4.0 out of 5 stars Another good Ikman story but......
Published on 9 Jan 2010 by C. P. Levano

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing
Published on 8 April 2010 by Mead reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good Ikman story but......, 9 Jan 2010
C. P. Levano (UK) - See all my reviews
I love Barbara Nadel's Inspector Ikman books - and have read every one - more than once! I eagerly wait for each new one, and can't wait to find out not only what crimes Ikman and his colleagues will become involved with, but also to find out more about the people that I have come to know and love thanks to the author's ability to create such engaging and real characters. Inspector Ikman is at the centre of a very real family, and also a very real assortment of colleagues - each of which have developed and changed as the books progress, and who are part of why these books are so engaging.

I also love Istanbul - a city that has captured my heart - and so I enjoy that the books deal with crimes in and around this unique and evocative city that mixes Europe and Asia, east and west, ancient and modern. This is another reason why these books are unique.

And I guess because of that, this book - while an excellent stand-alone story - was a bit of a disappointment to me. The main character Ikman spends most of his time in London, and as the book is very plot-driven (and excellently so), there is little about the other characters, or indeed about Istanbul - which is for me what makes these books special and different from the other police/crime books.

So in short, for me this was an excellent (and very timely) plot and a good read, but it didn't give me what I want from an Ikman book.

I look forward to the next one - and hope Ikman and his colleagues are firmly back in Istanbul!

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing, 8 April 2010
Good book but I really got into the books because of the writing of Turkey which really showed the writers love of the country and people. But this book I know its only partially based in Turkey but even in the previous book when it was based in Turkey, there wasn't as much atmosphere as previous outings, maybe I'm being picky as the early books were of such a high standard. Sounds like I didn't really enjoy this book but I did, just wished it was more like the early books with the atmosphere etc. Also there seemed to be too much storeline for the book, some parts were only touched on lightly when it would have been good to have seen more detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking Read, 31 Mar 2010
I am one of Barbara Nadel's great fans and she has many.I never had a chance to visit Istanbul till last year yet through the Inspector Ikmen stories felt I knew it well. Barbara's plots are set amidst the twisting streets, markets, seedy little cafes as well as the homes of the rich, the dissolute and simple, ordinary, hard working people. These are places unfrequented by tourists and this is the Istanbul with all it's cultural diversity, beauty and squalor that these stories have introduced to me. Meeting her characters in each of the books is a treat;these are people I have come to love and know,as if they were my own friends and family! Barbara creates her characters with such understanding, empathy and compassion.
In Death by Design, however, Barbara brings her Inspector Ikmen to London for a change. It is a brilliant,thought-provoking plot and one that has stayed in my mind ever since as its theme and the terrible criminal activities it investigates are closer to home and thus more uncomfortable. Crime books are often not regarded in a literary light but to my mind, when well researched and well written, they are records of the times and the problems and fears of those times. For an understanding of the mind of the greedy and rapacious (to whom human lives are as nothing and who will use any means to gain what they want) and the fear,anger and hate that provokes and is provoked by terrorist activity, this book provides a marvellous analysis.
I did miss Istanbul and all the beloved cast of characters one is used to in Barbara's novels but all writers like a change of scenery and even readers need to occasionally abandon their comfort zone and see their favourite character in a new setting and a new light if the characters are to be truly understood.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not believable, 5 Aug 2010
This review is from: Death by Design (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) (Paperback)
I've read two or three Insp Ikmen books before and enjoyed them esp as I really enjoyed visiting Istanbul.

Unfortunately I found myself skipping a lot towards the end. The book was clunky with a plot which felt like the "What shall I have him do now?" approach.

Charcters were cardboard and not very believable. Taking Ikmen out of Istanbul was a bit like taking Rebus out of Edinburgh. He didn't make a very good export!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 15 May 2014
Alice (Guildford, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death by Design (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) (Paperback)
Another brilliant mystery featuring Inspector Ikmen and his team. Barbara Nadel is a favourite author because of her well drawn, vivid characters and plots and mostly set in the fascinating city of Istanbul.

4.0 out of 5 stars Further Istanbul murders, 25 Mar 2013
Enjoyed this but I always enjoy the Istanbul series by Nadal. They are an easy read with good plots but not highbrow literature. She gives an interesting insight into the multiple communities and cultures that make up Istanbul society.

2.0 out of 5 stars Improbable events in London, not Istanbul, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Death by Design (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) (Paperback)
I started to read this book simply because of the picture of Hagia Sophia on the front cover and my enduring interest in Turkey. However the focus of the novel is on London with the anti-hero doing improbable, last-minute feats that are way beyond any real detective. The title is weak and does not convey well the actual subject matter.

The simple prose style quickly made me doubt that there would be any depth to this novel. However the story rollicks along, taking the undemanding reader with it and it's a good read if that's what you want. However, there's certainly nothing new or even interesting about Istanbul.

I probably won't read any more by this author, given the naive storyline and simplistic writing style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 22 Jun 2011
D. A. Post (Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death by Design (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) (Paperback)
As someone who has read all of Nadels previous books, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. After reading some of the reviews here, I was somewhat apprehensive about her taking the main character from Istanbul to London. But it works very well. Although I am a huge lover of Istanbul, I didn't miss the city at all for some strange reason. One of the better installments in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to form, 29 April 2011
M. Parr "music fan" (sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death by Design (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) (Paperback)
Some of Barbara Nadel's recent novels have been rather weak. The Turkey background and the characters have been strong as ever, but the plots have sometimes relied on esoteric events. In this novel however, the action moves to London, and is quite realistic and down-to-earth - the plight of immigrants exploited by people-traffickers. Don't read this book first. Instead get immersed in the Istanbul life of inspector Ikmen and colleagues. After this, I recommend this text, written by someone who knows London as well as Istanbul.

Death by Design (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries)
Death by Design (Inspector Ikmen Mysteries) by Barbara Nadel (Paperback - 8 July 2010)