Kate's desire to be married rich, I find it repulsive at the same time. I'm no raging feminist, but to go out hunting for a rich man, with the intent of marrying the richest one available whether you love him or not makes me want to weep.

Even more so than that, I wasn't entirely sure what the main plot of the novel was. It wasn't that Kate is/was a gold-digger, nor was it that she was trying to forge her way into a career in magazines or that she was trying to prove to a man she wasn't a gold-digger anymore. It seemed to be a mish-mash of all three culminating in a plot that seemed a bit thin on the ground quite frankly. Kate marries Marcus, but is then surprised when her days are filled with air-head-like tasks. What did she expect? She married for that exact reason, but got sick of it pretty quickly. I just found it tiresome. She married for money and then got offended because Marcus tried to mould her into something she didn't want to be. I found that I just didn't care and I felt, in some ways, Kate deserved everything she got. The book just seemed to flounder, with nothing anchoring it down and not even the twist in the middle forcing Kate to make some tough decisions made it any better.

I found it very difficult to warm to any of the characters. I couldn't take to Kate for very obvious reasons that I've explained above. I couldn't care less if she realised gold-digging was wrong, or if she made it right in the end, because she did it in the first place. I feel like I'm preaching, and forgive me if I am, but it rubbed me up the wrong way and it's not something I will ever agree with. The men in the novel were, it has to be said, deplorable. Marcus was just plain horrible, there are no words to describe just how horrible I found him. As for David Abrahms, I couldn't take to him either. The only character I even remotely cared about was Emily, Kate's best friend, she was wonderful, and she was the only character that interested me so I was gutted with what happened.

Destiny is set in America, in New York, in fact and for once, it stays there for the duration of the novel. Usually Bagshawe novels flit from country to country (adding a lot of excitement into the mix). Some of the terms used in the novel jar a bit because Louise is a Brit writing as an American and there's a lot of "chicks" and "dig"-ging going on which I must admit, seemed wholly out of place. There's something very 90s about people saying they "dig" each other. I don't even think people say that these days, except perhaps American teenagers. I also got really tired of hearing about Kate's glorious body. At least every five pages we heard about how good her butt was or her boobs and after the first fifty times, I was like "OK, we know, she has a fantastic body. Let's move it along now." It truly felt as if I was being smacked over the head constantly with just how stunning Kate was, but the fact is I already knew that. Duh. Of course she's stunning, so we don't need to constantly shoved into our faces. So this book didn't really work for me. At all. The plot bored me, the writing was very 90s, and the constant references to Kate's body drove me up the wall. But most of all, I just didn't like Kate period and that's a bad bad thing because if you don't like the main character, what hope do you have? The answer is, very little.
on 12 February 2015
Really enjoyed the book. Easy read for when you don't want anything too deep. Probably one of my favourites of her books. Find the 'flared arse and pert t...' description a bit tiring as it is the same words over and over, but that's my opinion. Just enjoy the books more for the characters, destination, riches and storylines, knowing it will all be good in the end. Everyone who is bad loses and the good win and learn all along the way! Fun, guilty pleasure books.