'The 6th Target' is the sixth entry in the Women's Muder Club series by James Patterson, with returning detective Lindsey Boxer on the case after a shoot-out on a ferry leaves several people dead and one woman, Women's Murder Club member Claire Washburn, fighting for her life.
Also, Boxer is faced with a series of kidnappings of children and their nannies from wealthy families. The kidnappers do not demand a ransom, making the parents fear the worst.

These seemingly random, unlinked cases are not quite action-packed as you'd expect from this series but does keep you turning the pages mainly because of Patterson's usual short chapters and the also the hope that something important is going to happen soon. The book loses a lot of the tension of the whole story halfway through as one case suddenly stops and the other begins - a stupid and quite unprofessional move by Patterson, making me believe that it may be a rookie mistake from co-writer . This also triggered my thoughts with his decision of Lindsey all of a sudden not wanting to be with her boyfriend anymore, with no real outcome of the whole situation.

This is by far the weakest of all of the Women's Murder Club books and probably one of the worst Patterson has ever written, feeling like a debut novel that hasn't quite worked. The story is predictable and unexciting with disappointing twists and the characters have also become very unlikeable and dull, making you not really care about what happens to them. I just hope this is a one-off bad novel as the rest of the series is very good, and that Patterson's other (and better) series, Alex Cross, does not ever suffer like this.

It is a book that can be read quickly, so if you are a fan of the series it's probably worth a go if only for the ongoing character storylines, but you will most likely be disappointed with the whole book. I wouldn't worry too much if you happen to miss it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I agree with other reviewers. I used to long for the next James Patterson book to come out, but lately they have not been up to his usual standard. A case of trying to produce too many books too quickly, I fear; and this book is one that has suffered. He needs to focus more on the writing and stop racing to be the most prolific author (or co author) in the world. If he were one of my students, his report would read 'James needs to slow down a little and think more carefully about the content and style of his work rather than focussing purely on the quantity.' or words to that extent!

If you have enjoyed the series, you will probably want to read this as the next one - but take my advice. Wait until the book is on the open paperback market. At £3.99, it would make a pleasing, light read. At this sort of price, it is just not worth the hype!
VINE VOICEon 3 July 2007
This series just gets worse. Here we have 3 seemingly random cases - which have nothing at all to do with one another - welded into one novel. The crimes are all solved without any real detection happening; the police do virtually nothing and just sit and wait for events to resolve themselves. It's pretty much impossible to tell any of the characters apart, or to care about any of them, and they all speak like children.

The unfeasable plot 'surprises' are all telegraphed from miles away. The central criminal character is simply not credible. What Thomas Harris does with Hannibal Lecter and what William Diehl does with Aaron Stampler is rather more difficult than Patterson and his partner seem to appreciate.

The reporter who at one point had something to do in this series this time seems to be there simply to exchange a few cop/reporter cliches. The lawyer is there for a pointless court scene in which - to be frank - both the prosecution and the defence lawyers (supposedly the best of their kind) are incompetent.

Silly details, like the production year of a car, the names of bar owners and what people order for their restaurant meals, take the place of decent character development.

If this were a first novel, no-one would publish it and it is bizarre that a formerly well-regarded author would lend his name to such nonsense.
on 26 January 2014
What a mind Mr Patterson has. central to his story is four crime busting women whose affection for one another is only superseded by the desire to bring the guilty to justice. I love the way his books are interconnected, one carefully leading into the next. He carefully back fills the present with the past like a long playing film. He personalises the characters in such a way that you feel part of the story. The tendrils that spread out from the core see us becoming familiar with their wider circle officer Pat Noonan, SCU good guy Charlie Clapper, Officers Cappy Mc Neil and Paul Chi . Great interaction from them all. In this one there is a ferry shooting, everyone sees the guy do it, he does not deny it, surely he'll go down. Don't count on it Patterson has a way of turning the tables on your thought processes, Poor Yuki finds herself in her new role as a prosecutor up against a previous allay. Could the sixth target finally bring justice for the victims. There's a kidnap to solve and a rogue killer on the loose at Cindy's new apartment block . Its safe to say Lindsay and Conklin are getting close maybe too close. Lindsay tries to connect with Joe following a surprise career blip and comes away devastated. I see trouble ahead and as much as I'm in love with Inspector Hottie myself I want it to work out for Lindsay and Joe. So enjoy the web of crime things have a way of coming together allowing Lindsay and her ace team to entice the criminals into making mistakes from which there is no escape.
on 30 January 2012
James Patterson's The 6th Target is, of course, a thriller. I'm not a particular lover of thrillers, though I wrote a romantic thriller as my own first novel. I read this book because it was amongst a large number on my shelves and I'd made a decision at the start of the year to read all that was unread. I think I picked this one up second hand at a charity shop.
Patterson's book took me some time to enter, largely because I couldn't initially find a character I cared about. But this book is one of a longish series, so perhaps the author assumed readers would already be familiar with his female homicide detective. It took me a lot of chapters to become involved but, once I was hooked, I read the book quite quickly.
With over a hundred chapters, some only 2 pages long, and the usual short sentence structure of the genre, it was a relatively quick and undemanding read. Though, at times, I lost track of who was who amongst the dozens of characters.
Three basic story threads weave through the book and at times I was puzzled about which we were looking at. But the stories are told in linear form and, once I got used to the style of presentation, I moved swiftly forward. I try not to write reviews with spoilers, so I'll leave the story itself unexplained. Enough to know that the book contains murders, of course, kidnapping and other crimes. Such acts should generally absorb the reader and make him care but I found I only started to really care towards the end of the book.
There is quite a lot of detail that adds little to the story and I guess a good fifth of the text could be removed without detriment. In fact, it would improve the pace.
There's plenty of drama here and some moral messaging amongst the violence that drives the story. There's a lot of procedural detective work, and some court scenes, that enlightened me about the US justice system.
I gradually came to know the main characters and slowly grew to find some empathy with the female detective, Lindsay Boxer, and her mission to capture the guilty parties for the various crimes. Naturally, she had a complication in her love life; what detective doesn't? But that aspect of her life was written in such bland terms that I had little response to it. Her professional concerns, however, were depicted with more emotional content and I was with her toward the end of the book as the denouement unwound and the natural conclusion was presented.
Would I read any more of this? Well, I have another Patterson book on the shelves, unread, and I won't be getting to it soon, though it was originally the first title on my 'to read' list. There just isn't enough emotional connection for me. The story is told and I prefer to be shown. But the guy sells a lot of books, so the failing is probably with me. I just didn't ever feel sufficiently involved; I felt like a neutral observer presented with enough superficial facts to make judgements on the crimes but lacking any real connection to the characters that might make me care about them.
If you're into crime and more interested in details than the deeper interaction of characters, you'll probably enjoy this a lot more than I did.
on 22 May 2007
I have always loved Patterson, but for me the 6th target may have been one womens murder club book too many. The book started off well and had some good ideas, but they seem to be strung together very poorly and in some places not at all. The book went off at tangents with meaningless subplots. All in all a VERY forgettable book that im sure i wont be retuning to. I advise read to 5th horseman then leave it at that unless he comes good with the 7th....

im just glad the book was so short, it was finished in 2 sittings, but very putdownable.
on 6 February 2008
I am annoyed I wasted money on this book. I know James Patterson is no great literary genious but at least he usually has page-turning plots and interesting characters, especially the Alex Cross series. That is not the case here, the sixth book in the Women's Murder Club series.

His co-authored novels are always much weaker but this is the worst of the lot. There are two unconnected, random plots, making it feel as though they were thrown together to fill up space because the writer couldn't be bothered developing either storyline properly. The characters behave in inexplicable and unrealistic ways, and some of the time you think they must be completely stupid. The viewpoint jumps randomly and inconsistently for no apparent purpose. The biggest failure of all is the lack of any tension or realism in the storyline. With almost no credible plot and characters you don't care about, there is no incentive to keep turning the pages.

This reads like a poorly written, thinly plotted debut novel. If Patterson is going to continue co-authoring in the future, he should at least treat readers - who are going to spend money on his books - with enough respect not to put his name to this kind of rubbish.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It's just a normal November Saturday before a man opens starts shooting on a ferry. Before he settles, four people are dead and Claire is left fighting for her life. This also becomes new ADA Yuki's first big case. Can she win it?

Lindsay, on the other hand, is trying to track down a missing kid. The five-year-old was kidnapped from a park near her house and her nanny shot. Where might she be?

Cindy has just moved into a new building. But that might have been a mistake since violent things keep happening there. Is one of her neighbors a madman?

As you would expect with three stories, things move quickly from one plot point to another. There's never a minute to get bored. The last couple of books have gotten me used to the idea of several stories, so while it isn't my favorite, I enjoyed it here more than I have in the last couple of books.

Since the various plots involve different characters, I felt like they all got used pretty well here. Lindsay is still the main focus. Again, the characters could be better developed, but they are fine.

For a fast read, this book is fun. And that's all I was looking for when I picked it up.
on 22 April 2013
The gang is back to solve another case, except that this time, there are numerous parallel mysteries running amok in Patterson's THE 6TH TARGET.

Fred Brinkley, a man who hears voices inside his head, is videotaped murdering four innocent people aboard a ferry. He's charged with attempting to kill two others, one of whom happens to be a now critically injured Claire Washburn.

A five-year-old piano playing prodigy by the name of Madison Tyler is snatched off the street along with her nanny, and with no ransom note coming in to the family, things aren't looking good.

At Blakely Arms, an apartment complex, things are going from bad to worse as a dog is viciously murdered, residents are attacked, and people are beginning to suspect a neighbor in the building.

Demotions, pregnancies, relationship break-ups, life-altering decisons -- all of these plot lines vie for space within THE 6TH TARGET. As the four players of The Women's Murder Club set out to get their lives together while solving a series of mysteries, you'll be glad that you're along for this fast-paced, thrilling ride
on 3 August 2009
I've been an avid reader of JP since the beginning: the taut and chilling "Along Came a Spider", the brilliant "Kiss the Girls", even the first two or three episodes of TWMC. However, I shan't be spending another penny on anymore JP books if Mr Patterson cant be bothered to write them himself. I'm not doubting the talents of Maxine Paetro, Andrew Gross et al, and while JP's efforts to assist lesser-known authors are commendable, these "collaborations" do his body of work an injustice. "7th Heaven" is frankly the Lindsay Boxer show, Claire and Cindy barely figure, and Yuki manages to land herself in a ridiculous side-story, which unsurprisingly ends with Lindsay saving the day again. Even Jacobi has become a caricature, "my ex-partner, now my boss", we'd been through so much" blah blah blah. The only thing I am thankful for is that these 376 pages condensed into 125 chapters took me less than 5 hours to read, (including a tea-break). I'm off to re-read Kiss the Girls in order to re-acquaint myself with JP proper.