Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2013
Its good and the way it has been writen it make the reader to think. I would by another book by Neil Gaiman.
on 5 January 2013
This book came recommended by a friend and he did not let me down! Interesting story that is well written.
on 31 March 2015
excellent book, couldn't put it down normally a book can take me a month to read.. this i did in 4 days!!
on 24 September 2013
Liked it a lot - can recommend this book.

I have to write eleven more words before it will let
on 31 October 2014
Absorbing, exciting, intriguing. All the things I want from a good story. This is excellent, a must read
on 18 February 2012
This is a very well written book as I am sure many would agree. And the premise of this book is absolutely brilliant, and very relevant to our current times. However, the execution was very difficult for me personally, to grasp.

The main concept of the novel is that gods and mythological creatures, in general, exist because people believe in them. Immigrants to the US brought with them all sorts of creatures (or Gods, if you will). You had the dwarves, elves, leprechauns, the jin and many other spirits and gods. However, it seems that in present-day America, the power of these mythological beings has diminished greatly as people's beliefs wane. These Gods, referred to as the 'Old Gods', are starting to disappear, or more like they are being forgotten, as new gods take their place.

Those new gods are a reflection of America's obsessions with media, celebrity, technology, internet, among others - so you have the God of Media, the God of Radio, the God of Television, the God of Internet etc.

The 'Old Gods' led by Odin (the All-Father) want to participate in an epic battle against the New Gods hoping to restore their standing.

The story revolves around a central character, Shadow, who is just released from prison to find that his wife had died in a tragic car accident with his best friend Robbie, and that she had been cheating on him with said friend. He is then approached by a mysterious man who goes by the name of Mr. Wednesday. Wednesday offers Shadow a job of becoming his protector - or bodyguard - but is not allowed to ask questions throughout their journey. And so begins Shadow's trek across the United States as he meets Wednesday's bizarre acquaintances and all the different creatures and Gods.

As mentioned, the basis of the story is exceptional, but unfortunately, I just felt like the story went on for far too long. The events taking place were very slow, it took me a while to understand what was happening, or why it was happening. There was so much going on all at the same time. It's impressive the way Neil Gaiman managed to put it all together, but it did not attract me as a reader. It honestly took me so long to finish this book, and once I put it down, all I felt was relief that it was finally over.

My favourite part of the entire story was the Introductory Note by Neil Gaiman, as I had bought the 10th Anniversary Edition. At one point he writes that the reception this book got were of two extremes: you either loved it, or hated it.

Well, I suppose I'm here to tip the balance, as I neither loved it nor hated it. I liked it well enough.
on 28 March 2015
A book for adults with open minds. An excellent choice for me. As good as any Gaiman book I have read
on 25 November 2014
a really well written book, constructed excellently and splendid story line.
highly recommended.
on 22 October 2013
I'm a massive fan of Neil Gaiman (who isn't) and this is every bit as good as anything he's written.
on 23 March 2016
I do like a book set in the the real world but that is one step beyond, it gets the mind thinking.