Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 July 2006
Took this on holiday with me, and have to admit there were points when I laughed out loud (much to my embarrassment) on the plane and on the beach. Typical chit lit formulae - girl loses boy, girl focuses on career (or lack of), girl meets new boy, old boy wants girl back etc etc (any more and I will ruin the plots punchline)...

If you have ever worked in London or commuted then it's worth the cover price, as the observations on commuting and meeting decent men ring true. However, please don't expect a literary classic. This is pure light-hearted entertainment - I read it in a day, and the moment I put it down my holiday chum pinched it immediately so she could see what I had been laughing at. (She also read it in a day).

All in all, it's a pleasurable read with an interesting plot - perfect for hols or the tube. The speed-dating scenes are hilarious!
on 8 August 2006
I truly believed in the character and could relate from the start. She was completely accurate in her account of working in an advertising agency, I can vouch for this as I to work in this industry! It was brilliantly written and I laughed out loud lots. A feel good ending to make you believe that everything is right in the world!

Well worth a read!
on 11 July 2006
I'm a bloke. I watch football. I've been known to drink bitter. I definately don't worry about love in the 21st century. So when i was recommended this book about a young lady trying to ballance her love and work lives by a friend, I was obviously sceptical.

So, pleasantly surprised I was to find a story which not only fully captured my attention from start to finish, but one that actually made me think about all that stuff.

This is a lovely, often humorous tale of that hunt for a 'special someone', it's elegantly written and i believed in the characters from the very beginning.

I'd heartily recommend this book to anyone - fello blokes included. Now I'm off to get into a fight to regain some of my manhood.
on 15 July 2007
I sort of happened upon this book whilst on holiday with a friend recently as I'd finished all my reading material by day 4... I was slightly reluctant to read it because I was attempting to get through a list of classics and didn't want to be interrupted, but must say, I'm rather glad I did. There are some fantastic characters - some you want to punch, some you want to be and some you wish you didn't recognise... It's a brilliantly written book with real sparkle, the only regrettable thing being that I tore through it before my holiday had ended. Great stuff - I definately recommend it.
on 26 July 2006
Ok ok, I'll admit it- I was forced to read this book. I'm part of a book club called "The Crazy Monkeys", and since I've been a member of this club, I've had the good fortune to be introduced to some truly incredible books, which I would never have read otherwise. So when Camilla Taylor (a fellow 'crazy monkey') suggested we read "Step on it Cupid", the debut novel from Lorelei Mathias, I inwardly groaned. "Bloody chick lit, it's all the same", I thought.

Oh boy, how wrong I was. This book is amazing! From the first page Ms Mathias lures us into the crazy and neurotic world of Amelie Holden, a sceptical copywriting romantic. We follow Amelie's journey from being given an assignment akin to her worst nightmare- promoting 'Fast Love', a speed dating company. Through the course of the book we watch Amelie change and grow as a person, finding her own personal epiphanies about modern day romance. As readers, we are constantly trying to second guess who Amelie will end up with, out of several possible suitors. Her arrogant boss? Her copywriting partner? An actor she meets while speed dating? I won't give anything away, but I will say that there's a HUGE twist. "The Sixth Sense" eat your heart out. Really, it's that big.

Mathias' talent really lies in her wonderful turn of phrase. She has an effortless way of putting things that make us involuntarily laugh out loud.

Can't wait for the "crazy monkeys" meeting next Tuesday night. We're discussing 'Step on it', and I'm sure it's going to have an amazing reaction from the others as well.

So, thank you Camilla Taylor for introducing us 'monkeys' to a really amazing new talent. Lorelei Mathias- one to watch!
on 31 July 2007
I'm not the biggest fan of chick lit/romantic fiction but when a friend recommended this title to me I thought I'd give it a go. And I absolutely loved it. The characters are totally believable and it's really fun. It has everything you could ask for and more. If you need some light relief this summer or any time then pick this. It is an absorbing and heartwarming novel.
on 31 July 2006
Don't worry if you're a) not a regular devotee of many books with pink covers or b) a man: this one really does deserve your attention.

Lorelei Mathias' prose zips along, with deft and winning phrases catching you at unexpected moments. The big set pieces will be cringingly familiar to anyone who has ever set foot in an ad agency, or been on a date. And there's an unexpected depth and resonance too, with the blossoming of characters who are not ciphers, but warm and rounded in their own right.

Step on it, indeed: hurry up and put it in your basket.
on 15 July 2007
when I first started reading this book I wasn't impressed. I read it and it bored me. It kept me entertained whilst I waited for my train. However as I read more into this I got really gripped into this book and discovered I couldn't put it down. I had a clue Amelie was going to gete with Josh but on the other hand I was very worried that she would get with Duncan. For me that would have been to predictable. I throughly enjoyed this book and thought it was copletely different to other books I have read.
A definte recommendation
on 28 March 2008
nothing new here, bit of a fluff piece. enjoyable enough to pass the time.
on 27 February 2007
this book was far to predictable for me...everything happend just the way i thought it would within reading the first few pages. its an ok read for when your very bored and have nothing else to read..but there is nothing brilliant about it, in my opinion. when i like a book, i read it within a day, i read this within 5days as i couldnt be botherd trying to read it, it was that boring.