5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Divine!
Published on 29 Feb 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Long on one liners - empty of meaning or character
Published on 31 Mar 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Long on one liners - empty of meaning or character, 31 Mar 2000
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Hardcover)
Sorry to be the party pooper, but I was bored stiff by this book. I bought it full of hope and was trapped into reading it whilst on holiday because it was all that I had. It appears to be written by someone who was very good indeed at writing up the funny, sexy puns that are splashed accross the front pages of glossy magazines - so Ms Holden wrote a few thousand of them and strung them all together with a book binding around them.
But, and its a big but, a thousand catty witicisms do not a novel make. There is absolutely no authenticity to the characters let alone anything in the way of character developement. There is precious little plot, a huge scarcity of plot motivation and no meaning whatsoever to any of the stories developments. Story? What story?
Its very clever and funny for the first 3 pages and then I just long for something real. I just luuurved Bridget Jones, This Life, Amanda's Wedding and Ralph's party. But this was a three minute sketch on a comedy show spun out into 250 pages. Boring, annoying and a wast of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 16 July 2000
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Paperback)
I loved Simply Divine, though it reads a bit like a witty Jilly Cooper but this was a bit of a disappointment. There were bits of plot borrowed from Simply Divine eg: a woman followed by a man who just wants her money. Cassandra is another caricature, to mirror Champagne, but she's not funny. Whereas Champagne was described through the eyes of appalled characters, we actually get into Cassandra's head, as though Holden expects us to sympathise with such a dreadful character. It's just not as funny or sharp or successful as the first and there are so many of these Jilly Cooper rip-off novels about that it's easy to take them or leave them and pick out the better ones. I would really recommend trying Jane Green's 'Bookends' which is so brilliant and has so much more depth. Or Marian Keyes 'Last Chance Saloom', which is touching, warm, funny and poignant. Or Ralph's Party by Lisa Jewell. I'm sorry but Bad Heir Day suggests Holden had a Bad Hair Day when she wrote it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Divine!, 29 Feb 2000
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Hardcover)
What an absolutely fantastic read...side splittingly funny. I thoroughly enjoyed Simply Divine and desperatly awaited Ms Holden's second novel and, boy, was it worth the wait. Hilarious from start to finish, this is one book I know I will read again and again and can be assured that I will still laugh out loud on the bus! Please, Please don't make me wait too long for Ms Holden's third book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable twaddle, 3 Jan 2007
misty (Guernsey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Hardcover)
I persevered with this book because I thought it had to get better, but it didn't. My main gripe with it is that it's all so unbelievable. Some of the main characters were so over the top it was ridiculous. I know it's meant to be a comedy, but I didn't really find it that funny. The plot wasn't particularly rivetting either.

3.0 out of 5 stars The play of words is the play of the plot., 27 Oct 2000
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Paperback)
Delicious observation of life in the upper circles is served, as the author entertainingly, ungraciously, introduces the scenery and characters . The play of words are wonderful, and inspiring. At least throughout the first half of the book. As the mastery of wicked words and bent sentences occupies the main part of the pages' prints, the action seems to be standing waiting in line, like in front of a too-hot-to-trot night-club, not really approaching the entrance.
I found the author's first book "Simply Divine" better. Even though the question pops up here too; will the too-typical-BC-trademark; titles and money surprisingly accidentally follows when the heroine goes for her heart's voice (BC being short for Barbara Cartland), still prevail, the "Simply Divine" had it's several moments of surprise in the action, as well as action.
Action, an ingredient I personally fancy, but then, who am I, coming from a country with the freshest air and cleanest waters, not a trace of good or bad heir pollutants or their reminiscent to be found anywhere, except from some occasional few incidents accompanying the rain from the west in the salmon fishing season, who am I to criticise a person who actually achieved the ultimate goal, of her characters and a great deal of her readers, myself included, - to hitch up a literal agent?
If you enjoyed the concept of the last sentence a hint, I bet you will enjoy the book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Without a doubt, the worst book I have ever read., 24 Oct 2000
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Paperback)
My Mum told me to read this book to see if I agreed with her judgement that it was the worst book we had ever read. I have to admit, I wholeheartedly agree. It didn't even raise a smile (and I don't think I'm completely lacking in a sense of humour yet). It wasn't funny, it wasn't interesting and Anna was so shallow that it's impossible to care about her. I don't think I'll be reading another by the same author. I only gave this a 1 star rating because there wasn't a o-star option !

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Wendy Holden Masterpiece, 3 May 2000
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Hardcover)
I am one of the legions who loved Simply Divine and was therefore thrilled to find that Bad Heir Day delivers more of the same fare as its predecessor but with altogether more structure, substance and style. Strewn with more puns than punctuation marks, Ms Holden's tale unfolds in the very best tradition of British farce, laden with caricatural mirth and Wodehousean drollery. I hear Simply Divine is being made into a movie - this is the one they should go for. Amazing stuff!

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I've read for ages., 8 Feb 2000
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Hardcover)
...I'm starting to wonder whether I've had a sense of humour breakdown. I was looking forward to a really entertaining read; I think I chuckled about once. I didn't identify with the characters at all. I've been a nanny for 13 years to all sorts of people who send their children to private schools. I don't think I've ever met anyone who reminds me of Cassandra....I've given it a star simply for the fact that the built in bookmark was a fantastic idea!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest and most enjoyable books I have read, 12 Jun 2001
This review is from: Bad Heir Day (Paperback)
A totally hilarious modern romance. Aristocratic life (check out Dampie Castle) and the nouveaux glitterati of London are lampooned mercilessly. Little Zac's version of "dance like your mummy" at Savannah and Siena's birthday party in the mega trendy converted Islington prison and under the horrified gaze of Cherie Blair would have to be one of the great moments in literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars a sexy social satire, 6 Oct 2000
REVIEW:
A sexy social satire.
I really enjoyed this book. Great fun, tightly plotted, full of the usual ghastly social-climbers and handsome cads, as well as a truly evil child star (making the book a must-read for every parent who thinks they might be turning into Pushy Mum From Hell). Even better than Simply Divine, which I also loved - keep them coming, Wendy

Bad Heir Day
Bad Heir Day by Wendy Holden (Paperback - 7 Aug 2006)
6.81