5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Wendy Holden novel!!
Despite regularly looking up to check when new books are published by my favourite authors, this popped up unannounced!
A great read where you are taken to a quaint little English village and get to know all of the weird and wonderful characters.
Published on 30 Jan 2008 by R. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
This wasn't one of her best books. I read it relatively quickly, but as soon as I finished it it was gone from my mind - so not very memorable. I did find some of the characters irritating, and was under the impression that they were added in just for laughs (that fell flat).
Published on 1 Mar 2011 by Janie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Wendy Holden novel!!, 30 Jan 2008
R. Harris "beckslouise" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Hardcover)
The mad-as-a-hatter vicar whose main aim is to find a wife, the new school headteacher, dealing with falling numbers of children and an odd problem child. There's the eccentric but handsome owner of the manor house, which is secretly crumbling around him and his ever patient wife. There's the new American couple who are trying to fit in, and the mid-thirties solicitor whose wife died in a nasty car crash. To top it all off there is a eco-warrior aubergine dyed psycho, trampling around the town barking orders at everyone. Before long they are all involved in random plots, such as allotment allocation, buried treasure, a WAG trying to build a footballer's mansion and a newly fostered orphan.
A great read with lots of twists and despite trying to predict the ending - you never quite can manage to.
Get it now!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars funny read, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Kindle Edition)
slow to start in fits later easy reading I now have to write twelve more words to submit this review

4.0 out of 5 stars easy read, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Kindle Edition)
Dee K ......Mauritius
Nice easy read...throughly enjoyed this English Country setting and all the different village characters......a lighthearted view of the goings on in a typical village

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 1 Mar 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Light entertainment, 12 Sep 2008
R. Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Paperback)
I read anything and everything from chick lit through to diatribes on the state of the 21st century. I think the other reviewers are being slightly unfair on this book. It's a light, fluffy romp through a small village and their bonding (or not) on their newly acquired allotment. It doesn't need to have a tight plot line and the whole point of the book, and the genre it seems to me, is that you don't have to concentrate too hard on who's who or what's likely to happen later. Once you've read a few you know that A is likely to end up with B and C will run away and everyone will get their just desserts at some point. Of course there are better books but there are certainly worse ones to curl up with on the sofa on a wet evening.

2.0 out of 5 stars nothing like as good as her others, 24 Feb 2008
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Hardcover)
Having loved all Wendy Holden's witty romantic comedy books so far, this is a huge disappointment. It will be a bestseller because other fans will, like me, just buy it thinking she is always to be relied on. Not this time, folks! The characters and plot start out almost as good as usual, but possibly because she wanted a big chunky book, she writes in almost too many people, puts in not enough time on some and too much spent on others, and the end is so sudden and summed up in one quick chapter, that it is almost as though she ran out of ideas - or even had someone else finish it. Very poorly written ending, even though she tells us what happens to most of the people in the village, I really wasn't that bothered by then! She definitely 'lost the plot' with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 6 April 2008
Claretta (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Hardcover)
I've never read anything by Wendy Holden before so I can't say where this ranks in her oeuvre, but I'm surprised by the vitriolic reviews. I thought this was great fun, full of witty lines and engaging characters. I read this while enduring a long-running plumbing disaster and it certainly kept my mind off it. I look forward to reading more by her.

2.0 out of 5 stars dont bother, 28 Mar 2008
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Hardcover)
i bought this book as there was a lot of hype about it and i thought £7 in asda was reasonable for this size book .have had it for a month now and am only half way throuugh . it definately sends me to sleep at night put it that way.yawning just thinking about it .

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially had high hopes for this one..., 7 Sep 2008
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Paperback)
After the absolutely awful 'school for husbands' (have loved all her other novels), it was with trepidation that I picked up WH's latest offering. And with a huge sigh of relief I settled into what promised to be a rollocking good ride of a tale; I liked the characters who were diverse and amusing and the style of WH's good humoured, witty prose was seemingly back on form.
And then it started to go wrong.... The fact that I was speed-reading and/or daydreaming by the time I hit 150 pages was a strong indicator that the story was a little thin on capturing the imagination and holding it! Firstly, the plot was always on the horizon but never quite materialised and secondly, it was just too long. It limped on and on until by the time I was on the home-straight, I was quickly scanning the pages just so i could finish and read something else!
What an utter letdown after a very promising start - read her earlier work but don't bother with the last couple. Please get the next one right WH!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and an easy read, 7 Feb 2008
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Filthy Rich (Hardcover)
I've read nearly all of Wendy Holdens books and this one was as good as the last. The charachters she creates are hilarious (especially the eco-goddess Morag). It's set in Allsop and descibes the lives of Morag, Catherine (the local Headteacher, Phillip (the local solicitor) who tragically lost his wife, Alexandra the footballers gorlfriend and Mary and Monty who live in a crumbling Manor House. It's an eclectic mix that works well and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Filthy Rich
Filthy Rich by Wendy Holden (Paperback - 21 Aug 2008)