4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read
Published on 10 July 2008 by Ms. S. King

2.0 out of 5 stars An offer you CAN refuse
Published on 25 Feb 2011 by madaboutbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 10 July 2008
Well I have to say, after reading all of Jill Mansells books this is definitely my favourite! I got straight into the book and loved the stroyline! The story tells of a girl named Lola who is with dougie. The story starts off with dougies mom offering lola 10000 pounds to finish with her son. Lola is appalled by this and refuses point blank - until she discovers a terrible secret and she has no choice but to take the money and finish with Dougie. The story then goes to 3 years later - and shows a twist of fate bringing Dougie and Lola back together, with lola still loving him as much as ever, but Dougie discovers she was paid to break his heart, and because Lola doesnt want to tell him the truth we wonder can she ever get him back???? Shes got her work cut out but can he forgive her? This story is brilliant with lots of twists and turns - I couldnt put this book down and to me that shows its a good book! Definitely buy this its brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 23 Jan 2012
I loved this book it was brilliant! It has such a good story line i just couldnt put it down! I took it everywhere with me and getting it out to read at every chance i could. It had me laughing out loud which not a lot of books do. So if your looking for a chic lit book thats funny look no further! This is my favourite one yet but cant wait to read more! Buy it your money wont be wasted on the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, warm, light-hearted, funny and enjoyable, 20 July 2009
C. Bransby (uk) - See all my reviews
Another brilliant book from Jill mansell, Lola is another likeable character and you just want Doug to forgive her! I love the conversations between the charcters and this book just makes you smile. Always manage to read these books in just a day they are so addictive. Give it a try and you wont regret it unless you are completely devoid of a sense of humour and don't like light, fun books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Aug 2008
It normally takes me months to read a book but this one had me hooked within minutes; I couldn't put it down and managed to read it in just two days.

As with all of Jill's books, everyone ended up with the most suitable partner; getting there was both tortuous and a delight, although at times the hoped-for outcome seemed out of reach. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnet of a book Gloucester Reader, 30 Jun 2008
This review is from: An Offer You Can't Refuse (Hardcover)
I got this book for my daughter because I know she is a fan. As I had a lazy afternoon ahead I thought I would read just a few pages to see why she was so keen, usually I read mysteries so this one is new for me.
Once I started I just could not stop until I had finished it all. I can only hope that I did not crease the pages too much before I give it to her. I found myself shaking with laughter so much that it certainly no longer looks pristine.
I must steal some of her past collection to read more and I certainly can't wait for the next.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good chick-lit, 27 April 2011
Because of all of the glowing reviews and the interesting plot ( and as someone who LOVES a good chick-lit) I was hopeful when I started the book. Wasted hope! There was absolutely no wit or charm to the dialogue and prose. The execution of the plot was lazy and at times far too coincidental. I also found Jill Mansell's writing style basic. The characters are incredibly flat and the way they are portrayed was simplistic i.e. Mansell tells and doesn't show (Someone will be heartbroken; 'he was heartbroken' and that's the end of that etc etc). Also, some parts were so cliché that it was almost embarrassing (on the characters love of books: 'she craves books like an addict for a fix; she consumed/devoured books) ick

Although the secondary characters were incredibly boring, it's kind of saying something when the female lead, Lola, is just as forgettable. She doesn't do anything bad necessarily but she's inoffensive to the point of just being there. For the main female character of a chick-lit you want someone vividly drawn, amusing or at least interesting! By the end of the book I didn't feel like I knew her. She had no discernable personality; she's like a mish-mash of different things that combine to make a question mark that you're really not bothered about figuring out. I found it annoying how she just did things in the novel - from aged 17 when the books starts and onwards - casually, without any kind of thought process. What makes it worse is that I don't think this was intentional on Mansell's part to show something in her character trait but a lazy miss-sight in creating a one-dimensional, badly hashed out heroine. Sometimes I had to keep reminding myself I was reading about a 27 year old instead of a teen. She was not at all endearing and I just didn't buy her or her romantic interest in the novel. They had zero chemistry and the romance side of this novel was pitiful. Please refuse this offer and save yourself time and disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars An offer you CAN refuse, 25 Feb 2011
Apparently the story of Lola and Dougie, childhood sweethearts who meet again years later, the last time being when Lola unceremoniously dumped him at 17. The twist? Dougie's mother paid a 17 year old Lola a substantial amount of money to do it. The reason why is never really fully explained, other than Dougie's mum making it apparent that she didn't consider Lola 'suitable girlfriend material' for her precious son. Lola takes the money for a 'good' reason, but that's where the doubt kicked in for me - if she loved Dougie so much, why didn't she fight harder to stay with him?

Ten years later and Lola is still behaving like a 17 year old, despite being nearly 28. Dougie comes back on the scene after a very tenuous encounter between Lola and his mother, which is where the story loses any kind of plot it had. Lola's story goes by the wayside in favour of her neighbour and best friend Gabe, who falls for Sally (Dougie's sister) when she moves into his flat (again another long-winded and tenuous link). Lola also meets her real father, who seems amazingly perfect and completely flawless. Worryingly Lola is in the habit of comparing herself to him on a regular basis; nothing like a bit of self-confidence and self-appraisal I suppose.

The main problem with this book is that Lola, along with Dougie and pretty much everyone else in the story, aren't likeable characters. Sally is annoying and quite vapid; Lola is self-obsessed, although she's quick to point out at every given opportunity what a 'nice' person she is; Dougie is just plain unpleasant, which makes it difficult to understand what Lola ever saw in him, and Gabe is, for want of a better word, blah. None of the characters light up the page and the writing style is just plain awful. Mansell seems to love making up her own words to describe things, but rather than adding to the flow of the story, they detract from it and make everyone seem as if they're kids acting in a bad school play.

The ending is wrapped up all too nicely, with Dougie's meddlesome mother despatched of in less than one sentence. As far as I'm concerned, Dougie and Lola, and Gabe and Sally, all deserve one another. This was my first experience of Mansell's work and based on this, it'll be my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book by Jill, 28 Mar 2008
Robert Burge "samburge" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Offer You Can't Refuse (Hardcover)
Another Jill Mansell not to dissapoint, what I like about Jill more than Marian Keyes is that they do vary in location as well as story. I was hooked on Lola from the beginning, I did think that the book climaxed a bit early so it did drag a little at the end. I couldnt wait for this in paperback so I bought it in hardback - something I never do as I like my book to fit in my hand bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!!!, 1 Feb 2008
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: An Offer You Can't Refuse (Hardcover)
I got a bit tired of Jill Mansell books for a while but when her new one came out I thought I'd give it a try and I'm glad I did. The story is about Lola, a young girl who falls in love and then moves abroad after getting herself in a situation. When she comes back her life takes an unexpected turn and her first true love is back in her life with a bang. Lola is a great character and one that any girl can compare in some ways to a close friend. This book was warm, heartfelt and funny. The perfect combination. Couldn't put it down and thoroughly enjoyed every chapter. Yes, it's a typical 'Chick Lit' book but I will definately by buying Jill Mansells new releases in the future. Any book that makes me laugh on the train on my daily and dreary commute deserves 5 stars! Highly recommended and guaranteed to cheer you up!

5.0 out of 5 stars For love or money?, 23 Feb 2008
Sara Chung (SF, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Offer You Can't Refuse (Hardcover)
I can always count on a Jill Mansell Novel for a sweet, funny read. The kind of book for a rainy day. Mansell's books are above the average of this genre for two reasons, the quirky plot lines with multiple threads and the multifaceted characters that become living breathing people. Oh wait, there is another reason Mansell's wicked humor, that always has me rolling! 17 year old Lola is offered 10,000 by her boyfriend's prig of a mum, to leave her son Dougie and never return. Lola won't take the money until she learns a secret that makes the decision for her. Ten years pass and She runs into Dougie again and finds her feelings for him are still strong. His heart is still broken and now he is about to learn she was paid to leave him! Can she win him back? Well, you'll have to read the book to learn the answer, but you have a fun journey ahead of you filled with great characters!

An Offer You Can't Refuse
An Offer You Can't Refuse by Jill Mansell (Hardcover - 7 Feb 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01