5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT IDEA!
Published on 27 Aug 2006 by Louizalass

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work...
'The School for Husbands' is an ok read - I'm afraid I cant stretch to much more than that. I really enjoyed WH's first few books, but the last couple haven't really set my World on fire!
Published on 1 July 2007 by LittleReader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work..., 1 July 2007
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In this instance, the story doesnt actually start to get going until about halfway through the book and then most of it is crammed into the last quarter with loose threads left hanging all over the place. It's main character, Sophie, comes across completely unsympathetically and I was left wondering why her husband actually wanted to be with such a wet, irritatingly blind, pain in the bum at all, let alone want to enrol in a school to sort out his own behaviour!
So - a little thin on character development with a plot that never really goes anywhere fast but an ok, no-fuss, easy read. Here's hoping her next offering is an improvement!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hurried ending did nothing for me, 3 May 2009
Ad Jr Jones "Janiej" (Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
It started off OK, but somewhere around the middle of the book it all started to get very rushed. It was like one of those essays you do in exams - you start off well, then realise you are running out of time or have written too many words, so you précis the end. There was so much more that could have been made of the story - after all, Sophie knew the therapist through her work - but seemed to not even know the woman was in London, let alone having her book published by her own husband. What fun the author could have been had by getting Sophie involved at the School for Husbands instead of being the wet rag that she was with that pathetic Simon and her Mrs Bouquet mother. Wendy Holden also seemed to have literally lost the plot in places. It was infuriating - I thought I had missed something so kept going back to check. For example, one Monday morning, Sophie is getting ready for work when Simon turns up to whisk her off to Paris. He produces Eurostar tickets. Arriving in Paris, she has some packages with her that she allowed Simon to buy, more to humour him "than because she actually wanted a trolley dash through the airport shops". Did they fly with their Eurostar tickets? Then a few pages later, her mother is lamenting that it had been the day from hell since she packed Sophie off to Paris that morning and all the postman had brought today on "this Saturday morning" was a gas bill (keep up! - it was Monday, remember?). It's the first Wendy Holden I've read - and I have a few more on the shelf to work through - let's hope they get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT IDEA!, 27 Aug 2006
This review is from: The School for Husbands (Hardcover)
A recent convert to Wendy Holden books, this one was just as entertaining as those I've read so far. I love the author's humour and deft touches with puns and clever world-play. This story is one experienced by most couples when baby comes along -despite the apparent equality of the sexes it is generally the woman who gets to look after the baby, do the housework, shopping & cleaning etc as well as hold down a full-time job. Tiredness leads to turmoil leads to rows.

Far from being a dig at men's selfishness or inability to see where they are failing (and woman's failing to point out in easy language that she needs his help instead of nagging or 'hinting'), the author shows us how we can maintain and improve a relationship after the arrival of baby, rather than go down the messy road to divorce.

The idea of a husband attending 'A School for Husbands' (how nice, in these politically correct times, to be able to use such a phrase!) is one that many women would find attractive. Perhaps this book should be made compulsory reading by all males? If only for them to realise that it's the little things that niggle (toothpaste tubes, toilet seats, pulled out drawers etc) which, when added up cause their partner to finally flip. But conversely, it should be read by all women as well, and they would learn that generally the man in their life does not mean to be unhelpful or useless, he just doesn't know exactly where he fits into this new domestic routine where his wife/partner seems to do everything so much better.

Perhaps divorce is the outcome of assumptions made by partners that their other half knows what they're thinking.

Laughter heals most things and all partnerships should have plenty of laughter within them.

Make a start with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laugh yet, 27 April 2013
Very funny a good read, she writes in a realistic witty style, and chooses topics that can relate to any one of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars So so wonderful, 21 Feb 2013
I love Wendy Holden's books! It's a nice and actual subject and simply don't want to leave the book out of your hands!

2.0 out of 5 stars not great, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: The School for Husbands (Hardcover)
didnt really like this book not happy with the book at all and wont be buying any more books of this author

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the worst book I have ever read, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: The School for Husbands (Hardcover)
I couldn't even get a quarter of the way through this book. The characters are one-dimensional stereotypes and although the premise seemed to have some potential, the actual story is so rediculous that I couldn't possibly imagine any real people reacting the way the characters do in this book.
The only redeeming quality is that the frustrations felt by Mark and Sophie about their relationship come across as realistic and somewhat genuine.
If you are a Wendy Holden fan then you might enjoy "The School For Husbands" but I for one won't be picking up any of her other books.

2.0 out of 5 stars unlikable, stereotypical, cliched charaters, 8 Mar 2011
I got this book on loan from the library as an audiobook, which is probably worse than just merely in print. At first it was ok, just mildly entertaining, however all of the entertainment seemed to come from poking fun at different characters and their character flaws from the point of view of the other characters. Not a good start.

this follows throughout the rest of the book that I was able to listen too, only about 1/3 of the book, after that i couldn't stand the characters any longer and had to stop listening. The pace of the book in the beginning is extremely slow with no real action NOR character development, its just a big pity party.

there are a lot of just plain bad characters, the Southern brothers from Simon's banking company, stereotypical unflattering and flat American south characters. I seriously disliked every single character except for Helen (sophie's friend) who appears as an angel. But all of them are flat, unflattering, and appear stereotypical, the Southern brothers with their cowboy hats, getting married at 17 etc., the rich, fakey yummy mummies, the scheming mother in law, the distracted husband, and the overworked mother.

The two main characters both seem at fault and I just could not like them. It was not the situation but the author's description. All of the beginning of the book is the two of the complaining all the time, and there is no softening of their characters.

I understand that it is supposed to be light and humorous and "satire" but for me I just didn't like it. I am not saying it is a terrible book but for me, if I don't like the characters I can't really like a "light" book like this, its just not entertaining.

I really want to listen to the rest to see what happens to the characters but I don't know if I can stand any more "satire". Great and funny idea "school for husbands" but poor characters really ruined it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 26 Feb 2011
I like Wendy Holden, and her books and I was listening to this as an audio book and Suzy Aitchison was a great choice to read it. She has the perfect voice for this style of book.

I found the school for husbands light hearted and silly and a nice diversion from heavier subjects. The heroine, Sophie, was a bit wet and didn't know what she had until she decided she didn't want it. I know a lot of women like that. But a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light romp of a book, 11 Dec 2010
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is the first Holden I've read and while I'm not rushing out to buy her back catalogue, I'd read others if in the mood for some light chick-lit. This feels like a book of two halves: the first offers a fairly read-it-before account of the irritations of married life (husband leaving top off toothpaste, never around to look after new baby etc.) although it does offer a dual perspective from both Sophie and Mark's points of view.

The second half is the school of the title, where the rather lovely Mark goes to learn to be a better husband. The miscellaneous collection of men adds some much-needed giggles to the book as they learn to put the toilet seat down (yes, this has no problem with pandering to generalities and gender stereotypes...), express themselves in sentences of more than three words, and discover the mysteries of waxing and fake tan (urgh!).

Typical chick-lit, this is a light and frothy read, perfect bath and bed-time reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The School for Husbands
The School for Husbands by Wendy Holden (Hardcover - 31 July 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01