5.0 out of 5 stars Mind the Gap
Everybody traveling in London by Tube, is familiar with the loudspeaker's warning "Mind the Gap", that is the space between platform and train carriage. Reading Gaiman, "Gaps" takes on a much more complex meaning... People can fall through the cracks, literally, not only down onto the rails but much deeper, ending up in "London Below". Richard Mayhew, a young man with...
Published on 14 Dec 2004 by Friederike Knabe

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disapointing
The premise of this story is great, a hidden London below ours. Sounds amazing! I loved American Gods so I was expecting great things and although it was a fairly enjoyable read, Neverwhere was a bit underwhelming. I was never fully engaged with this world nor with the characters. Somehow it just felt a bit thin and I actually thought that I was reading young adult...
Published 20 months ago by PatM

‹ Previous | 131 32 3336 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 19 Aug 2014
S. E. Walsh (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
I loved it. So imaginative, funny and intriguing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Oct 2014
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
such a brilliant book. Hope they make a movie

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent listening, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Neverwhere (Audio CD)
really excellent rendition of a great story

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
Gripping storyline. Fantasy with an edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A conflict of worlds..., 23 Oct 2006
Mrs. D. K. Hibberd-franks "EKF" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
There is nothing that infuriates me more than a novel with a finely crafted, deep plot, and no discernible actual style. I, unlike the 1-star reviewers of Neverwhere, admire the fact that Gaiman always takes a concept and runs with it... simply because his style causes these weird and wonderful plots to be believable. I don't think this is a book that can be bracketed into any one genre. Don't read it if you're a sensitive flower like me and don't want nightmares for a week :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Neverwhy, 29 May 2011
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
If any other author's name had been on the cover of this book I don't think it would have sold so well. For me the characters are mostly lifeless cut-outs who never quite become believable or interesting, and although other reviewers have cited the author's great use of imagination, I honestly didn't feel that the world he creates here stands on its own or that he led me anywhere particularly exciting. It could be just a massive empathy failure on my part, or else a side-effect of many recent forays into China Mieville's worlds, which are some pretty high calorie imaginative feasts by anyone's standards. I'm pretty sure it's not all my fault though.

Better writing might have been the bike-pump these characters needed to inflate them into 3D but sadly the book just reads like someone typing and typing and failing to stop. An interesting start pulled me along (or down) with Richard Mayhew, but as a protagonist in over his head I wanted him to adapt to his new surroundings by discovering new strengths and inner resources he never knew he had. You know, like heroes in stories do. Instead he never quite gets beyond the profound sense of dislocation that his new surroundings understandably inflict and he merely stumbles forward from scene to scene.

Human nature (or maybe my nature) being what it is, the two killers Croup and Vandermar are so thoroughly unpleasant that they can't help but be interesting. Even so, I wish I could block out the voice of Noel Fielding doing his Cockney slasher each time they speak. That's my problem of course, but pushing that aside, they still troubled me slightly. These are two ancient psychopaths who are painted as dogged indestructible killers. If you blink they're behind you, if you run they're already up ahead of you, waiting, and before you can object there's something sharp pushing between your ribs. Yet they spend much of the story being restrained from inflicting too much mayhem by their employer, in whose absence you suspect they'd lay waste to the people of London Below until the drains were overflowing blood into London above. I was left wondering, why should they work for anyone? With such arch talents and base tastes, you'd think they'd have just killed everyone ages ago and moved on to the next planet.

It's a shame that this book doesn't share the same subtle menace as Coraline or the far more 'on-target' humour of Good Omens. Perhaps writing for children allows an author less latitude, less space to digress, because The Graveyard Book and Coraline have more of everything a good book needs with fewer words. Neil Gaiman has shown that he can write more enjoyable fiction than this, but with Neverwhere he's below his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gaiman Rules the World!, 29 Aug 2006
Bagpuss (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
Neverwhere is fantastic. Dark, twisted and humorous. It takes the ordinary and bends reality, opening up a new world. A flawless novel with original characters, unexpected plot twists and an ending that leaves you speechless.

This book is crying out to be made into a film.

If you only read one book in your life - make it NEVERWHERE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy stories for big girls and boys x, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
Loved it, was transported!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Neil Gaiman so far, 28 Nov 2005
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
I'd previously read American Gods and Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman, as well as being a regular reader of his blog.
I think of all the NG I've read (now includes Anansi Boys), this is my favourite. It's wonderfully imaginative and descriptive, with some great great characters. Richard, the main character, is just plain adorable, what one of my friend would call "a shining example of humanity", and I loved Door's quirkiness and Old Bailey's gruffness-with-a-heart-of-gold, as well as the Marquis' slipperiness.
I read this with a huge grin on my face, only interrupted by having to attend a tutorial. Even then, I read it all the way there and put it down at the last possible moment.
Go on, what are you waiting for? Get a copy and read it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Neverwhere (Audio CD)
Strange but enjoyable

‹ Previous | 131 32 3336 | Next ›

Neverwhere
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Paperback - 19 Sep 2005)