on 15 August 2007
I agree with many reviewers that Patterson is churning out many books assisted by Ghost writers, but what the heck! What we get is page turning tabloid/ candyfloss/ armchair thrillers..and to me that is the commercial types of reads that we want sometimes. The Quickie falls straight into this category. It's not as thrilling or as clever with twists like Deaver/Baldacci or Coben, but it's a tight story, if somewhat implausible (yes- fiction), and a whole lot of fun to read and enjoy.
on 1 October 2007
The phrase above, uttered by the main character, is exactly what I was thinking while reading this novel. It is fine to have a mystery with plenty of twists and turns, and surprises popping up and catching the reader off guard. But in this case I think that the authors just put together a storyline that lacks inherent logic and therefore damages the overall quality of the story. It kind of reminded me of "Beach Road", a book that made me feel cheated by the end of it.

The story has to do with a marriage that is falling apart and the consequences of Lauren, the wife and main character, trying to get even by having an affair of her own. This one-night-stand ends up with a dead body and a whole array of repercussions that last throughout the novel. Here is also where the plot starts to go astray, since the decisions made by the main character are unreal, and the way in which many other characters get fooled is laughable. One question that came to my mind while reading this book was: Is it logical to have a character that always makes the wrong decision?

Besides the aforementioned issues with the plot, the fact that most characters are morally flawed may be a turn off for some people. It does not bother me all that much, but I know that some readers will find this unacceptable. On the plus side, if you are looking for a thrill, and do not care all that much about the internal logic of some of the leaps in the plot, this is a novel that will satisfy you.
on 19 July 2007
I read just about all of Patterson's books and have enjoyed most of them. This book, although a page turner, was not at all believable. It kept me interested, but I found myself rolling my eyes too many times. The characters are cardboard and the story line is a bit out there. If you want an entertaining, no brainer, summer read, this will suffice, but just barely.
on 16 October 2007
This truly cannot have been written by Mr Patterson, but if.. then he must have thought "I have a couple of hours to spare think I might just write a quick book" Worst book to date no details to any of the characters, should I be asked to decribe the main character I couldn't tell you her age height hair colour etc, she was a great mystery to me!! she thought and acted like a man, with the most unbelievable story to date, the mere fact she make no reference to the Murder... which I cannot go into without spoiling the story is so silly. Thanks god I had this on loan from the library and not paid good money for it. So Mr Patterson stop insulting us local readers and get your act together, think of the story not the money
on 13 August 2007
I have loved James Patterson's books and have read them all. I even quite liked the Maximum Ride series - but this book pushes the bounds of fantasy further than that one.
Ludicrous plot turns, unreal characters with no substance,thin story and such a fast pace that is lacking in any depth of anything makes it a really disappointing read.
It seems to me that the author is just churning out stuff as fast as possible at the moment and it really shows in this book. Go back to what you do best Mr Patterson, Alex Cross novels written on your own.
VINE VOICEon 12 July 2007
Earlier this year came the first book written by the team of bestselling authors James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge with the excellent hostage thriller "Step on a Crack". Now, only a few months later, they have came back with their second novel, 'The Quickie'. I've read pretty much all of Patterson's other work and this is definitely one of his best.

Without giving too much away, the story begins when Lauren Stillwell sees her husband going to a hotel with another woman, so she decides to have an affair of her own with a work colleague. But her revenge goes terribly wrong when her husband arrives and murders the man she was with.

After the absolutely terrible "The 6th Target", Patterson's last book, I was a little cautious about trying out his next book but after reading it I was so glad I did. I finished it after just over 4 hours and I literally couldn't put it down. The story has some shocking twists from the word go and is one of the most suspense-filled books I have ever read. The short chapters and fast dialogue keeps the story flowing quickly and the tension high, with a real "how the hell is she going to get out of this one?!" feel the whole way through. Then there's such an unpredictable twist at the end, I actually think I said "wow!" out loud!

I can't recommend this book highly enough to any fan of the genre or anyone looking for a fast-paced and exciting read. Don't be put off by the steamy looking cover (guys) or the dodgy title, this is one of the best thrillers of the year.
on 17 October 2007
The fast-paced writing style is all James Patterson, however the plot is so far-fetched after 30 pages or so all belief in the characters is suspended. Really disappointing, try something else!
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2007
I bought this as "Step on a Crack" was a great thriller. This work falls really short in that the characters and the plot are both totally unbelievable. As previous reviewers have stated, this is OK if you want an entertaining read that doesn't involve too much concentration.
on 7 January 2008
I was given this book, so dont feel money bound to write a decent review, but had i known what i know now i would have bought the book as it came off the presses.

Truly amazing!! i was gripped from the first page and was making time to read it when i had none. The twists and turns are the mark of a pure genius and i dont know of any other author who could have done it as well.

I have enjoyed JP's work in the past but this book was amazing and has spurred me on to get them all. VERY VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 7 June 2011
I have never read James Patterson before and if this is an example of his better work I think I'll stay clear. I found this entirely predictable with no suspense whatsoever. There was no time taken to go indepth with the characters or build up the suspense or anything, it's as if the author wanted to get through it as quickly as possible. The only reason I bothered to read to the end was because I hate to start a book and not finish it! I'll stick to Lee Child in future - a much better read!