5.0 out of 5 stars The Series Just Gets Better
Having re-read all the other books of the series through in time for the release of this book, I can comprehensively say that this is as good as any of the previous books. If you haven't read them yet, I'd advise that you do, as both Marco and Cato develop with every book so to get the most out of them, it's good to have the full story.

If you're looking for a...
Published on 7 Aug 2009 by Mr. J. Bullock

3.0 out of 5 stars more of the same
Published on 11 Aug 2011 by Rich

3.0 out of 5 stars more of the same, 11 Aug 2011
I've thoroughly enjoyed the Eagle series so far, but this latest installment has failed to engage me. Without rehashing the plot in detail, you can rest assured there are plenty of close scrapes, superiors who won't listen to blatantly obvious advice and cavalry riding to the rescue at the last second. Cato was somehow more fun when he was trying to prove himself as a Centurion. Now he has risen in the world, he just doesn't seem as relevant or exciting. Macro shouts a lot, and moves from place to place, but that's about it. Julia & daddy? Yawn....

Also, I had high hopes for the setting of this novel as I love Crete and it's atmosphere & history. Unfortunately the author fails to describe or capture any of this atmosphere, and the novel could really have been set anywhere.

I'll probably still read the next installment, but Mr Scarrow needs to try harder!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Series Just Gets Better, 7 Aug 2009
Mr. J. Bullock (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gladiator (Hardcover)

If you're looking for a new series to pick up, and you have a penchant for big bloody battles then the Eagle series is for you. If you've already read the other books, then the newest addition to the series will definitely not disappoint. I hope we don't have to wait as long for the next instalment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebellion!, 27 May 2014
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
On their way back to Rome, Macro and Cato are ship-wreaked on Crete. The cause of their problems is an earthquake which also triggers a slave rebellion on the island. Even with the author notes I couldn’t work out how much of this was an exaggeration of fact but it made for an interesting scenario.

This plays from a Roman perspective and the slaves (with a slight nod as to their plight) are the bad guys here. Crete is played as badly damaged and with slaves in control of significant areas and starting to band together as an army under an escaped Gladiator. Our two heroes try to regain control and protect the surviving civilians but, as usual, nothing is as easy as they think. This is typical Macro and Cato, well written and easy reading. It felt more fiction that history than the usual novels featuring the pair but I imagine the author is running out of conflicts to place the boys into.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scarrow delivers yet again!, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Gladiator (Hardcover)
To date I have read all of Simon Scarrows Eagle series and thoroughly enjoyed them, this latest sequel does not disappoint, a fast paced narrative combined with historical fact and good dry humour keep the reader totally immersed. Scarrow describes in no uncertain terms the brutality of the epoch and how Rome dispensed justice to those who thought they could take her on. A great page turner.
The perfect companion to the Eagle series is the ROMA VICTRIX wine beakerCalix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker of which Simon is a proud owner. Below is a passage from a review he made.
Beautifully sculpted it is a very handsome thing! The reason why i particularly like this cup is that it features the men and insignia of the second legion, the unit in which cato learned how to become a soldier under the affectionate eye of macro! it's a lovely thing and has pride of place on my desk right now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Must be careful what I write...., 13 Sep 2009
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Gladiator (Hardcover)
I like Simon Scarrow and particularly his portrayal of Macro and Cato who I am sure had to atone to some fictional deity for their acts of war, which surely this far into the extended series must be classified as close to, if not genocide. It is a tribute to Mr Scarrow in that he continues to produce book after book in this storyline which I and many others find very entertaining: he certainly is a very prolific author.

This offering is up to his usual standard and both Macro and Cato continue to add to the previous carnage, although not at the rate that they did when on campaign in Britain and latterly Syria. The two main characters this time are shipwrecked on Crete and find themselves in the middle of a slave rebellion. It is hard not to feel a little guilty as I hoped that Cato and Macro put down the rebellion, when you consider how the slaves were sometimes treated, however I did find myself pleased that Cato was able to save the day and continue the series onward to North Africa in pursuit of the next villain. Part of me hopes that they will make peace with the chap rather than slay him, as although he is not pleasant, both of them were instrumental in crucifying his father.

Just lately a couple of people have taken offence at my reviews of this genre of book. I hope that this time I have not caused you any anxiety at all and that you can at least tolerate my review which as always is simply my opinion on what I have purchased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable if a little Formulaic, 29 Sep 2011
This was my first Simon Scarrow novel. I enjoy "page turners", historical novels, and have an interest in the Greeks and Romans dating back to schooldays ,so thought there was enough to keep me interested with this - and there was.

Well written, and lightly plotted it zips along at a fair old pace with a story that is a little predictable and feels as though it has been written to be filmed.

It does lack a sense of place, those wanting historic detail will be disappointed and some of the plot twists are formulaic.

But there is no lack of drama, an earthquake and tidal wave set the scene, our heroes are shipwrecked on Crete,a slave revolt ensues, our Roman Centurion heroes battle against the odds, rebellion needs crushing and hostages need saving and senator's daughters need protecting.

At over 500 pages I would have welcomed a little more political intrigue, there are only so many times that sword can crunch bone. A visit to Alexandria provides a glimpse both in terms of description and intrigue of what might have been possible. Equally a character based in Rome would have provided a welcome further dimension to proceedings.

Centurion's Marco and Cato are worthy heroes, the slave leader and Gladiator Ajax a formidable adversary, but Senator Sempronious is bafflingly under-written.

The ending, set for the next instalment, I found irritating and perfunctory, whether my enjoyment would have been enhanced if I had read the back story novels so far I do not know. Yet I did enjoy the characters sufficiently to perhaps read back, to see if it is worth taking in the next in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Still churning out good reads, 25 Jun 2014
As the series continues into th later books the plots are starting to weaken some what but the characters of macro and Cato remain strong and compelled you to continue with the series, my only concern is when will it end!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read, 18 April 2014
I have read all the books in this series and i cant wait for the next one they are brill

5.0 out of 5 stars Macro and Cato, 7 April 2014
Yet another for good story from Simon Scarrow read all the series so far. I love reading about the Roam times

The Gladiator
The Gladiator by Simon Scarrow (Hardcover - 6 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01