5.0 out of 5 stars great escapist read
Published on 20 July 2009 by London Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the life I want!
I loved Backpack. In fact I have enjoyed all the Emily Barr books I have read especially Sisterhood but this one is just not as good. I liked Tansy in the first book but she is now a self absorbed, selfish wife and mother. I am not sure any husbands would willingly agree to their wives jumping ship to chase a dream but maybe my marriage is too conventional!
Some of...
Published 22 months ago by Fievans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great escapist read, 20 July 2009
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
I'm quite puzzled by the antipathy of some reviewers - this is another excellent novel from Barr, although I almost didn't read it because of the reviews. Reading the book, I just didn't recognise the description of the writing as lazy - the depictions of Chennai and Pondicherry were nuanced, sensitive and evocative of the experience of a lone female traveller. I don't think it's fair to imply the book fails for not being a complete or wholly accurate picture of all of India, since that isn't at all what it is setting out to do. I'm not normally a fan of travel writing (although I will always make an exception for Geoff Dyer as well as this author) but Barr has certainly not lost her talent for combining cracking plots, credible dialogue and characters who are less than perfect (but all the more believable and entertaining for that) with a sense of location and of the experience of travel which sets her apart. Tansy Evans has developed into the parent and wife you might have expected her to become since Backpack - the evocation of parenthood and the complexities of feeling that parents have about children and parenting reduced me to tears at points, whilst she has retained the spirit and wit that made me laugh out loud when I read Backpack. I thoroughly recommend this book, especially if you've been a fan of any of Barr's other novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily Barr " The life you want", 7 April 2009
E. Choncer (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
Good read from start to finish, Emily Barr has got this special gift that doesn't allow you to put her book away, mixing travel facts with fiction makes you want to choose a destination a become one of her characters.
This time it's India and if you haven't been there after reading this book you will definitely want to go there. It also answers that question many married woman ask themselves- " Am I happy with what I've got?, " have I married the right man?", " where am I in my life...?"
Read it and find for yourself... :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Life You Want, 16 Nov. 2009
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
The Life You Want is Emily Barr's eighth novel and the sequel to her first novel Backpack. Now I haven't actually read Backpack because I just couldn't get into it but I wanted to read The Life You Want so went ahead and read it anyway. We pick up with Tansy a decade after Backpack and find out she's married to Max and has two children Toby and Joe. In her opening sentence she tells us she thinks she's having a breakdown. Not only that but she drinks a lot, forgets to pick up her children and contemplates an affair with her son's teacher. To save herself she heads of to India by herself to help out Elly, an old friend. It seems, though, that Elly isn't all she seemed....

Even though I found Tansy an incredibly irritating character, I loved the book. It wasn't as good as The Sisterhood which was fabulous but it was a really enjoyable read. I loved the descriptions of Indian towns and what it's like to travel in India and, I admit, it sounded nothing like I expected it to sound. Like Tansy when I imagine India I think of poor people begging on the streets the whole time. Emily didn't describe it like that at all.

The book is written in first-person which was enjoyable because we got all of Tansy's thoughts. While I say I found her irritating, at least she admitted she was a rubbish mother and wasn't cut out to live in London forever with a steady job. It still didn't stop me thinking she was selfish though for leaving her husband and children to go off to India. She kept saying she wasn't like her alcoholic mother but she was. I alternated between liking Tansy and wanting to slap her. She was selfish to leave her kids but I liked her honesty. She's definitely an anti-heroine and is like Marmite - you'll either love her or hate her.

As well as Tansy's point-of-view we regularly read blog posts from a woman called Alexia who is adopting a child from India named Sasika. We follow her on her journey, through her blog posts, all the way - even when everything goes topsy-turvy. I would have liked a few more blog posts from Alexia because it was a great part of the story and helped, also, with the main plot of the story. The ending seemed slightly rushed. Apart from that, I really enjoyed the book. I didn't find it as much of a page-turner as The Sisterhood but it was another great read from Emily and I look forward to her next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 7 Sept. 2011
CMP "Chrispy" (Northampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
I thorougly enjoyed Backpack although I was never sure if I warmed to Tansy. However, I could hardly wait to get a copy of the sequel The Life You Want. At first, I felt the same antipathy towards Tansy but on reflection decided that I liked her 'less- than- perfect mother and wife' lifestyle and the temptation she faced with the teacher!!. I loved reading about her travels and India. My heart bled for Alexia and I liked the way the two stories were portrayed. I enjoyed reading about her meeting with Ethan and was glad she sought him out later. I think Emily Barr built up a great picture/ atmosphere of India. I read this book on holiday and when my husband had finished reading all his Financial papers he asked me if he could read one of my books if I had finished them. I 'confessed' that I only had 'chick lit' and gave him 'The Life You want'. He coiuld hardly put it down and then went on to read Emily Barr's 'First wife' which I had finished and was gripped by that too!

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful read...., 20 July 2010
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
I was given this book (looking a little well-read and well-loved!) by a friend and grabbed it, whilst packing, to read on the beach. What a great choice. I was reminded, from time to time, of the book 'The Beach' in which the reader was whisked away to Thailand. I felt I was in India with Tansy. I will not take you through the plot, I will leave that to others. I could see, smell and taste India. A well-written thrill ride. Thought-provoking and gripping from start to finish.

I kicked myself when I realised this is a sequel to 'Backpack' which I have yet to read. However, it is a great 'stand alone' novel. I shall now read 'Backpack' as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Emily Barr is a wonderful writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased that Emily Barr wrote this sequel!, 14 Mar. 2010
Booklover (Newmarket, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
I absolutely love Emily Barr's books, my favourite of which so far is Backpack. I think Tansy Harris is such a well written character, and was so pleased to discover that Emily Barr had decided to write a sequel to Backpack, as that story was left quite open ended. At first I was quite concerned with how much the character of Max had changed since the first book, but the story worked itself out brilliantly in the end. My only slight grievance was that the loose ends regarding Tansy's brother were never tied up. However, all in all this is another great, addictive read, and I would recommend it to anyone. Now what I really want is a sequel to Baggage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read set in India, 25 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
I read this book at around the same time I read another novel set in India - Breathing in Colour by Clare Jay - and I found both excellent in totally different ways. Emily Barr's book has thought-provoking insights into child trafficking and the burden of childlessness, and evokes India in light but sensitive prose. This was the first of her books that I've read and I will definitely buy others of hers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the life I want!, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
Some of the descriptions of India were wonderful and i could almost smell the spices but the storyline bordered on ridiculous at times.

As for the ending........

3.0 out of 5 stars I have enjoyed Emily Barr's stories enormously, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Life You Want (Paperback)
I am sorry to have to write a slightly negative review. I have enjoyed Emily Barr's stories enormously ...this happened to be the last in the pile (I have now read them all ....out of sequential order of publishing, enjoying the variety of plots and exciting developments). This one seemed to drag on with a fairly poor plot and too much tiring detail.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped reading 3/4 of way through!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Life You Want (Kindle Edition)
I love Emily Barr and have read all of her other novels but this one just did not get going and i found tedious - sorry :-( love all of the others though

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Life You Want
The Life You Want by Emily Barr (Paperback - 17 Sept. 2009)