Wendy Holden is my favourite writer. She has a great imagination and an admiral ability to debunk pomposity in all its guises. This novel has a particularly stunning description of the life forms found in a bar in an old French town. Brilliant
Published 4 months ago by AGHall

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply Bad Pastures
Published on 16 Feb 2004 by maxcblue

5.0 out of 5 stars Wendy Holden is my favourite writer. She has a great imagination and an ..., 27 Aug 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply Bad Pastures, 16 Feb 2004
This review is from: Azur Like It (Paperback)
After being introduced to Wendy Holden via Bad Heir Day, I couldn't wait to read more of her work. I enjoyed the crossing over of characters and her flair for making seemingly outlandish scenarios believable. That is until I read Azur Like It. The most interesting thing about the book is the location; I found myself longing for exotic, sunny climes. The plot is thin; any intelligent woman would not fall for the charms of the obvious Nathaniel and who would hand over a first class plane ticket and then sit in economy? It became increasingly difficult to sympathise with the heroin and I hoped she would eventually stop moaning and cheer up. I was disappointed throughout the trouble I took to read it and advise anyone considering Azur to pick up Fame Fatal and never look back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Agony for Azur! Spare yourself., 30 Sep 2007
T. Voget "Expat Extraordinaire" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Azur Like It (Paperback)
I'm a fairly recent chick lit convert. I read one Belinda Jones novel and got hooked, all past intellectual pretense relegated to the odd weekend. "Why shouldn't I let myself read fun, escapist novels?" I thought. So I ventured further into the realm of "chick lit" and found myself checking this book from the library.

It is, in a word, AWFUL. But that one word bears repeating: AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I'm a fast reader, and I can usually push through books fairly quickly. If they're bad, I suck it up, laugh, and share the worst bits with my husband. But this book is on another level of bad entirely.

Its sluggish pace has no rivals. I would read a couple of pages at a time, find myself in need of a breather from the stilted dialogue and grotesquely forced descriptions, and pick the book up when I felt I could stomach it. THREE MONTHS LATER, I still hadn't even made it to the actual plotline detailed on the back cover. Although I'm usually the type to watch a movie to the bitter end or finish a book (no matter how bad), I finally couldn't stand it any longer and put it aside.

The book is so bad, it's legendary. It's become a household synonym for "bad" -- in the same way your family might have its inside jokes referring to inedible meals once cooked or creative experiments now ridiculed, we compare anything indescribably bad to Azur Like It.

It's a little hard to step past its atrociousness to describe HOW it fails, as its flaws are so complete and its possible merits nonexistent.

The grammar is weak, sentences are butchered, punctuation is scattered. The characters are as alive as toothpaste, and their supposed conversations read like a first-draft to a dream narrative. You MIGHT be able to care about the situations, but the characters, locations, and motivations are so transparent and unconnected that the text feels more nauseating than the English drudgery the main character is supposed to escape (assuming you can make it that far into the novel).

Perhaps I can find a more concise analogy. You know how some people tell you stories you don't care about in the first place but then insist on dragging the experience out even longer by cluttering their narrative with irrelevant details and meandering wisps of their own musing? YEAH. It's like that.

Bottom line? Read this book for one reason only: to remind yourself that if an utter failure like this can get published, so can you. Good luck!

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 8 May 2009
Net (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Azur Like It (Paperback)
There's only one word for this - bad.

Poorly written with a completely unbelievable (and uninteresting) plotline and one-dimensional ghastly characters - I can't honestly think of a single positive thing to say about this book. I'm only amazed that it was written by the same person who wrote The wives of Bath, which I enjoyed tremendously.

Ideas plucked from the sky and loosely cobbled together with the merest of connections this book is a complete non-starter - seriously, don't waste good reading time on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Azur Like It (Paperback)
Brilliant book, great price, fast delivery highly rated

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time, 8 Jun 2009
Amazon Customer (The Hague, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Azur Like It (Paperback)
I was actually looking forward to reading this book in hopes it's a good summer read. After all, the blur on the cover kinda said so. Nope. No such luck. It's boring! The characters are flaky, the story is predictable, aside from the fact that it seems to never take of properly. It just... stumbles. Off to the recycling bin!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother!, 7 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Azur Like It (Paperback)
I'd heard quite good things about Wendy Holden's novels and when I saw this on offer, thought I'd try it out. I really wish I hadn't. I've got about half way through and believe me, that was a struggle! I can't go on with it anymore - life is too short! The writing is not good and the characters are singularly unappealing and not sympathetic. I'm not interested in what happens to them, hence the giving up mid way. It's not something I do often, but theres' no way this book is going to get any better. It seems I picked the wrong one of her books to start with but I doubt I'll be trying any others now. By all means, try another title if you want to, but don't bother with Azur Like It!

3.0 out of 5 stars So so...., 9 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Azur Like It (Hardcover)
Reading this was almost like deja vu with the same old Wendy Holden formula. If that is what you are after then this novel is for you. There is the same old mixture of wit, glamour, show biz sniping, romance and a happy ending. Personally I was expecting something a little extra and got rather bored. If you haven't read any of the authors books before then try her earlier ones first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Azur go on, 28 Jan 2004
This review is from: Azur Like It (Paperback)
To start i would like to say i love the works of Wendy Holden, I got her my first (Simply Divine) free in a mag, and since i've been hooked. Her stories are pretty similar to each other and mention past characters, which I enjoy. Her work is also quite similar to that of Marianne Keys. Knowing how much i enjoy reading her books attisipation for this new release was high, especially with how much bigger it is, unfortunatly the only reason its bigger is that its padded out with a lot of drival! Sorry, but this one gets a thumbs down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Azur Like It (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, its what got my hooked on Wendy Holden. I lived in the South of France and let myself get lost in this very funny story set in and around where I lived and work. Ok its not a "believable" story like some reviewers have said but isn't that the point? To have some light relief from the norm, well it was for me anyway x

Azur Like It
Azur Like It by Wendy Holden (Paperback - 7 Aug 2006)