5.0 out of 5 stars An Adult Fairytale
If you exclude 'Good Omens' when I was about fifteen (during my Terry Pratchett phase) Stardust is the first Neil Gaiman novel I have read. I have subsequently gone on to read 'Neverwhere' and 'American Gods' is on my wish list to be purchased when I have made some headway through the backlog of books by my bed. The fact that I am willingly investing time and money on...
Published on 13 Aug 2007 by C. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars "Stardust" is an easy and enjoyable read.
In the efforts to win over Victoria Forester's heart, our hero, Tristran Thorn crosses the town's ancient wall and into Faerie, a dangerous and magical world, vowing to retrieve a fallen star to prove his love for her. Blinded by his love for Victoria, Tristran does not see that she is cold, unbearable, shallow, and distant as the star.

Upon finding the star,...
Published on 5 July 2011 by FantasticalWords.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, Amazing and really cool, 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
I loved the bit where the star falls and swears that's really funny I would recommend this book to Beth starmer

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book - great take on Fairie - but ..., 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
I love this book - great take on Fairie - but then again, I like everything of Neil Gaiman's that I've read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Fairy Tale, 7 Jan 2000
H. Callaghan "Alice in Wonderland" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
I love Gaiman's work in graphic novels - he manipulates ancient myth, legend, and folktale into a believable, often terrifying narrative. "Stardust" is no exception, and some of the imagery, such as that of the Witch Queen and their reflected sisters living in splendour on the other side of the mirror, and the description of the previous star's piece of heart in the box, are quite simply wonderful. The repartee between the principals is also sweet.
"Stardust" is as light and delicious as chocolate or ice cream, as other readers have observed, but ultimately just as fleeting - it's lovely but not exactly a grab-you-by-the-throat, rollercoaster of a read... more a pleasant amble through a beautiful meadow, though shot through with the occasional darkness.
On the other hand, I absolutely loved the poignant sadness of the last few pages, in amongst the jolly ending. That was a brilliant note and well hit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Love, love, love Gaiman and his work. Although very different to the film, still enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, but in a first for me, the MOVIE was better..., 28 Feb 2009
Mr. Darren P. Hammond "shadowdh" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
I watched the movie and loved it and in a long tradition for myself, if I like the movie and its based on a book then I buy the book as usually the book is much better and more enjoyable... not in this case. Dont get me wrong the book is good, as far as it goes, but it needs more depth and substance, both things that the movie provides more than the book. This is a very rare occurrence as it has always been the other way around in my experience. To my mind its almost as if the book was bare bones draft for something greater.

The idea behind the book is brilliant. The characters need more development, as does the story... I felt that, for the length of the book (which should have been considerably longer, perhaps even similar in length to lord of the rings)too many characters were introduced, their personalities not explored and the situations they were in glossed over and not developed. I also found the ending to be almost too quick and shallow... there was no real meat to it, no tension or excitement... so like the book, LOVE the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars stardust, 1 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
One of the greatest story tellers of our times, Neil Gaimens ability to tell faerie tales in ways that a reader can link to events and elements in their own lives.
It ensures that your interest is maintained throughout the story and long after you have finished reading.
A sheer delight from start to finish Stardust is the tale of a young mans misguided ideas of love and the lengths he will go to in proving his devotion.
Tristan Thorn travels into a world where he meets people and beasts from classic myth and legend. Witches, ghosts, unicorns and the stars of heaven carry the story forward in ways that only Gaimen could conceive of.
A great story, fantastic reading for Gaimen addicts and first timers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting..., 10 April 2008
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
I had previously read Neverwhere, so was not new to Neil Gaiman's writing. This is a beautifully written, dark, yet glittering tale of a faerie land that borders a small town in England. Sympathetically drawn characters abound, gorgeous descriptions of magic and folklore, I was gripped and finished this in two evenings.

I shall be reading more of Mr Gaiman's work, however, my only complaint of Stardust was that it was very, very brief (under 200 pages). I would have loved a fuller version of this story as it most definitely could have been expanded on. But this is my only complaint - Mr Gaiman's story-telling ability is nothing short of genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 11 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Basically, it was an absolutely cracker. A delight to read from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very English fairy tale, 18 Mar 2008
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
This is a great book for adults and teens, some of the bits may be a bit tough to explain to younger children.

Gaiman paints this wonderful world from days gone by with great English or British quirks to it and marries it up with the fantasy world that exists next door. The story of an epic journey, true love, false love, greed, power and of course, magic, captures the imagination and makes you look at things a little bit differently if only for a moment.

If you've seen the film (which was good in its own right), then do yourself a favour and read the book - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 for the price of 1, 8 Jun 2008
Bluecat (Southsea, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
I bought this book many moons ago when from a charity shop, put it on my "to read" pile and promptly forgot about it.

Then my husband bought the DVD and I loved it and he asked for the book for his birthday. I duly bought him a copy and then found mine. I read it and loved it. But the film is so different. The same characters and the same premise, but owning the book and the film is like having 2 great stories by a master story teller featuring the same characters, equally as good but totally diffrent in their own right.

If you love whimsy and quirkiness this book is for you.

Stardust
Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Paperback - 19 Sep 2005)