5.0 out of 5 stars An Adult Fairytale
If you exclude 'Good Omens' when I was about fifteen (during my Terry Pratchett phase) Stardust is the first Neil Gaiman novel I have read. I have subsequently gone on to read 'Neverwhere' and 'American Gods' is on my wish list to be purchased when I have made some headway through the backlog of books by my bed. The fact that I am willingly investing time and money on...
Published on 13 Aug. 2007 by C. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and fluffy
This compact story carries Gaiman's whimsical & fun writing style into a classic fairy-tale world; the man knows how to turn a phrase and such a talent provides for most of the entertainment value in these kinds of book.

The story itself is an all-plot fairy tale – one that is complete & utter twiddle – and so nothing to be taken seriously...
Published 4 months ago by perfectly_calm

‹ Previous | 116 17 1887 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
I think this book is better than the movie. Nice ideas and a sweet plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fantasy Read, 6 May 2015
J. Farnhill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and I'd definitely buy more Neil Gaiman on the basis of reading this one. The story is compelling and a real page turner and the characters develop over the course of it. I used to read quite a lot of fantasy fiction and this, I would say, is an excellent example of that genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you had the choice you would live in this book, 20 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Beautiful. I have read Neverwhere and thought it was great however this tale is sadly too short as I could have read on for years! I am no pen-man so you will just have to read it - it will only take a day or so as not a beefy-book - you will not regret it if you like escapism from your stories!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 13 April 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
Had so looked forward to reading this author's book, but was slightly disappointed, I felt the story was child like and over very quickly, the story was a fine tale but nothing gripping, the characters were a bit flat..
Got three stars because it was an ok tale and the book didn't cost me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy tale for adults an excellent enjoyment, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
This is a complete delightful story of a mortal winning a fairy princess . It is very well written and will appeal especially to older people who have read books by the masters of this genre whom the author credits and also early fantasy by Heinlein Pratchet and Tolkien.
Do not miss it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the movie, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
If you like the movie as much as I like, you will be quite disappointed about the end of the book. Without giving anything away, I loved the ending of the movie and I found quite gutted about the one in the book. This one is the case of good book, but TERRIFIC movie. Good for general reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star struck for sure, 15 May 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
I haven't been able to read it completely yet but have started, as I have the image of the movie in my mind, which I adore. I'm sure it'll be the same if not more for the book because of the total "in that world" feeling the book will undoubtedly provide. Love it totally in advance.

4.0 out of 5 stars The world of faerie is alive and well, 14 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
This is my first Gaiman, it won't be my last. I've loved 'fairy stories' as a child and an adult, there is so much wonderful 'collective unconscious' in the old myths and legends.

Gaiman writes beautifully, and certainly satisfies both this 'adult reader' and 'the child within' this adult reader.

At the end of the book he cites some of his obvious mentors, models and guides such as Andrew Lang and C.S. Lewis. I can only assume he has never read George MacDonald Fraser (the Princess and the Goblin; The Princess and Curdie) else he surely would have acknowledged GMF - another fine writer who creates, like Gaiman, simple and beautiful writing and marries 'ancient wisdom' with both the day to day prosaic world, and that other world, and also uses the device of the ordinary hero who touches on a magic world.

One of the real pleasures of 'the faerie story' is that they are allowed to (in their own way) end 'happily ever after' (sort of), so there is a sense of ''oh well that's OK then' with the ending fo Stardust, which might not have worked in a more conventional, day to day reality story.

What Gaiman shall I go for next??????? Treats in store!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
Having seen the film I can recommend the book. Much more entertaining

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not good enough, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
Wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be, though the writing is stunningly beautiful! Personally I struggled a little with the beautiful language as English isn't my primary language. But hey hum. First time I read a Gaiman but it won't stop me from trying a different book of his.

‹ Previous | 116 17 1887 | Next ›

Stardust
Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Paperback - 19 Sept. 2005)