4.0 out of 5 stars A great read
Published on 21 Jan. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her previous efforts.
Having read previous books by Sheila O'Flanagan, I was slightly dissapointed in this effort. Although an enjoyable piece of reading, it is very predictable and not as good as her previous books.
Published on 15 Feb. 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 21 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
I am a great Fan of Sheila O'Flanagan and I was not disappointed with this book. Once I started to read this book I was unable to put it down and so I finished it with 24 hours! This book follows the life of the ex-wife, Gemma, the ex-husband, David and the new youger wife, Orla, and of course not forgetting the teenage daughter and the younger son. After Gemma's husband remarries Gemma starts to re-visit her memories of her marriage and begins to wonder whether she did the right thing divorcing David.
I thought that this book was brillient and realistic. As a divorcee I could really relate to this book and Gemma in particular. And like Gemma, I too have found a similar happy ending. This is a great book that I would highly recommend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, flighty yet extremely moving in parts, 17 Nov. 2000
L. Cairns (Horsham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed "Far From Over" and finished it within a day or two of picking it up. The story had good twists and turns and the humour was totally up to date. I am about the same age as the key lady in the story and was so pleased with the ending!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable chick-lit, 6 Mar. 2007
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
I was looking for a holiday read to keep me entertained by the pool and knew I could rely on Sheila O'Flanagan to give me what I needed. Far From Over follows the life of Gemma as she tries to come to terms with her ex-husband marrying the "long-legged bimbo". Divorce was the easy part....dealing with her ex marrying somebody 15yrs younger than her was the hard part. Gemma starts the story as a bit of a scatter-brain who can't seem to manage her time or finances but as the story progresses and she comes to terms with her life as a divorced mother of 2 things start to slot into place. Things are not so rosy with her ex-husband's new marriage however.

There's plenty to keep you entertained in `Far From Over'. The quick quips and cringe-worthy moments are plentiful and all in all it's just a really relaxing and enjoyable read. Some people have complained that this book was too predictable but chick-lit is predictable most of the time. If I don't want predictable then I pick up a thriller.....if I want predictable and a happy ending I head for the Sheila O'Flanagan's of the world. If you want a fun book which will keep you amused and always ends with a happy ending then chick-lit is the way to go and you don't get much better than Far From Over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant- very readable, couldn't put it down, 4 July 2000
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Sheila O'Flanagan and it has certainly made me want to read the rest if they are as good as this. After Gemma's ex-husband David marries a seemingly perfect younger woman, Gemma finds herself going through an identity crisis, and wonders whether she did the right thing in divorcing him, hence the title 'Far From Over'.Emotions run high as the story focusses in on the feelings of each character including those of the 'other woman'.I felt I really got to know the characters well. A great book, but could do with being a bit smaller though, rather cumbersome to carry around. Don't take it on holiday, too large.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her previous efforts., 15 Feb. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars pacy interesting poignant, 5 April 2001
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
I loved the difficulties both women faced with the one man and how they dealt with them - being a second wife isn't always easy! And the relationship between the women and the children was really well done (Maeve Binchy but more uptodate). An easy read, but a compelling one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining - ideal holiday reading, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Far From Over (Kindle Edition)
Gemma Garvey is 35, a divorcee who is juggling work and family life. When she discovers her ex is marrying a much younger woman, Orla O'Neill, she can't help feeling ancient and inferior, even though she is glad she divorced an ambitious career man who had no time for family life.

Smart, beautiful Orla may be a whizz with figures and sales but feels a failure in the kitchen. The honeymoon is soon over and reality begins.

With great characterization and real life issues, Sheila O'Flanagan soon has you entwined into the pages of the book and makes you eager to find out more.

The plot may be predictable, but the characters make up for it.

This novel is ideal for readers who love books about the complexities of modern relationship or someone wanting a gentle read.

4.0 out of 5 stars funny , a humour filled take on divorce and second chances, 17 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
I am an American reader who adores British books! I found this book to be realistic yet told in a very upbeat way. I have already ordered another book by this author,which is high praise from me. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars What an annoying book!, 4 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
I wanted to shake these 2 women and tell them to get a life!! the ex-wife and the new wife crying over a man who hadn't the personality of a doorknob! i know its supposed to be a story from the women's point of view but at least sheila o' flanaghan could have elaborated on what made this guy so special...i ended up disliking the women for their pathetic lost puppy "can't live without a men" attitudes.

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad predictable, 12 Sept. 2010
lachbc (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far From Over (Paperback)
The title of the book is a big clue in the eventual outcome of the book; a couple divorces; the husband remarries a much younger model and struggles to bring closure to his former relationship however it ends with a happy, but predictable ending with all parties being content. I like Sheila O'Flanagan novels because you know what you are buying; a perfect holiday novel indeed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Far From Over
Far From Over by Sheila O'Flanagan (Paperback - 3 April 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01