4.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous and hugely readable
Before I say anything else about this book, I'd like to state for the record that I am definitely not a fan of 'chick lit'; anything with a pastel cover promising a stereotypical romantic storyline usually sends me running for the hills. So when a friend recommended this novel to me, I was initially unsure; but the 1950s setting and glowing reviews persuaded me to read...
Published on 4 Sep 2007 by Veronica Marwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant but not spectacular
If i had seen this book in a shop i wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole - the cover design and pink page adging scream chick lit to me. I really read this book because it was recommended by Richard and Judy and the amazon reviews backed up that it would be a good read.

For me it did the job, in that i was looking for a light read after having read some...
Published on 14 Aug 2006 by H. Adams

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 23 Nov 2005
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
Vibrant with gorgeous descriptions, great atmosphere and characters you really care about. After a somewhat slow start the story rollicks along merrily, offering an evocative glimpse of another era. A great read for travel or commuting but be warned, you might miss your stop as it becomes more engrossing as it carries on.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, 13 Jan 2007
Ken Woodmixer (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
I would recommend this book for several reasons. It is a book thats takes you away from the stress and strain of modern life, to a place where globalisation and commercialism don't exist the way they do today. Afternoon tea at aunt Clares, bliss, and a time when America was still the hero full of excitment and wonder. I loved the relationships between Penelope and her mother, and with Charlotte. This is a must read in bed (Ovaltine optional), it will make you feel nostalic as you float off to sleep and make you look forward to bedtime. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 6 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
I loved this book from start to finish.
From the moment Penelope shares a Taxi with Charlotte you just know that there is more to this story than meets the eye
cleverly written about life in 1955.
very hard to say more without giving the plot away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, just lovely, 12 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
This sort of book is not usually on my reading itinerary, but it was one of my impulse buys and I'm so glad I picked it up. I echo earlier reviewers' comments on how charming it is, and I loved the 'feel' of the 1950s which are evoked in such a realistic way - I can tell that Eva loved reading that stash of 1950s magazines she borrowed and she passed that love of the era on to the reader of this book. I found that when I finished it, the characters lived on in my imagination and I wished I could read more about them - maybe a sequel, Eva?

4.0 out of 5 stars good story, bad editing, 4 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this, but agree with earlier comments that a certain laziness on the part of both author and publisher - letting through so many inconsistencies and anachronisms - was annoying and distracting.

It's feeble enough that the author didn't bother to Google 'After Eight Mints' (before sitting her heroine down to a box of them in 1955) and see that they weren't invented until 1962, but that an editor didn't do - or get some minion to do - a factcheck on things like that is sloppy beyond belief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 27 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
What a gorgeous book! Like others have said, the cover does make it look a little like a chick lit, but it is really not like that at all. The story is set in the 1950s and charts the growing of Penelope and how much her life changes when she goes to tea with a girl she meets at a bus stop and shares a taxi with - before she knows it, she is having lunch and meeting the odd eyed Harry and Aunt Claire.

The characters of Penelope, Charlotte and Harry are well written and charming, and the descriptions of the clothes and the exciting new music of the time make the 50s sound like an idyllic era to have grown up in.

Yes, it is a gentle read and despite one reviewer who said it was boring and nothing happens I would disagree.

I am now going to pass this book on to my mum who grew up in the 50s and 60s as I am sure she is going to love this book as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance for the non-romantic Brit, 14 Mar 2006
Mrs JL Tavernier (Putney, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
I can't remember the last time I read such a page-turner. I used every spare moment to read this book in record time. I was utterly swept away and quite taken with the romance of it all. I was lent this book by a friend and would never have chosen it based on either its subject or it being, essentially, a love story. But not only was it a fabulous love story, but it was also brilliantly written with a flow and a crescendo which was almost unbearably British. Read this and then pass it on to your girlfriends too !

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised how much I liked this, 8 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
I don't read much fiction, and I only read this after getting delayed for hours on a long haul flight (my girlfriend bought it after seeing Richard and Judy). Surprised to find I raced through it - it was a relief to be taken away from the modern hell I was in (airports) to an older world of jazz, rock and roll and country houses. If you don't like books with a retro flavour then you are not going to like this book. But if you are want a page turner that isn't pretentious, sit back and enjoy. The characters are understated and very attractive and the period details made me wish I had lived through the 50's. Charming, gentle and beguiling - I enjoyed it far more than the biography I was also stuck with. Warning to men: the cover is very girlie, so hide it in something else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 11 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
This book came to me at a time I needed some way to escape from my life, and it helped me do just that. I cannot say a bad word about this book, I loved it. Simple as that! It comes from a very innocent era, the perfect way to escape from our often fast moving way of life today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different.., 18 July 2008
Ms. Gl Robinson "houndsabound" (Worcs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Paperback)
I read a lot of modern fiction aimed at women, (i.e. chic-lit, usually of the intellectual vacuum variety!). This was different and broke the mould. Stick with it, and you will be rewarded. Engaging characters, no reliance on hackneyed stereotypes - as is so often the case. The writer's perspective on somewhat traditional English life was really unique. Really imaginative and a rewarding read. I flew through it and was genuinely sad when I'd finished it and no longer had the pleasure of reading it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice (Paperback - 24 Oct 2005)