4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible History
Experts on Napoleon and Wellington will no doubt sneer at some of the dramatic & factual liberties Simon Scarrow has taken when writing this first volume of a series that will follow the lives and careers of both men. Others may damn the books for the odd anachronism or use of modern terminology. If they do then they miss the point of this book and those that follow...
Published on 8 Jun 2007 by C. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this one
I have read all of Mr Scarrows books featuring Cato & Macro, but have to say I was not too enamoured this time round.

The young bloods does not seem to make me want to like his Napoleon or Wellington much. The characters are very one-dimensional.

I hope more will be developed as the series unfolds (though I didn't rate this book highly, I will most...
Published on 5 July 2006 by S. Warren

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to be a Winner, 6 July 2006
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Young Bloods: Revolution 1 (Hardcover)
This is a departure from the Legions of Rome for Simon Scarrow, but he has proved that he is not a one trick pony by coming up with another excellent read although he has moved through history by almost 2,000 years.

Set in late 18th century Europe, the book follows the military career of two men who were to become the major driving force of their respective countries. The two men are world's apart, not only in physical distance but also in their backgrounds and upbringing.

on the one hand Napoleon Bonaparte caught up in the sordid dramas of the French Revolution and the wars that France is waging. On the other the young man Arthur, who is to become the Duke of Wellington, blooded in battle in Ireland and Flanders.

Both men have a love of life and a love of women and their nature will not allow anyone or anything to stand in their way.

This is an excellent start to what is sure to be a wonderful series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly written and totally believeable, 12 Aug 2006
Colin Myatt (Swansea Valley, Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Bloods: Revolution 1 (Hardcover)
Although fictionalised this first in an epic tale has a definite air of authenticity about it. It appears to be well researched and you feel you are there, particularly with Napoleon. Scarrow has shown he has another very twangy string to his bow in addition to the Eagle series. Young Bloods is completely different in style and presentation which demonstrates a refreshing versatility. Others have said he is venturing into Cornwell territory but this is nothing like Cornwell style, it is very individual and should be branded as 'Scarrow Territory'. I've been (and remain) a keen Bernard Cornwell fan for many years but I think he was certainly right when he said 'I don't need this kind of competition'.

Bravo Mr Scarrow, when do we get the next one?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start!, 16 July 2006
Nicholas Peacock MA (ConnahsQuay, Flintshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Bloods: Revolution 1 (Hardcover)
As an existing fan of Sharpe, Hervey, and other military heroes I approached this, my first Scarrow book with some anticipation. His Roman series has aquired a great reputation and I was not disappointed with this, the first of a new series. Considering there was relatively little actual 'action' in proportion to the length of the book, the author maintained the pace very well. Granted there were gaps where it flagged a little bit, but I believe this will be remedied by the books to come, concentrating on the battles of the Napolionic Wars.

Look forward to the next in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Read, 12 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Young Bloods: Revolution 1 (Hardcover)
With this latest book Simon embarks on a new series, Book 1 is based around the young lives of 2 of the great generals from European history, Napoleon and Wellington.
The story Switches easily between life in aristocratic Ireland and rural Corsica, showing the differences in character and environment that shaped these two great men.
I myself have not read much about these two men and this period in history, except Bernard Cornwells Sharpe. I have found in the past that this can put some readers off, but I promise you it will not hinder your reading of this book. This is a great read with easy flowing writing, well paced and full of action.
The characterisation is brilliant, by the end of the book you have real feelings for these 2 men, and amazingly you find yourself switching between supporting the French and wanting them to win, to rooting for the English with their destructive musket volleys.
I have read all of Simons books to date and have enjoyed all of them immensely, but this is in my opinion his best work to date, I think its because the book starts with the main characters from birth and allows you to grow with them on their road to fame and glory! I especially like the little true stories that crop up throughout the book (I will leave it to you to discover these for your-self).
If you are a fan of Conn Iggulden, Bernard Cornwell, David Gemmell or William Napier then this is a must buy for you. (And don't forget to try his eagle series as well)
(Parm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Bloods!, 11 Jun 2010
Je Salter (UK) - See all my reviews
I actually got the hard back version of this when it first came out. Having never really been really interested too much in the Napoleonic period before, I thought I'd give it a go as it was written by Simon Scarrow and I'd read all the Eagle series.

I found Young Bloods to be really enjoyable with 'the read til you drop factor' of his usual books. What I did find mildly odd was that my sympathies lay more with Napoleon than Wellington. I don't know if this was because Napoleon came from a normal background and Wellington an upper class one or because, I found myself think Napoleon was right in trying to give France to the people rather than the corrupt autocrats who ruled society.

The way the two officers work their way throught the ranks is fascinating and Simon Scarrow build up the tension really well as he did with the Eagle series. All the major engagements are explained fully and he does write the stories within the realms of reality, which makes the book and its sequels even better.

This book and its sequels are excellent reading and they got me interested in this region of history!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 April 2010
T. Lindley - See all my reviews
Well up to standard, looking forward to the next , (Question when are Macro & Cato going to get back to Brittania and their old friend Boudica?)

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it now, 27 July 2008
I have just finished his eagle books which blew me away. I jumped on to young bloods, and found it a compelling read from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant...buy it, 1 Sep 2007
J. Mckay "johnnyred" (england) - See all my reviews
This is the first Simon Scarrow book I have read and it most certainly won't be the last.
Very informative, well written and exciting. I literally couldn't put it down and when I had to I couldn't wait to pick it up again.
This book gives a fantastic account of the early lives of Wellington and Napoleon and shows how similar their early lives and careers were.
However, people must remember this is a novel and not a biography and with that in mind should be able to accept certain obvious 'faults'. For example the two meeting each other in France when young. Scarrow justifies this in his Authors Note at the end successfully in my opinion.
I am glad to hear that this is the first of a series of four and am looking forward to the next instalment.
My advice to anyone toying with the idea of buying this book is....stop dithering and buy it. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 Jun 2014
I love this period in history and this book blends a strong feel for the period with an exciting read. Even though I know the "facts" of the lives of Wellington and Napoleon the story still comes across as fresh - what more could you as for?

I'm looking forward to reading the next installments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the Best Historical Fiction Around., 22 May 2014
This is the first of Simon Scarrow's Revolution quartet and follows the fortunes of the young Bonarparte and Wellesley. I found it a fascinating read thanks to the informative background detail and the style of writing which made the story flow even though it is quite a hefty book.

Family circumstances, training and action are all worked through chronologically.

For those that like their Napoleonic fiction. Excellent read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Young Bloods: Revolution 1
Young Bloods: Revolution 1 by Simon Scarrow (Hardcover - 19 Jun 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01